Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why?

blind pew

The strong over the weak applies only to the 'animal kingdom'. Mankind is different. We exhibit an awareness of self. That self realizes itself mostly as Ego. As such, the 'gods' of prophets, ancient and dead, such as Moses, Abraham and Mohammed gave their 'god' Human Like qualities...anger, jealousy, etc.

God was invented by the mind of man and is not logical.

That being said...I have no qualms whatsoever with those who strongly believe in God...even those who do have qualms with those who do not.

IF god was invented by the mind of man, then god would be logical, because the human mind is logical.

In every religion one can see the logic of mankind mirrored in its theologies laws etc. Of course if the mind of man is similar to the mind of god in function, eg self aware sapient and capapble of logic, then gods laws would be very similar to logical human laws And, as it happens, they almost always are.

Okay, you aren't getting it so let me elaborate just a bit for example:

Jesus went into the wilderness. He was there forty days and forty nights. He was very hungry. When he was tempted to turn rocks into bread, he didn't do it.

There is a miracle told by his followers that he turned water into wine at a party when the guests ran out. That is a flat out lie! Oh, no it's not, the faithful say, the Bible doesn't lie. Well, I know it is a lie, because I know his character. He wouldn't attempt to turn rocks into bread when he was starving...why on gods grey earth would he attempt to turn water into wine at a party? He wouldn't.

If that is a lie, why not just pass it all off as a lie? You're cherry picking.
  • Like 2

If that is a lie, why not just pass it all off as a lie? You're cherry picking.

I'm not 'cherry picking' anything...just using examples to explain the character of Jesus.

If you wish to go down that road, all four canonical gospels are also anonymous. 2nd Century tradition attributes them to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, but that is just tradition.

This is the first time I have ever heard that! But it doesn't matter. If you know the character of the man, then you can distinguish between things that were made up about him (walking on the water, etc.).

But, you aren't going there and that's okay. I tend to view Jesus' life as 'real'. He was a 'real' carpenter, because his father was and that's the way it went back then. But, there were all those 'stories' about his birth he heard bits and pieces of while growing up. At one point he just cannot continue being a carpenter...the pull of 'something else' (you call it Satan) made him just leave everything and everybody and walk off into the wild. I don't think for a minute he was thinking about, Well, I'll stay out here 40 days and that will symoblize for the Jews their wanderings. He went into the wild for the same reasons John went into the wild. And he also probably ate berries and locust he could find. And he drank water, there is water in the wild you know. Things like that. Reality happened back then just as it does today and in the moment there is nothing miraculous or supernatural about any of it...that is all attributed later by people who could not grasp the reality of the situation as it was happening.

Okay, you aren't getting it so let me elaborate just a bit for example:

Jesus went into the wilderness. He was there forty days and forty nights. He was very hungry. When he was tempted to turn rocks into bread, he didn't do it.

There is a miracle told by his followers that he turned water into wine at a party when the guests ran out. That is a flat out lie! Oh, no it's not, the faithful say, the Bible doesn't lie. Well, I know it is a lie, because I know his character. He wouldn't attempt to turn rocks into bread when he was starving...why on gods grey earth would he attempt to turn water into wine at a party? He wouldn't.

Okay a, more to the point, example. He spent three years talking about forgiveness and how the church was run by a bunch of hypocrits (which is why they killed him) He knew that what he was doing was going to result in his being crucified, he knew this because he knew the bunch of hypocrits he was talking about and he knew they would plot against him to keep their own power...and on the cross...he forgave them...so why on god's grey earth do you think he would speak about getting revenge on them? It is because of his character. Honest men are honest. Liars tell lies. Something you can count on from a person because of their character.

So the people who wrote the Bible are liars. Think about it. That means it all might be a lie. Maybe there was no Jesus at all.

People drank a lot of wine back then because sanitation was not the best and water, as in the third world today,has bugs that can make you sick.

• Like 2

Then I shall quote another person "It has served us well, this myth of Christ." Pope Leo X.

