Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The internet is leaving children brain-dead

Still Waters

One of Britain's leading inventors has warned that a 'Google generation' who rely on the internet for everything are in danger of becoming 'brain-dead'.

Trevor Baylis, who invented the wind-up radio, said children are losing creativity and practical skills because they spend too much time in front of screens.

The 75-year-old said he fears that the next generation of inventors is being lost, with young people often unable to make anything with their hands.

http://www.dailymail...ity-skills.html

like, omg.

# like totes lol.

I think it is hard to judge where the internet is taking us because it is unlike anything that has come before it. It has most definitely made the world a much smaller place and knowledge is so readily available it is amazing. Is that good or bad? Is it better to have to work to get answers or is having a massive research library at your fingertips a good thing (including all the BS out there)?

Tbh I think video games are more likely to leave kids brain-dead.

The Internet as well as being an source of entertainment is also one big instruction manual.

How can you possibly say that through this information you can't actually invent anything.

Besides through the benefit of typing stuff on your keyboard the secretarial pool will never be empty.

You couldn't get a more practical use of your hands besides holding and gripping stuff.

The world would be a dark,dismal place without the Internet.

With all this recent stuff coming through you can easily imagine them switching off the network.

They should be focusing on the benefits of the Internet instead of condemning it.

a 75 year old that can't imagine new ways of thinking - there's a shock.

Children and young adults are still inventive but in other ways. Some - mainly older - ppl just can't see nor accept that. It's sad.

• Like 2

These are brain dead children?

Give me a break. Ill show you some real brain dead kids if you need a link just ask.

These are brain dead children?

Give me a break. Ill show you some real brain dead kids if you need a link just ask.

What's that video supposed to signify?

I don't see any game consoles or any plugs for one.

Tbh my statement won't win any fair play awards.

But I definetly didnt say that video games made kids brain-dead.

For all you know there could be an 15% chance while the Internet is considerably less.

If I truly believed this it'll be good as saying milk is white and the planet Mars is red.

However it's more likely the other way round for all the good that the statement does.

Edited by Medium Brown

This article is leaving me brain dead.

• Like 3

I often felt that way in the depressing, dark and dismal world of the 1980s when I grew up.

Insert giant eye roll here.

What's that video supposed to signify?

Homemade video and editing is a computer skill often done by home taught computer brain deads as the Topic Title would suggest. Saying theres more to it then saying video games are bad therefore computers must be bad...Its a lame argument. Computers are beneficial. Not to mention thats a inventive video. I gave it a thumbs up.

• Like 1

Homemade video and editing is a computer skill often done by home taught computer brain deads as the Topic Title would suggest. Saying theres more to it then saying video games are bad therefore computers must be bad...Its a lame argument. Computers are beneficial. Not to mention thats a inventive video. I gave it a thumbs up.

Exactly the point the I got from you putting up the video. I watch a YouTuber who goes by the name Chuggaaconroy and a few Internet reviewers of things like comics, '80's shot on s**tty-o movies, and things like that. The internet's not leaving us brain dead, it's extending our brains out to others.

Exactly the point the I got from you putting up the video. I watch a YouTuber who goes by the name Chuggaaconroy and a few Internet reviewers of things like comics, '80's shot on s**tty-o movies, and things like that. The internet's not leaving us brain dead, it's extending our brains out to others.

I've totally got the wrong end of the stick here.

You wern't referring to me but Baylis himself.

The guy who kicked off this nonsense theory.

So what you was doing was pretty similar to what those media arts students did with the " eagle" and toddler.

However your's is more innocent and not meant as some cynical hoax.

Tbh I was extolling the Internet's virtues throughout all this.

I didn't realise one thing led to an other and I did kinda go off a tangent with the video games.

Now I know what I know I can see your video in a different light.

Children born in an age of internet are still creative, just in different ways. We can not become brain-dead when more books are made through self publication made easier with the internet, and information on the internet.

We were creative painting on canvases without the internet, we're creative now on digital canvases.

He's just bitter his invention didn't take off and digital radios did

Tbh I think video games are more likely to leave kids brain-dead.

The Internet as well as being an source of entertainment is also one big instruction manual.

How can you possibly say that through this information you can't actually invent anything.

Besides through the benefit of typing stuff on your keyboard the secretarial pool will never be empty.

You couldn't get a more practical use of your hands besides holding and gripping stuff.

With all this recent stuff coming through you can easily imagine them switching off the network.

They should be focusing on the benefits of the Internet instead of condemning it.

Just stating video games like that is quite a broad statement. There are a lot of different types of games out there.

Although I somewhat agree. There are mindless games and then there are games that unlock new interests, broaden creativity, improve leadership and group management, financial management, political viewpoints, expression of art, etc. I can show you an example of each if you'd like.

As far as the topic subject is concerned. I Think it depends on the way you use it. Some children use it as a tool to learn a wide array of things on their own. Others just simply type in the question and get an answer. Also coupled with the various online addictions kids can fall prey to which results in mindless, pointless, almost regressive activities.

I've seen kids at age 13 or so uploading iPhone application development tutorials and such from what they've learnt online. But then I've seen those at the same age posting up pointless statuses, pictures and such and obsess over the amount of attention they receive which really doesn't do them any good and is regressive behaviour.

In the end it comes down to as I explain before, how you use it.

• Like 1

That's the thing, though, Trevor Bayliss isn't talking about computer and Inter Net related skills, he's talking about practical skills and things not involving Computers. He's saying that if people might find themsleves in situations where any number of computer or video game skillz wouldn't be any use to them, the only thing they'd be able to do would be to post an update on Tw*tter saying "omg, lulz."

