Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mosque issues fatwa on Christmas

Paranoid Android

No merriness here: mosque puts fatwa on Christmas

Date December 23, 2012

THE Lakemba Mosque has issued a fatwa against Christmas, warning followers it is a ''sin'' to even wish people a Merry Christmas.

The religious ruling, which followed a similar lecture during Friday prayers at Australia's biggest mosque, was posted on its Facebook site on Saturday morning.

The head imam at Lakemba, Sheikh Yahya Safi, had told the congregation during prayers that they should not take part in anything to do with Christmas.....

See Source for further reading.

Read this in Sunday's newspaper, thought I would share it. Most Muslims seem to be opposed to this and have condemned the call with many Muslim community leaders making public statements denouncing the update, and ultimately leading to the Mosque taking down the update (Source).

• Like 1

Oddly enough, I support them in this. It's their right to not celebrate it. Not like they are calling out for attacks or rudeness. Kinda like Pentecostals.

I like Christmas, but I have a personal Fatwa against celebrating Ramadan. I'd still wish a somber and poignant Ramadan without worry of it being a sin though.

I'm just glad that they have the right to say it.

EDIT: Yes, I am aware that this is not the season for Ramadan... just the only holiday that stood out in my mind. I'm sorry if I stepped on toes.

Edited by RedSquirrel
  • Like 1

Well, ho, ho, ho to them too. :santa:

It is not one of their holidays, so they don't have to acknowledge it. I don't say Merry Christmas to people. If they say it to me, I smile and say thank you or Happy Yule. I don't even see where this merits news.

• Like 4

It's not their holiday so they don't have to say anything, but that just comes off as spiteful and childish. But then again, many sins are.

I'm glad it was taken down and rightly condemned because it seems like it's intention is just to course discord and create trouble.

Edited by shadowhive

What idiots. Most people here in Australia (Probably most western countries as well), no matter what religion or race celebrate Christmas. It's something fun to do. Growing up, a couple of my good mates had Iranian and Cambodian parents, they both had Christmas trees etc. in their homes, not even sure what religion they were but they celebrated it as a festive sort of thing not a religious thing. Like most people I think.

Edited by DKO

This guy is an idiot. Plain and simmple. While Christmas is not a muslim holiday Islam aknowledges the 25 of December as Jesus birthday. Educated and knowledgable muslims go at this day to a mosque and pray a Dova for Isa, Jesus. There is absolutely nothing wrong to wish Christians a Merry Christmas. Whoever sais differently is an idiot. I am proud of my bosnian islamic leaders who not only say Merry Christmas but they attend the ceremonies with the catholic leaders in Bosnia.

This guy is a moron, a hater and has no knowledge about Islam. Where do they find such iliterate orons is a puzzle to me. As a muslim I am offended and would like to kick his face.

• Like 2

To get even we should put them on our prayer lists.

Oh, nevermind, I first read that they issued a fatwa against "Christians".

Now I see.

Edited by I believe you

Well...as much as I disagree with him, I can't change his faith or force him into something he is not. He is free to believe that greeting a simple Merry Christmas is going to lead to damnation in hell as I am to believe he is an idiot. As long as he isn't advocating any violent punishment for people who goes against his words, he should be able to say his piece no matter how misogynistic I may find it to be. Free speech should be there for all - just don't cross the line into hate speech or take violent actions.

• Like 1

This guy is an idiot. Plain and simmple. While Christmas is not a muslim holiday Islam aknowledges the 25 of December as Jesus birthday. Educated and knowledgable muslims go at this day to a mosque and pray a Dova for Isa, Jesus. There is absolutely nothing wrong to wish Christians a Merry Christmas. Whoever sais differently is an idiot. I am proud of my bosnian islamic leaders who not only say Merry Christmas but they attend the ceremonies with the catholic leaders in Bosnia.

This guy is a moron, a hater and has no knowledge about Islam. Where do they find such iliterate orons is a puzzle to me. As a muslim I am offended and would like to kick his face.

You impress me. Unless I am mistaken, you are a Muslim. My family would call you a Heathen, but, well, that's their loss.

It is not one of their holidays, so they don't have to acknowledge it. I don't say Merry Christmas to people. If they say it to me, I smile and say thank you or Happy Yule. I don't even see where this merits news.