Interesting you should in fact raise this little issue...........So many will claim he didn't say it, so many will say he did say it

What some may not know ( and I am just throwing this out here ) is that the word - MYTH did not always mean fictional The term myth meant - stories told by word of mouth, but not fictional in that sense ..The Greeks invented that term ( I think ) because I once read - .“Myth” comes from the Greek word “mythos” which means “word of mouth”. Pope Leo X was very loyal to the Greeks and knew their language well

Stories passed on through time, even by anonymous people ( some written down ) were called myths, but again in the context that those stories were true..peoples experiences and so forth

So, if Pope Leo did say - "It has served us well, this myth of Christ " ( and I have a feeling he may well have done ) .. that could be what he meant.. Not that he felt the stories were works of fiction, but the stories of Christ were true, but passed on by various people through word of mouth, then once written down, the authors were unknown

What could have happened ( and this is just another guess from me ) ..Tales passed on by so many others over time about Christ, that once someone wrote it down, they couldn't take credit for a tale that they knew was passed on by word of mouth, so they remained anonymous ..I could be wrong about that, but one thing I am not wrong on is - The term myth ( back then ) didn't mean work of fiction

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

If he never said that exact quote then why use it in the first place? Furthermore, why use his name in a negative light "Niettzche is dead" and then use him positively when you find a way to spin his web on your favor?

Religion and god may give meaning to the lives of many and that's fine and dandy but it works the same way as knowing Daddy is in the house when you fear the monster in the closet. As for saying that the rule of God gave order to society...are you ******* insane? You talk as if religion and god brought peace and prosperity to the land and now that Atheism is on the rise that that order is breaking down. In case you haven't noticed, in today's developed societies, we no longer pay indulgences, no longer have inquisitors killing witches and damning astronomers and above all, Atheists can actually express their opinions in public now without being Hanged, Drawn and Quartered so the quote I used from Hitchen's above stands firmly: Religion has had to sacrifice a lot and I'm glad Atheism rose to it's challenge, I certainly would not want to be living in a repressed and superstitiously ruled society where I can be killed for disagreeing with some idiot in a pointy hat. **** that.

God may be an anchor to the lives of many, and that is fine but all your talk of objective moral values is only faith, we can be good without God, in fact we can be better than god.

I simply pointed out that God is alive and well, while those that have tried so heartily to destroy him within the human spirit and mind, have passed on... Their words may live on a little longer, but that too shall pass.

As for the rest, you can certainly speak your mind, it doesn't change the fact that the world as we know it is going to Sht on a rocket. I wonder who you will blame (since God isn't in the picture of our oh so very modern and developed society) when it finally does?

No that is not basic logic, your "god" is the mirror image of the beast of revelation in your holy book. Death to those who don't worship him. There over 7 billion humans on this planet, we don't need to follow the philosophy of "might is right". That is pure egotism and is dishonorable. We have brains, time to start using them before we die because of some brain dead lunatic who thinks there can be only one.

I just wanna point out, that "might is right" is exactly how most people on this planet behave. That's why their respective countries behave in exactly the same way. It doesn't have to be with weapons, bankrupting others, is just as effective.

If anything, the only thing that has not allowed it to go further is humanities belief in God. You say that God's philosophy is of "might is right", if it were, there would be no atheists, they would have been zapped by God himself long ago... The fact that you can speak as you do is proof enough for me that Gods philosophy is different from what you state.

That certainly works both ways.

What makes your Truth any more viable and true than that of Islam?

Just say Faith instead of being so close-minded as to call Objective Moral Values 'Basic Knowledge'. If it's so basic then why do so many people disagree with it? If it was basic it would be easy to understand and believe but alas it is not.

Are you saying that we need God to be good?

No you need the fear of God to be good, but you need the love of God to truly change.

