Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia Designs New Spaceship

Waspie_Dwarf

Russia Designs New Spaceship

MOSCOW, December 26 (RIA Novosti) - Russian space rocket corporation Energia has completed the technical design of a new manned spacecraft whose flight tests are due to begin in 2017, Energia President Vitaly Lopota said on Wednesday.

“We have completed the technical design project taking into account the fact that the new spaceship is to fly to the Moon, among other places,” he said.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

I hope that leads to another space race!

As the USA is already building a new spaceship with this sort of capability (the Orion) and the fact that the USA and Russia are now partners I think it is highly unlikely that this will lead to a new space race. Such a race is not needed now anyway. Apollo, great though it was, was about flag waving and one-upmanship first and foremost. Exploration and science were simply fortuitous side effects.

Future exploration is going to be expensive. It makes far more sense for future Lunar or Martian exploration to be carried out in the same way as the ISS, as a result of combining resources in a venture of international cooperation rather than wastefully duplicating efforts in an unnecessary race.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 1

If the US and Russia are cooperating, then we can only hope for a steady increase in technology.

Let's hope for similar results to the space race, but different circumstances.

As the USA is already building a new spaceship with this sort of capability (the Orion) and the fact that the USA and Russia are now partners I think it is highly unlikely that this will lead to a new space race. Such a race is not needed now anyway. Apollo, great though it was, was about flag waving and one-upmanship first and foremost. Exploration and science were simply fortuitous side effects.

Future exploration is going to be expensive. It makes far more sense for future Lunar or Martian exploration to be carried out in the same way as the ISS, as a result of combining resources in a venture of international cooperation rather than wastefully duplicating efforts in an unnecessary race.

Just a shame the world can't end these petty wars and pull all it's resources together for space exploration. The amount we all spend on military technology etc, imagine it all going into a united space program. I know war has helped push space programs and technology for it, but it would go much further if that was the main priority and not war.

• Like 2

I would hope the Russians are just not re-inventing a low space orbit manned craft like NASA's Orion. Wouldn't be much news if it was.

I would hope the Russians are just not re-inventing a low space orbit manned craft like NASA's Orion. Wouldn't be much news if it was.

I would hope the Russians would know the difference between a spacecraft designed for deep space and one designed for low Earth orbit, something you clearly don't.

If you had been keeping up with things (and this is not exactly new, it's been the policy for several years now and there are many topics on the subject on UM) you would know that the next US spacecraft designed for LEO will be those provided by private industry under the auspices of NASA's Commercial Crew Program. The three designs still be provided with funds for this are SpaceX's Dragon, Sierra Nevada Corporation's Dream Chaser and Boeing's CST-100.

Orion will not be used for missions to LEO or the ISS. In fact it's first manned mission will be to lunar orbit. It is planned that it will take astronauts on a mission to an asteroid and eventually take astronauts to Mars.

One or more of these spacecraft will provide the US with access to LEO and the International Space Station.

Too bad they didn't show an artists representation based on the technical drawings.

Too bad they didn't show an artists representation based on the technical drawings.

You can see what it looks like here: Anatoly Zak's Russian Space Web

• Like 1

thats wats up russia!:)that would be great if you guys could send it one year before the give date.anyway we need to start sending more people in outer save and on other planets.not just send robots and etc its not the same are they useful yes but its not like a human though its not alive it cant feel nothing its a machine nothing more.we need to forget about who gets there first and instead focus on whats important!its not a race.but i'm with you russia and europe the best of luck.