Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

why do people still believe in big foot

mygrassisgreen

Compared to anything that lives in the woods and has to avoid becoming food for something else. Deer, we see them at a distance, but get too close and they're gone.

slow witted is not the same as unfamiliar. i think those who live in the forested areas have a good grasp on what it takes to survive there.

deer here don't take off when approached, so therefore that isn't a steadfast rule. no they aren't tame, they're just used to living on the fringe.

i could show you pics (i have actually posted them here i think) of a four point buck that hung around with me in my back yard for over two hours one morning.

slow witted is not the same as unfamiliar. i think those who live in the forested areas have a good grasp on what it takes to survive there.

deer here don't take off when approached, so therefore that isn't a steadfast rule. no they aren't tame, they're just used to living on the fringe.

i could show you pics (i have actually posted them here i think) of a four point buck that hung around with me in my back yard for over two hours one morning.

That's probably because you haven't shot a couple of them. When I live in Virginia my ex wouldn't let me hunt near my home because she would have coffee with the deer every morning. She had them named and considered them to be pets. They came around and grazed in the front yard because they didn't perceive her as a threat to them. However, if I came out they would make their way back into the woods.

Personally, I like Nugent but his idea of stealth is sitting in a blind waiting for the deer to walk out into the clear cut, usually on a fenced in "hunting preserve".

He has hunted numerous places, and is highly respected by many hunters, especially bow hunters. I have seen him hunt out in the wild, not on reserves. Actually, never have seen him sit in a reserve that is fenced in. Not saying he has not, that I am not sure of. He has skills, especially tracking, and stealth, and shooting.

I hope he does not hunt on preserves, those should be illegal.

That's probably because you haven't shot a couple of them. When I live in Virginia my ex wouldn't let me hunt near my home because she would have coffee with the deer every morning. She had them named and considered them to be pets. They came around and grazed in the front yard because they didn't perceive her as a threat to them. However, if I came out they would make their way back into the woods.

no this is not the same situation at all

i do not coffee with these animals. no one feeds them around here either. they come for the fruit on the trees(as well as eating all the heads off my tulips the b*******)

they are as wild as any other. and yes people hunt here. it's just that our city has infringed on the forested areas they live. they have just adapted is all.

Point? What point was that?

:w00t: :w00t:

Wow I thought this topic was about big foot but it never ceases to amaze me how easy you can get side tracked on these topics. :yes:

Wow I thought this topic was about big foot but it never ceases to amaze me how easy you can get side tracked on these topics. :yes:

Welcome to the forums, you must be a newbie. Getting sidetracked is an inherent trait of all publicly discussed topics. Just an observation, don't ask me for links to back it up.... :lol:

• Like 1

Two things not to do that I see being done:

2b. Illegal material: Do not post or link to material that is violative of any law or that describes or advocates illegal activities such as taking, growing, buying or selling drugs

3e. Flamebaiting: Do not taunt or bait another member in to an argument

It would be a really, really good idea if keninsc and Sakari were to leave one another alone...completely alone. Do not respond to or quote one another...actually ignore one another.

Welcome to the forums, you must be a newbie. Getting sidetracked is an inherent trait of all publicly discussed topics. Just an observation, don't ask me for links to back it up.... :lol:

:nw:

Good one :)

A little back on topic, lol, but humans are not "slow-witted" in the woods. Our noses are to some extent our hearing is not as good as other species, but (if one is familiar with the woods and spends a lot of time out it them), we can compensate for those with great sight and above all else, reason. And if Sasquatches are but humans who went "wild" due to one genetic disorder or another, they would be just as smart and just as sly/creative as any other human out there. Heck, I remember as a kid, my friends and I would play in the wooded ravine behind our school. It was dense brush and tree in there, and steep terrain, and when one of us didn't want to be found/seen, it was as tough as hell trying to find them. So, while most modern humans are "slow witted" in the woods, not all modern humans are. Cheers.

:blush: sorry

forgot where i was

Yeah, me too.......but it was fun, that is until Mom showed up with the big switch.

:innocent:

A little back on topic, lol, but humans are not "slow-witted" in the woods. Our noses are to some extent our hearing is not as good as other species, but (if one is familiar with the woods and spends a lot of time out it them), we can compensate for those with great sight and above all else, reason. And if Sasquatches are but humans who went "wild" due to one genetic disorder or another, they would be just as smart and just as sly/creative as any other human out there. Heck, I remember as a kid, my friends and I would play in the wooded ravine behind our school. It was dense brush and tree in there, and steep terrain, and when one of us didn't want to be found/seen, it was as tough as hell trying to find them. So, while most modern humans are "slow witted" in the woods, not all modern humans are. Cheers.

Yeah, but our senses are nowhere near those of animals, hearing, eyesight and just plain wariness are all heightened in them far beyond ours. I can't and never could run as fast as a deer, I can't smell like a dog, I can't see like a hawk and I'm no where near as strong as a cougar......the four legged kind, not the older human females that prey upon the virtue of younger men.....but God bless them every one. But I digress.

Animals usually can sense us long before we ever get a chance to see them which is why we have to use stalking and ambush techniques to harvest them when we hunt.