Yeah god forbid people who use the internet for human interaction are brain dead. Twitter updates are nothing more then quickly sent letters. Language, writing, reading, social interactions are quite useful offline maybe even practical if you ask me.

Just stating video games like that is quite a broad statement. There are a lot of different types of games out there.

Although I somewhat agree. There are mindless games and then there are games that unlock new interests, broaden creativity, improve leadership and group management, financial management, political viewpoints, expression of art, etc. I can show you an example of each if you'd like.

I was thinking more on the lines of multi-player shoot em ups.

Those are the ones that are more likely to freeze your brain out of the entire Internet apparatus.

However games where you are solving a puzzle or navigating yourself through a maze are OK.

In fact they are quite benign and keep in line with the creative and positive aspects of the Internet.

I don't need any examples because I'm certain there's more to it than those repetitive shoot em ups.

I know I came across wrong but not once did I ignore the overall importance of the Internet.

It means a lot of things to a lot of people and you can't call any of them brain-dead.

Btw you can also damage your wrists with the shoot em ups as well as your intelligence.

Hope that clears things up.

Edited by Medium Brown

I was thinking more on the lines of multi-player shoot em ups.

Those are the ones that are more likely to freeze your brain out of the entire Internet apparatus.

However games where you are solving a puzzle or navigating yourself through a maze are OK.

In fact they are quite benign and keep in line with the creative and positive aspects of the Internet.

I don't need any examples because I'm certain there's more to it than those repetitive shoot em ups.

I know I came across wrong but not once did I ignore the overall importance of the Internet.

It means a lot of things to a lot of people and you can't call any of them brain-dead.

Btw you can also damage your wrists with the shoot em ups as well as your intelligence.

Hope that clears things up.

I play an online shooter called team fortress 2. Just recently they had the Saxxy awards in which players can submit movies created with the game. You should take a look at the amount of creativity and originality used for some of them. They also allow players to submit item designs which may later be chosen to be included in the game.

In regards to playing it, there are 9 classes and an abundance of strategies playing each one in regards to the items you can use (customisable by finding/trading). On top of that, organising the team and achieving the objective using leadership, devising strategies on the spot and teamwork, as you can imagine, these skills would benefit you in the real world.

The game also has a trading system as mentioned before and actually has an in game economy in which certain items are worth even real world money. This system can have certain item prices fluctuate depending on the time (especially limited edition items or newly added). Implementation of such systems has be shown to improve investment decisions and the like, as you can imagine there are similar trends like in share trading, also real world.

One of the big things is reading how another player plays the game and working out ways to combat their playing style and outdo them.

On top of that you can add the pure fun aspect and enjoyment of playing with friends.

So they aren't all completely mindless. Also all these real world application of skills and abilities which can be gained through this game could even be argued, exercises your brain.

Edited by Orcseeker
  • Like 1

I play an online shooter called team fortress 2. Just recently they had the Saxxy awards in which players can submit movies created with the game. You should take a look at the amount of creativity and originality used for some of them. They also allow players to submit item designs which may later be chosen to be included in the game.

In regards to playing it, there are 9 classes and an abundance of strategies playing each one in regards to the items you can use (customisable by finding/trading). On top of that, organising the team and achieving the objective using leadership, devising strategies on the spot and teamwork, as you can imagine, these skills would benefit you in the real world.

The game also has a trading system as mentioned before and actually has an in game economy in which certain items are worth even real world money. This system can have certain item prices fluctuate depending on the time (especially limited edition items or newly added). Implementation of such systems has be shown to improve investment decisions and the like, as you can imagine there are similar trends like in share trading, also real world.

One of the big things is reading how another player plays the game and working out ways to combat their playing style and outdo them.

On top of that you can add the pure fun aspect and enjoyment of playing with friends.

So they aren't all completely mindless. Also all these real world application of skills and abilities which can be gained through this game could even be argued, exercises your brain.

I could mention Call Of Duty and Halo but I'm not going to labour the point...

I actually had an inkling you could perform other tasks as well as shooting.

You could say my bias against video games has blinded me to make such sweeping statements.

Tbh that game sounds okay because it dosn't sound one-dimensional and stimulates your brain.

You could say my interest in video games is casual at best but most of the time I'm indifferent.

It's just that I find other things more interesting and that's why I had no knowledge of your game.

I think if your going to criticise something you need to do some research to back you up.

After that all that I'm dying to play Sims and have dabbled in football management games.

Edited by Medium Brown

I could mention Call Of Duty and Halo but I'm not going to labour the point...

I actually had an inkling you could perform other tasks as well as shooting.

You could say my bias against video games has blinded me to make such sweeping statements.

Tbh that game sounds okay because it dosn't sound one-dimensional and stimulates your brain.

You could say my interest in video games is casual at best but most of the time I'm indifferent.

It's just that I find other things more interesting and that's why I had no knowledge of your game.

I think if your going to criticise something you need to do some research to back you up.

After that all that I'm dying to play Sims and have dabbled in football management games.

I agree with you on games like that. They are quite shallow in terms of what you can do in comparison with a game like team fortress 2. Although they may assist in accuracy, reaction time and such, it eventually becomes a repetitive action.

You can even just have the game to make movies from it using another program called Garry's Mod or the same one they developed the "Meet the..." series for the game, "Source Filmmaker". They made it free to play a while ago. They make a lot more money through the in-game store.

Those games though like Team Fortress and COD though can improve things like teamwork, communication, leadership skills and a whole slew of others things. Even more so when played in a league/ladders. Basically a sport if you think about it.