But telling their followers that it's a sin to even mention another religion's festival seems a but churlish, at least, doesn't it?

very good point, yes. Effectively he's disrespecting someone who's also a respected figure in Islam, isn't he.

very good point, yes. Effectively he's disrespecting someone who's also a respected figure in Islam, isn't he.

Yup, that is the paradox here. The virgin birht of Jesus in the bible is the same as the virgin birht of Jesus in Islam. His teachings are the same, the miracles.. where Islam and Christianity differ is that we do not think that Jesus is god or his son but a major prophet for mankind. The major prohpets are Adam, Abraham, Jesus and Mohammed. That is the difference and should not be intended to divide.

Unfortunately, in some cases we have some wannabe clerics, imams, who cralled out from a dark hole like lizzards and "teach" everything contrary to what is written. We all have those idiots, muslims, christians and jews. They are the kardashians of religion. Stupid, illiterate, ignorant, unskilled and out for publicity because they do not know anything else. Not giving much attantion could be the best.

Watch this soccer game:

http://ireporterstv.co/football-game-priests-take-on-imams/

Edited by odas
  • Like 4

Fine then, I want that imam to return my Christmas present.

Aaaand just like that, the point was lost in a cloud of pseudo-intellectualism. Yes, Jesus was not born on December 25th. Congratulations on being the only person in the world to give a care.

• Like 2

Aaaand just like that, the point was lost in a cloud of pseudo-intellectualism. Yes, Jesus was not born on December 25th. Congratulations on being the only person in the world to give a care.

Well it's a glaring fact that Xmas is a pagan festival dressed up as a Christian festival when neither the persons birthday they celebrate wasn't born then nor did he preach or practise such pagan ideologies or festivals. Facts are facts! If Christians wish to celebrate christs birthday on this day then that's fine, but don't present it as factual.

Muslims who don't wish merry Xmas or celebrate it don't do it out of hatred it's a matter of choice based on their own religious convictions and facts surrounding the practise of Xmas and Easter.

Well it's a glaring fact that Xmas is a pagan festival dressed up as a Christian festival when neither the persons birthday they celebrate wasn't born then nor did he preach or practise such pagan ideologies or festivals. Facts are facts! If Christians wish to celebrate christs birthday on this day then that's fine, but don't present it as factual.

Muslims who don't wish merry Xmas or celebrate it don't do it out of hatred it's a matter of choice based on their own religious convictions and facts surrounding the practise of Xmas and Easter.

I'm impressed by your understanding of every single Muslim that doesn't celebrate Christmas or wish it to others. It's like you're saying something that you couldn't possibly know. Maybe because you are.

As I said before: a glaring fact that means nothing. You mean Jesus didn't tell people to celebrate his birth at the festival of the sun god? Really? Wow, I never noticed that before. Thanks so much for being enlightened enough to point out such a little-known piece of knowledge.

• Like 2

I'm just glad people are taking a stand against stupidity. Gives me a little more faith in people regardless of their religion.

Yes, just what this country needs is for somebody to generate more animosity towards Islam. I'm glad his fellow Muslims called him out on it. Christmas hasn't been a Christian holiday for a long time.

• Like 2

When I see all this crap going on over religion, I'm so glad I don't have one.... and don't share what I believe in, which makes it easier to avoid any fights.

:tu:

I love Christmas. Awesome time of the year. But I don't celebrate it as a Christian celebration, just as a fun, silly time of year.

In my mind, wishing someone 'Merry Christmas', has nothing to do with religion.

I think it all comes down to being polite. If we all just be polite all will workout in the end.

NPR did a piece on Christmas in India, Christians make 2% of the population but 2% of a billion is a lot. Now even Hindus (religion) are getting Christmas trees.

The Christmas tree itself became popular in England when a German prince married into the family, it was originally a German custom. That was in the mid-1800s.

Now since then it has spread as do other customs, which is normal, has been going on for centuries, people share ideas, customs, etc...

In Japan one can go to a Buddhist temple, have a Shinto shrine at home, and then get married with a white wedding ceremony (Christian pastor and all).

They don't freak out.

So people should understand this, the way you see religion is not universal, others see it different, borrowing is not some big crime, there is no real right or wrongs.

And to be honest the holiday itself has morphed into a consumerist holiday, consumerism is the national religion, and for others they just like to act happy or be nice to others.

Edited by I believe you
  • Like 1