Yeah, but our senses are nowhere near those of animals, hearing, eyesight and just plain wariness are all heightened in them far beyond ours. I can't and never could run as fast as a deer, I can't smell like a dog, I can't see like a hawk and I'm no where near as strong as a cougar......the four legged kind, not the older human females that prey upon the virtue of younger men.....but God bless them every one. But I digress.

teehee

Animals usually can sense us long before we ever get a chance to see them which is why we have to use stalking and ambush techniques to harvest them when we hunt.

But that being said, using what we do have and our intelligence, I've stalked close enough to touch a deer on several occasions. you just have to go slow and quietly, from downwind, and don't ever look at it. :yes:

Something else to remember.....

About every animal in " the woods " is hunted by people. Legally and illegally. Some prefer bow hunting ( as I had ), and about every animal out there has been taken by a bow and arrow.

If we are " slow witted " , then those dead animals taken in hunts must be more " slow witted " then us :)

Here are two things on their own hard to get close to.....

post-92206-0-00207100-1356910142_thumb.j

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

A little back on topic, lol, but humans are not "slow-witted" in the woods.

I strongly disagree.

Our noses are to some extent our hearing is not as good as other species, but (if one is familiar with the woods and spends a lot of time out it them), we can compensate for those with great sight and above all else, reason.

You gave the correct reasons why. And the "above all else" part is what slows us down the most.

So, while most modern humans are "slow witted" in the woods, not all modern humans are. Cheers.

In the context of what your view on what a sas is, I have to agree with you here.

About every animal in " the woods " is hunted by people. Legally and illegally. Some prefer bow hunting ( as I had ), and about every animal out there has been taken by a bow and arrow.

If we are " slow witted " , then those dead animals taken in hunts must be more " slow witted " then us :)

Here are two things on their own hard to get close to.....

How long did it take you to figure out how to outsmart them? How much time was taken in trial and error? Anything longer than a few minutes and your in the slow witted bin. Yes, we are quite capable of figuring it out, in time.

Yeah, we'd have died out long ago. Stopping at Mickey D's or Wally World after a bad hunt has only been possible very recently in context of human history.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

You are kidding right? BFRO's main goal is to sell overpriced squatching expeditions to fringies and rubes. They also are heavily into merchandising on the side. BFRO is opportunistic and crazy. They feed the fire of Bigfoot nuttery without adding anything constructive to the debate.

yes, I was kidding.

Edited by AREA__51
  • Like 1

How long did it take you to figure out how to outsmart them? How much time was taken in trial and error? Anything longer than a few minutes and your in the slow witted bin. Yes, we are quite capable of figuring it out, in time.

Took a while....Did not get a Deer with a bow for my first 5 years of bow hunting. Had plenty of shots, just nothing inside 50 yards. I wish I had taken a camera with me every time though.

Now, as for Chukar, Dove, Duck, Goose, etc.... I am pretty positive I was on them my very first times out.

I think it depends on how one is raised. Obviously, a person straight from LA out of the hood would not be very fortunate in the wild.

Now a person that saw shows on TV, and has learned a bit from reading would have a better chance.

A person raised around wildlife, or hunting / fishing would be a natural.

Animals are the same way. Deer born near housing developments are no where as timid, or " street smart " as Deer born deep in the back country. They have nothing really to be defensive about. Deer in the back country have things that will eat them, and they are raised knowing this.

Look at Emperor penguins....Humans can walk right up to them, as they have no reason to fear them.

So, it really has to do with habitat, and generations before you.

• Like 1

Took a while....Did not get a Deer with a bow for my first 5 years of bow hunting. Had plenty of shots, just nothing inside 50 yards. I wish I had taken a camera with me every time though.

Now, as for Chukar, Dove, Duck, Goose, etc.... I am pretty positive I was on them my very first times out.

I think it depends on how one is raised. Obviously, a person straight from LA out of the hood would not be very fortunate in the wild.

Now a person that saw shows on TV, and has learned a bit from reading would have a better chance.

A person raised around wildlife, or hunting / fishing would be a natural.

Animals are the same way. Deer born near housing developments are no where as timid, or " street smart " as Deer born deep in the back country. They have nothing really to be defensive about. Deer in the back country have things that will eat them, and they are raised knowing this.

Look at Emperor penguins....Humans can walk right up to them, as they have no reason to fear them.

So, it really has to do with habitat, and generations before you.

i was sort of thinking along these lines too

if you took a creature that was raised in captivity and then let them out in their 'natural habitat' they wouldn't know what to do either. it would take them some time to figure things out as well (if they didn't get eaten by something else in the interim)

so it isn't about slow wittedness, it's about experience

• Like 1

so it isn't about slow wittedness, it's about experience

Very, very true. If we were "slow witted" we'd be extinct. Intelligence is a sixth sense so to speak. And arguably the most important of the senses.

How long did it take you to figure out how to outsmart them?

Not that long actually. On my third or fourth try, I got within a meter of them.

We have smarts, tools, and weapons which is why we are so successful, and dominate the earth.

If bigfoot was so smart wouldn't he be competing with us to build walmarts and mcdonalds?

• Like 1

Give them time and they'll take over.