Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Polar bear trade ban divides campaigners

Still Waters

Wildlife campaigners are at odds over a new attempt to ban the global trade in polar bear parts.

Some activists say the market for rugs and ornaments made from the bears is driving them to extinction.

But others argue that the most pressing problem for the species is climate change and the disappearance of polar ice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-20798136

• Like 1

Not to mention the disappearance of Fox's Glacier Mints! I must travel 6 miles for some and I live in a city so God alone knows how the bears manage.

• Like 1

Not to mention the disappearance of Fox's Glacier Mints! I must travel 6 miles for some and I live in a city so God alone knows how the bears manage.

I had to do an image search to figure out what you were talking about. :)

The article initially sounds like two sailors arguing about why their boat is sinking... DO SOMETHING! Maybe start bailing and try to plug the hole!

But, it's more complex than that. I'm against hunting them until more is known about their real numbers, not just 'anecdotal evidence'. Introduce a moratorium, maybe five years while finacially compensating the Inuit. The people who do the end trade in the bear parts can go fly a kite.

That would also allow for five more years of climate change data to come out.

• Like 1