Your "objective Moral values" are BS. If they were objective, everyone would share them, yet you have millions of people all over the globe who spit on your moral values, because theirs are "SUPERIOR" according to their point of view. Moral values without a scale to wheigh them are as useless as a one legged man in a azz kicking contest.

Human Moral values are not "OBJECTIVE", as a matter of fact they are just the opposite. What is evil today, was considered good in the past, and maybe a few years from now, it will be the new fad again, and it will be "good". Change societies, peoples values will change as well. What may acceptable for the Chinese may be reprehensible to you, what may be perfectly acceptable to you, may be unacceptable to someone else.

God is the only true scale to wheigh your values on, drop him and you have nothing...

The strong over the weak applies only to the 'animal kingdom'. Mankind is different. We exhibit an awareness of self. That self realizes itself mostly as Ego. As such, the 'gods' of prophets, ancient and dead, such as Moses, Abraham and Mohammed gave their 'god' Human Like qualities...anger, jealousy, etc.

God was invented by the mind of man and is not logical.

That being said...I have no qualms whatsoever with those who strongly believe in God...even those who do have qualms with those who do not.

Interesting outlook, but on another thread, the basic conclusion is that "self" is actually the source of all evil on this world.

It is an error of epic proportions to believe that "The strong over the weak applies only to the 'animal kingdom'", it is the most basic and straight forward aspect of human nature, You find it everywhere, in our philosophies, in our politcs, in the very fabric of our society... we can see it every day for ourselves. If you want examples I could give you hundreds, Our nature speaks for itself.

No you need the fear of God to be good, but you need the love of God to truly change.

Are you trying to speak for everyone, or this is your "personal " belief? ... Well this does not in any way speak for me ..I am good without any fear of the god I follow... I can truly change with my own abilities ..

God is the only true scale to wheigh your values on, drop him and you have nothing...

Is that so? Many ( and by that I mean millions upon millions ) will indeed disagree ...Including myself, and I am no atheist

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

No that is not basic logic, your "god" is the mirror image of the beast of revelation in your holy book. Death to those who don't worship him. There over 7 billion humans on this planet, we don't need to follow the philosophy of "might is right". That is pure egotism and is dishonorable. We have brains, time to start using them before we die because of some brain dead lunatic who thinks there can be only one.

Excellent answer

Interesting you should in fact raise this little issue...........So many will claim he didn't say it, so many will say he did say it

What some may not know ( and I am just throwing this out here ) is that the word - MYTH did not always mean fictional The term myth meant - stories told by word of mouth, but not fictional in that sense ..The Greeks invented that term ( I think ) because I once read - .“Myth” comes from the Greek word “mythos” which means “word of mouth”. Pope Leo X was very loyal to the Greeks and knew their language well

Stories passed on through time, even by anonymous people ( some written down ) were called myths, but again in the context that those stories were true..peoples experiences and so forth

So, if Pope Leo did say - "It has served us well, this myth of Christ " ( and I have a feeling he may well have done ) .. that could be what he meant.. Not that he felt the stories were works of fiction, but the stories of Christ were true, but passed on by various people through word of mouth, then once written down, the authors were unknown

What could have happened ( and this is just another guess from me ) ..Tales passed on by so many others over time about Christ, that once someone wrote it down, they couldn't take credit for a tale that they knew was passed on by word of mouth, so they remained anonymous ..I could be wrong about that, but one thing I am not wrong on is - The term myth ( back then ) didn't mean work of fiction

Hi BM,

I hope all is well with you... :st

Now in regards to your post, I need to repeat what i said earlier... the quote is taken from a play. There is n't a single itsy bitsy shred of evidence ANYWHERE, that he ever said such a thing.

That being said, that particular Pope was anything but a believer, just as the one before him. They were politicians, pure and simple. Murder, Rape, Blackmail, Coercion, Fraud, all was acceptable, to gain the highest office in the land and keep it... Real believing christians were slaughtered left right and center by these mens unquenchable thirst for power. Let their family names bring what you know of history to mind, the de' Medicis' and the Borgia.

