Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Westerns, Do You Like Them

buckskin scout

The "man with no name" films are okayish because we don't know who he is and where he came from.

Sergio Leone westerns possess alot of style and grit and violence accompanied with awesome Morricone scores. But one thing they lack is substance. But yes, the characters are more archetypes than genuine developed characters. There is really no backstory to any of them.

There is another Sergio that made great spaghetti westerns, and that is Sergio Corbucci. He directed the original Django. But it is another film of his that definitely stands up to any Leone's movies and it is titled The Great Silence and is not set in the deserts like the Leone films but in woods and snow. Another grim western like McCabe And Mrs Miller.

• Like 2

I actually haven't seen Red Hill yet (its an Australian western, right?) but several months back I debated about ordering Red Hill on PPV, but that isn't cheap because they charge additional money for a processing fee. That's a ripoff so I thought screw that. Luckily, my local library has quite a large selection of DVDs maybe it is there.

Oh, yeah, that's a ripoff!

If your library doesn't have it, request that they order it.

Yeah, Red Hill is Australian, and I've seen it referred to as a "thriller", and I would have never thought of it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Westerns, do you like them?

untitle.JPG

Firecreek (James Stewart + Henry Fonda)

My Name Is Nobody (Henry Fonda + Terence Hill)

Last Train From Gun Hill (Kirk Douglas)

Flaming Star (Elvis Presley + Barbara Eden)

Quigley Down Under, Unforgiven, Good/Bad/Ugly, and Pale Rider are my favorites :D