Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Woman raped on a bus in New Delhi

DKO

Poor soul. Her only mistake was getting on the wrong bus. An example should be made out of those b******* now. ****, I feel like packing my bags and leaving.

• Like 1

She died .........

I teared up when I read that. The poor family. Hopefully she is at peace. I hope the perps are punished to the extreme!

• Like 1

R.I.P. to this poor woman. :( I hope her death will not be in vain, and her society will change for the better.

There has been atleast 7 other reported cases of rape across the country from the time this girl was raped. Rapes, Female genocide, Dowry, Forced prostitution, Smuggling of girls- This society wont change because the people wont.

I don't know of any other people that practises rape as much as they do.

I hope the victim finds peace in the grave.

• Like 1

It has all been such an inconceivable tragedy from the outside looking in. I feel for what I know are the majority of peace loving Indians having to deal with this sub-culture of arrogant sexist power tripping males who have nothing better to do with their lives then prey on defenceless women - animals.

• Like 1

Shocking.

People have called her Braveheart, Fearless and India's Daughter, among other things, and sent up a billion prayers for a speedy recovery.

When the unidentified woman died in a Singapore hospital early on Saturday, the victim of a savage rape on a moving bus in the capital, Delhi, it was time again, many said, to ask: why does India treat its women so badly?

Female foetuses are aborted and baby girls killed after birth, leading to an an appallingly skewed sex ratio. Many of those who survive face discrimination, prejudice, violence and neglect all their lives, as single or married women.

TrustLaw, a news service run by Thomson Reuters, has ranked India as the worst country in which to be a woman. This in the country where the leader of the ruling party, the speaker of the lower house of parliament, at least three chief ministers, and a number of sports and business icons are women. It is also a country where a generation of newly empowered young women are going out to work in larger numbers than ever before.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-india-20863860

I think this shows that mistreatment of women not only is a 'Muslim' problem, but a 'culture' one. No, it's more of a 'old culture' problem. There are many of these 'old cultures' throughout the World that treat and view women the same way, and India happens to be the largest and seems to be the worst.

It's easy for us to point the finger and criticise - we who have had the benefit and luck to be born in a part of the World that has thrown off these shackles - but, while pressure must be applied from outwith, we must remember both that it was our own women who revolutionised the way that they are now viewed, not some outside party, and that it was only a relatively small amount of time ago that our culture was not so different. 100 years (less than that really) isn't such a long time - it isn't so easy for us to criticise others, free of guilt, when there are still today people old enough to remember when our culture treated women practically the same way as they are treated in India and other 'old culture' countries (and still some parts of ours still do today, for the record).

What I think needs to be done is for the women of these cultures to be supported in any way possible, but it is up to them to rise up and change the mindset of man (and other women).

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

Expand... I don't know what the answer is, other than Government reform and legislation for the population of any country to be forced to treat all human beings humanely.

I fear the depth and core of self-gratification is not only prevalent in countries like India, but all over the world.

This poor womans end of life, sickens and saddens me,I know she wont be the last.

• Like 2

Not sure why this was merged when the thread I started was about the treatment of women in India as a whole, and had very little to do with the horrible crime committed against the girl of this thread.

It had a lot of information and is an important topic to be discussed on its own, not to be lost as part of a thread that is largely full of well wishes and condolences.

Oh well.

Gandhi,Taj Mahal,Zero, Chess, Ayurveda, Vastu, Mahabharata, Ramayana, Kama Sutra, Elephants, Hinduism Islam Jainism Buddhism, Ellora caves, Varansi, Concept of time in cycles-Yuga, Plastic surgery, Mughal empire, Gupta empire, Indian math, Kerala, Ashoka, Tigers, Vimanas, Indus Valley Civilization, Kalaripayattu, Indian rebelion, Indus, Ganges, Saraswati,Submerged city Dwarka, Tamil,BRIC...and now this. :no:

No sense at all.

Edited by the L

Some also want to draw attention to inaction on alleged sexual offenders who are working politicians.

India's top court said Wednesday it will decide whether to suspend lawmakers facing sexual assault charges.

Chief Justice Altamas Kabir has agreed to hear a petition on Thursday from retired government administrator Promilla Shanker asking India's Supreme Court to suspend all lawmakers from the national and state legislatures who are facing prosecution for crimes against women.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/01/02/india-rape-charges-lawmakers.html

WTH!? So, if the politicians aren't even prosecuted, how is the man on the street going to be shown that the laws are there for EVERYONE?

• Like 1

The victims friends says many people passed them laying on the road bleeding but didn't stop, even the police took their time helping.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/delhi-rape-no-one-came-to-help-us-says-victims-friend-578643.html

• Like 1

'Only five to six people are not the culprits,' Asaram Bapu said. 'The victim is as guilty as her rapists.

'She should have called the culprits brothers and begged before them to stop.'

He added: 'This could have saved her dignity and life. Can one hand clap? I don't think so.'