If you want my worship you need to give something in return.

And so God turned into Santa Claus in the sky for adults.

Maybe the universe exploded out of the head of a pin because God farted. And our universe is so microscopically insignificant to the Multiverse that is God's that he's not going to be micromanaging every fine detail of every skeptical believer's life, such as whether or not they find a parking space, or whether their team wins its Bowl game, or whether Aunt Lucy survives her bout with cancer, or whether Johnny gets into Harvard (and so forth, ad infinitum)

• Like 1

Hi BM,

I hope all is well with you... :st

Now in regards to your post, I need to repeat what i said earlier... the quote is taken from a play. There is n't a single itsy bitsy shred of evidence ANYWHERE, that he ever said such a thing.

Hope all is well with you too

I am not buying what you have posted as evidence that the pope did not say it. If I did agree with your post when I first read it, I would have said something... I had already read your side before I posted anything on that matter . I stand by what I posted originally on that subject.

The word myth back then did not mean fiction..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Hope all is well with you too

I am not buying what you have posted as evidence that the pope did not say it. If I did agree with your post when I first read it, I would have said something... I had already read your side before I posted anything on that matter . I stand by what I posted originally on that subject.

The word myth back then did not mean fiction..

I know, it still does not change the fact that there is no single document anywhere that quotes him saying sucha thing... go figure. If you are willing to believe a line from a play who am I to change your mind...

You talk as if religion and god brought peace and prosperity to the land and now that Atheism is on the rise that that order is breaking down.

My word, that itself is a narrow minded and hateful idea.. It reeks of hate and discrimination towards Atheists as a whole..

Are you trying to speak for everyone, or this is your "personal " belief? ... Well this does not in any way speak for me ..I am good without any fear of the god I follow... I can truly change with my own abilities ..

No I do not speak for everyone, otherise we wouldn't be having this debate, but I believe I can speak for those who know and believe the bible. As it so clearly states... "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is insight."

Since most people don't have the slightest idea why this is important, here is an interesting article. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=5&sqi=2&ved=0CEgQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.derekprince.org%2FPublisher%2FFile.aspx%3Fid%3D1000021515&ei=2nzkUNvQB9C4hAeh4IGABg&usg=AFQjCNE6RjPpkCHiWlWJcWqooIsyMehK_w

Is that so? Many ( and by that I mean millions upon millions ) will indeed disagree ...Including myself, and I am no atheist

And that is exactly my point, when multitudes disagree on the most basic of things like "objective moral values", who is right? Without a superior scale to measure up to, you are just one of many with an opinion no more valid than the next person. When that opinion is acted upon, you will face others who may well be insulted by your actions, because their moral stance is is radically different from yours.

I know, it still does not change the fact that there is no single document anywhere that quotes him saying sucha thing... go figure. If you are willing to believe a line from a play who am I to change your mind...

I have read the source as to where you ( I believe you may have ) copied and pasted your previous info on -> http://tektonics.org...peleox.html I could be wrong, but it looks to me that was the source you were using.. as you had not posted the link, not that it matters I could find it easy enough... From reading all though that entire source, I figured that there is no evidence that this was the first and ONLY place that line came from ..He doesn't mention the word myth, but uses fable instead..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I simply pointed out that God is alive and well, while those that have tried so heartily to destroy him within the human spirit and mind, have passed on... Their words may live on a little longer, but that too shall pass.

As for the rest, you can certainly speak your mind, it doesn't change the fact that the world as we know it is going to Sht on a rocket. I wonder who you will blame (since God isn't in the picture of our oh so very modern and developed society) when it finally does?

I will blame humans. It's always been human's, using god as a cover-up for their killings and saying "god does it, so can I, god told me to". I can't blame god for deeds of humans because the way I see it, he was never there but his name was used for fearmongering and thus terrible actions were committed and inadvertently were allowed.

