Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hands Evolved for Punching?

Hasina

You can definitely condition your fist to be a great weapon. I agree with all the assessments here about what the human hand is built for. It's all of thee above! Tool making, throwing, picking, grabbing, hitting.

Yea, we bad!

:td: So, our closest relatives chimps, apes and the like are at least 6 times stronger pound for pound, yet our evolutionary path let us get by without the strength but yet the hands evolved to punch things. Yeah, that makes sense :td:

Seriously I don't think punching has ever been a big enough part of human existence for it to be a primary reason for why our hands evolved why they did.

In boxing, boxing gloves allow for more face hits, which increases the risk for brain damage. Normally, when we go to punch each other, we rarely actually go for the face, you go for the body, you block with your arms, keep your head low, etc. I think it's more fist fighting between other humans. It's a good way to establish dominance, without causing much damage but it will show ya who's boss.

When I first got into boxing they taught me to hit the bag and mitts with a open hand. Was not till I got my gloves and wraps I got to use my fisty cuffs.

Edited by Ronseal

Seriously I don't think punching has ever been a big enough part of human existence for it to be a primary reason for why our hands evolved why they did.

The claim is that it is only part of the evolution of our hands. Like an ape, we can grab and hold onto things, but the tightness we create with our fist is unique to us. There has to be some reason that we differ from the animals in this manner, and this is the best theory I've heard.

To answer your earlier post: it's not always about 'survival' though. Punching, and fighting in general, is more of a dominance issue than a survival one, even today. I'm obviously no sort of expert in the matter, but I can easily envision our less evolved selves fighting each other for the sake of tribal and personal dominance.

No one is saying this is set in stone, it just looks likely that it is the best explanation out there. However I do see a problem with it. Women's hands have evolved the same way, which would have to mean that at some point in our distant past both women and men were fighters. Which goes slightly against what we know about male dominance and subjugation of the prettier half of the species.

• Like 1

I've always suspected that women's hands were petite for the sole purpose of reaching into men's pockets.

• Like 1

I would say our hands are multi-purpose. Pretty much all of our appendages and joints can be used as natural weapons(Heels, elbows, knees, fisted toes, headbutts, shoulders, etc).

• Like 1

This story is over rated. The human hand comes in multi purpose, not just punching. The latest human hands are now highly evolved with many skills that it can tackle and handle. There is open hand fighting and there is fist fighting. But to state that the human hand has evolved into fist punching is ridicoulous

• Like 1

This story is over rated. The human hand comes in multi purpose, not just punching. The latest human hands are now highly evolved with many skills that it can tackle and handle. There is open hand fighting and there is fist fighting. But to state that the human hand has evolved into fist punching is ridicoulous

I agree. The idea that fisticuffs had an evolutionary impact is ridiculous. In fights, our ancestors would have quickly found out that grabbing a rock or a sturdy piece of wood gives them a phantastic advantage against opponents. And that is, in fact, the reason our relatively feeble-bodied ancestors could hold their own.

The ideas of fairness, sports, and lately political correctness came wayyyy later... and from an evoluationary point they are pure luxury.

This "theory" is a typical eye-in-the-sky ivory tower product.

• Like 1

What a load of ****! The human hand was designed for grasping etc,hand to mouth,climbing etc.The so-called evolutionary process in this article is rubbish!We have feet,legs etc for these spontaneous fight back reactions.Enough! Enough of the evolutionary bull****! Darwin had a theory.It was just a theory that has yet to be proven.Many have been deceived by Darwin.Even Einstein had trouble trying to agree with his theories!Look it up!He had no interest in trying to explain the theories of evolution!In other words,there was nothing of proof to him that would make him make a statement about it! Again,look it up!

Edited by GirlfromOz
  • Like 1

The human hand was designed for grasping etc,hand to mouth,climbing etc.The use of force via the clenched fist has had many disadvantages.Many men have lost the structure of their knuckles by using excess force in the clenched fist position,striking an object or another human being in anger.Therefore,this article only proves that using the fist is not an evolutionary process. It only goes to prove that physically,man has still not evolved to the extent that he would like to imagine he has.

Edited by GirlfromOz

I'd wager that our ancestors best move in a fight was to kick their opponent in the nuts. Same as it is today. (lol)

• Like 2

I believe the ability to punch contributed to the current shape of the human hand. Was it the primary reason? No. Was it a contributing factor? Yes.

No one in the paper claimed that it was responsible for the entire shape of the hand (like so many posters above seem to believe). They are only stating that it is responsible for the ability to tightly clench your fists, unlike apes, who cannot.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

I can reasonably see the idea that our fist became capable of clenching as tight as it can in order to protect the fingers, sure. But anything beyond that is silly.

It is really easy to break your hand hitting someone with your fist.

^^this. I have a boxers fracture to prove it. Besides, if you want to turn your body into a weapon the forearm or elbow makes a faster, more powerful and more resilient choice.

Makes perfect sense as it's still a primitive reflex to punch

It's primitive reflex to lash out violently. A close fisted punch is a learned behavior. One that most people don't really know how to do correctly as they're just mimicking what they've seen.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon
  • Like 1