Leading political figures were quick to condemn the inflammatory comments, which one opposition politician called 'regrettable, deeply disturbing and painful'.

http://www.dailymail...ost_read_module

And we wonder why this happened with assinine comments by a religious leader?

Edited by glorybebe
  • Like 3

Indian village bans girls from wearing jeans and T-shirts as 'poor dressing is the reason for most rapes'

• The ban, in Khedar, Hisar province, is designed to reduce rapes in the area
  • Alcohol also outlawed while 'DJ parties' will carry a fine of 11,000RP (£125)
  • Village council member: 'Poor dressing is the main reason behind rapes'

http://www.dailymail...ason-rapes.html

Wearing jeans and tshirts is also dressing like a whore now?

is a nun-garment still okay? Or do you have to have a metal armor on for when you may come across someone with a nun fetish?

Edited by Render
  • Like 1

The father of the rape victim believes this has been an "awakening" for India.

We can't change what has been but it is so encouraging when people find a reason to hope in the face of personal tragedy - this father is flying in the face of traditions where rape equaled shame and victims and their families preferred anonymity to protect their standing in society .Instead he is holding his head high and proud of the legacy his daughter could leave in the world, that is very poignant to me.

That this lady's suffering and death was not in vain would mean a great deal to all who knew and loved her. It is the best we can offer now, to make it an opportunity for changes that will protect other's from suffering the same fate in the future.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t3

I also enjoyed this article from CNN "Mysoginy in India - We are all Guilty".

http://edition.cnn.c...article_sidebar

If India stays the course of this impetus for real change, they could be the pivotal force for change on a global scale - that is something I would like to see and I am praying and cheering for them as a people to make it through this as a beacon of hope for victims everywhere, a proof that the world does care and will do something to stop these horrors in the future.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

The father of the rape victim believes this has been an "awakening" for India.

We can't change what has been but it is so encouraging when people find a reason to hope in the face of personal tragedy - this father is flying in the face of traditions where rape equaled shame and victims and their families preferred anonymity to protect their standing in society .Instead he is holding his head high and proud of the legacy his daughter could leave in the world, that is very poignant to me.

That this lady's suffering and death was not in vain would mean a great deal to all who knew and loved her. It is the best we can offer now, to make it an opportunity for changes that will protect other's from suffering the same fate in the future.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t3

I also enjoyed this article from CNN "Mysoginy in India - We are all Guilty".

http://edition.cnn.c...article_sidebar

If India stays the course of this impetus for real change, they could be the pivotal force for change on a global scale - that is something I would like to see and I am praying and cheering for them as a people to make it through this as a beacon of hope for victims everywhere, a proof that the world does care and will do something to stop these horrors in the future.

I am sorry but I dont think India will 'awake' in any way because we Indians are just a bunch of hypocrites. Politicians, citizens, the media, the police and almost every one has double standards in this country. This father is nothing but a media scapegoat. The girls family were not even given the decency to grieve. This girl and her friend were thrown out of the bus naked and they were lying naked on the road for 2 hours. Where were all these people then?

Like I mentioned earlier, the only reason why this case gained such attention is because of the brutality of the attack. There have been many other brutal incidents. What has changed since the attack? A couple of protests, headlines in the news all day. Do you know how many rapes have happened from the time this girl was attacked till the time she died? This country has been a nightmare for women for ages now. Its nothing new. I don't foresee anything changing as well.

The media has been all over this family. Television channels give her fake names for trp's. They are calling her 'Braveheart', 'Lightning', ' India's Daughter'. Really!? Meanwhile we have all these politicians and god men shooting their mouths off about how they they women should 'behave' in public to not get raped.

Three links for you: This is what the victims brother had to say: http://www.firstpost.com/india/leave-us-alone-says-delhi-victims-brother-576759.html

This is what the victims friend who was beaten up had to say: http://www.firstpost.com/india/delhi-rape-no-one-came-to-help-us-says-victims-friend-578643.html

Another brutal rape from the 70's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aruna_Shanbaug_case

Indian village bans girls from wearing jeans and T-shirts as 'poor dressing is the reason for most rapes'

• The ban, in Khedar, Hisar province, is designed to reduce rapes in the area
  • Alcohol also outlawed while 'DJ parties' will carry a fine of 11,000RP (£125)
  • Village council member: 'Poor dressing is the main reason behind rapes'

http://www.dailymail...ason-rapes.html

Wearing jeans and tshirts is also dressing like a whore now?

is a nun-garment still okay? Or do you have to have a metal armor on for when you may come across someone with a nun fetish?

They banned women from having mobile phones :yes:

This world is such a sick place. Every time I hear of this kind of thing, I can only wonder what the hell is going on...It seems, we are surrounded by evil. I am a firm believer in the death penalty for rapists, child molesters and murderers. Only problem is whether the death penalty can be practised fairly. If the government / justice system / police are corrupt, surely the death penalty can be used for their own agendas.

But everything must come to an end and I do believe that justice will be served. If not in this life, then in the next.

• Like 2