God is alive and well in the minds of those who believe in him, for those who do not, he is dead and at the end of the day it's all personal belief and no one will change that no matter how loud they shout for their cause be it for or against God.

Your "objective Moral values" are BS. If they were objective, everyone would share them, yet you have millions of people all over the globe who spit on your moral values, because theirs are "SUPERIOR" according to their point of view. Moral values without a scale to wheigh them are as useless as a one legged man in a azz kicking contest.

Human Moral values are not "OBJECTIVE", as a matter of fact they are just the opposite. What is evil today, was considered good in the past, and maybe a few years from now, it will be the new fad again, and it will be "good". Change societies, peoples values will change as well. What may acceptable for the Chinese may be reprehensible to you, what may be perfectly acceptable to you, may be unacceptable to someone else.

They aren't my Objective Moral Values, they are yours. Perhaps you got that part mixed up. Objective means they are absolute and handed down by God. I'm not referring to human moral values because as you have said and as I have said in previous posts, they can and will continue to change but Objective Moral Values never change and you should know that being a believer.

As for needing the fear of God to be good, thank you for saying that, it's all I needed to hear. I'll refer you to Einstein now.

if-people-are-good-only-because-they-fear-punishment-and-hope-for-reward-then-we-are-a-sorry-lot-indeed-albert-einstein.jpg?w=630

Edited by Sean93

My word, that itself is a narrow minded and hateful idea.. It reeks of hate and discrimination towards Atheists as a whole..

I'm confused by this.

You don't think I mean that coming from me do you? Did you read my full post? I was referring to Jor-El's thinking that if Religion/ the God Idea dies and Atheism rises, that the world will become pillaged by hate and lawlessness...something I disagree with, over the years it's been quite the opposite in fact.

• Like 2

I have read the source as to where you ( I believe you may have ) copied and pasted your previous info on -> http://tektonics.org...peleox.html I could be wrong, but it looks to me that was the source you were using.. as you had not posted the link, not that it matters I could find it easy enough... From reading all though that entire source, I figured that there is no evidence that this was the first and ONLY place that line came from ..He doesn't mention the word myth, but uses fable instead..

The reason why he doesn't mention the word myth, but fable, is because that is the word that is translated from the Latin "fabula", which means "story, play, narrative, account, tale," literally "that which is told".

It is also related to the word fabulous in the sense of "incredible" and "fantastic".

Now the point is that modern day quoters have essentially substituted the word fable for "myth". It doesn't change a thing, the word myth comes from the Latin "mythus" and the greek "mythos", which means "speech, thought, story, rumour, anything delivered by word of mouth," of unknown origin.

What is important is that neither word had the meaning of "invention", "lie", "deception", as it is applied today. The modern understanding of the word did not exist until 1840.

The site you used was one of a dozen I went to. I have yet to find a single historical source for the quote besides a satirical play by John Bale. Be so kind as to give us one if you can find it.

Edited by Jor-el

I will blame humans. It's always been human's, using god as a cover-up for their killings and saying "god does it, so can I, god told me to". I can't blame god for deeds of humans because the way I see it, he was never there but his name was used for fearmongering and thus terrible actions were committed and inadvertently were allowed.

God is alive and well in the minds of those who believe in him, for those who do not, he is dead and at the end of the day it's all personal belief and no one will change that no matter how loud they shout for their cause be it for or against God.

Oh and what cover up do unbelievers use, for their killings... let me guess, psychopathic schizophrenia? Or temporary insanity? Or a tough childhhod.... take your pick...

I don't believe in god, but i lets just assume he is real... isn't god supposed to be omniscient? If god is omniscient, then he knows which choices a person will make during his life, so that means there is no free will, so then it must be gods fault. If there is free will, then god can not know the future, and then he isnt omniscient, and then he isnt god...

• Like 1

Oh and what cover up do unbelievers use, for their killings... let me guess, psychopathic schizophrenia? Or temporary insanity? Or a tough childhhod.... take your pick...

You seem to be going a bit loopy now, are you all right?