Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are good deeds valueless if bragged about?

ouija ouija

George Lucas gave all the money he got from the Star Wars franchise and gave it all to education, that was a buttload of cash, The fact that he would mention it to anyone doesnt take the amount of cash that it was and dimish it. Like it said before just because someone brags about the deed doesnt bring the value of said deed down.

George Lucas gave all the money he got from the Star Wars franchise and gave it all to education, that was a buttload of cash, The fact that he would mention it to anyone doesnt take the amount of cash that it was and dimish it. Like it said before just because someone brags about the deed doesnt bring the value of said deed down.

he could have done anonimously ...

To give with love and then brag about it is vanity. It is then no love done but self-gratification. Who recieves then the good of what you've done. Let God then boast of you rather than men. For if we honor the Father with our sufferings in his time he shall honor us. But what honor of men shall ye recieve? All the more to boost your ego. The Angels themselves seek to honor the Father and in honoring the Father they are honored. So too should we do likewise for the fulfillment of love.

Edited by nothingliz

If I give a million dollars towards helping starving kids and feed their belly and change their life then a positive change has been made, regardless if I brag or not, not to mention I fed my ego as well, a win win situation.

If a millionare gives a million to those kids just to say he did or get some gain, it does not change the fact that he changed lives for the better...

he could have done anonimously ...

Well we can go back and forth on this subject forever, But the fact is a lot of money was given to education and whether he brags about it or not theres still going to be a ton of money going to education

As long as the good deed helped someone I don't think talking about it would take anything away from it. If you are talking about it in a way that says 'look what I did and you didn't' that's not nice.

Well we can go back and forth on this subject forever, But the fact is a lot of money was given to education and whether he brags about it or not theres still going to be a ton of money going to education

Exactly.

Sometimes bragging about a good deed literally diminishes it. like I borrow you some money & then start bragging about it to everyone that I helped him! He would be helpless without me. lol

• Like 1

The deed would still have value but only to the receiver. The giver did not give since it was a selfish deed for the pride of bragging or some other ego gain by being a giver.

The hand that gives receives, you did not empty your hand in order to receive the real spiritual gift from the giving.

Agreed.

A good deed should help a) reciever, B) giver, and c) others.

Bragging diminishes the benefit to b and also c.

Also even if done anonymously or not c might also be hurt if as in the example offered earlier where someone stops traffic to let someone else in but everyone else behind is inconvenienced.

It is rather simple. Some seem to think there is good and bad but no shades or combination of them existing together.

Edited by I believe you
  • Like 1

So there are mixed- blessings.

Now if someone gives but brags so much that others see it as diminishing what was given, well if that is true one should not assume that the reduction of benefit is soley the fault of the giver who is bragging, you and others also have a choice: focus on the bragging or focus on the what was given and how it helped someone else. Whatever you focus on tells us more about yourself than anyone else.

• Like 2

Wow! Thank you all for your posts ...... very interesting, with some aspects I hadn't thought of. :)

Good deed is to do good stuffs, then soon forget it like a stranger pass by on the road. Then one day you meet him again and he thanks you, you'd say: "oh, did I really help you? :) I don't remember it :) "

• Like 1

If someone does a good deed to heighten their public prestige then the deed still stands, say they built a hospital in Kenya which saved many lives but their only motive was to get in with the politicians and leaders of the place.

The Hospital was still beneficial but the mind behind it is just a kiss-ass. However, if being a bit of a douche gets hospitals built and good deeds done, what's wrong with that?

Take Oscar Schindler for example: Saved a few hundred Jews but also charmed the SS Officers over by buying them drinks etc. He liked the prestige and notoriety but also saw the atrocities that were being committed by those he rubbed shoulders with.

If someone does a good deed for somebody else, the somebody else will benefit from it whether the doer brags about it afterwards or not. Although in some cases the recipient might prefer the 'rest of the world' not to know about it.

The opposite to that is the kind of person who'll go out of his/her way to help someone without thinking twice about it, and without even realising they've done anything special. You'd be hard pushed to find a more genuine good deed than that.

Although in some cases the recipient might prefer the 'rest of the world' not to know about it.

smiley-good-post-sign.gif