Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Englishman wakes up from stroke speaks Welsh

Still Waters

Alun Morgan, 81, was evacuated to Wales during the Second World War but left 70 years ago.

During his time there he was surrounded by Welsh speakers but never learned the language himself.

He left the country aged 10 and lived his life in England and recently suffered a severe stroke.

But when Mr Morgan regained consciousness three weeks later, doctors discovered he was speaking Welsh and could not remember any English.

http://www.telegraph...uent-Welsh.html

• Like 4

I love these stories, the brain is such a mystery.

• Like 3

The ultimate, organic hard drive?
  • Like 1

The ultimate, organic hard drive?

A hard drive will never be as good ;)

• Like 1

Bullshat man, he didn't "subconsciously" pick up the language, something else happened, like last past life remembrance or something we don't or can't quite comprehend yet with our tiny brains that only use about 15% of their power. That's a fact Jack! Think about it, don't be so quick to disbelieve the unbelievable.

lucky for him(also his wife), he didn't turn gay! There's been reports of people having a stroke only to wake up from it and realise that they are gay!

One of the greatest. I think that brain is silencer.

Edited by the L

Bullshat man, he didn't "subconsciously" pick up the language, something else happened, like last past life remembrance or something we don't or can't quite comprehend yet with our tiny brains that only use about 15% of their power. That's a fact Jack! Think about it, don't be so quick to disbelieve the unbelievable.

That's a myth, Smith.

• Like 7

Language acquisition is enigmatic and there are a number of theories surrounding the notion of how this comes about. Perhaps one of the most brilliant minds of the century, Noam Chomsky, argues that we have an innate or instinctive ability to acquire language, in effect, we come prewired to acquire language. Since a stroke is a major trauma to the brain, perhaps this event reset this individuals language acquisition clock enabling the previous exposure to Welsh to become dominant.

It is absolutely amazing how powerful our brains truly are and I wish we had the conscious ability to tap into all the knowledge that is actually captured during our lifetimes rather than just that which we can access.

How little we knew about the brain. By just hearing everyone around speaking a language, you can theoretically learn that language in days

I was born and brought up in Wales and I'm well used to hearing people speaking Welsh, although I never did pick it up properly myself while I was there.

Neither of my parents spoke the language either which would have made a big difference but I did have Welsh lessons in school. It's a very difficult language to learn which to me makes what happened to the man in the article all the more impressive and believable.

That is wild .

My Japanese is intermediate . I cannot read it fluently ,at all . I don't know enough kanji ,and my grammar needs work ,but I absolutely dream in fluent Japanese .

I know its all correct ,and I wake up remembering it all,and I look up words ,and they are words I don't consciously know ,and its correct.

My subconscious mind is infinitely more creative and has an exceptionally better memory than my conscious one. You can ask any of my dreams.

• Like 3

lucky for him(also his wife), he didn't turn gay! There's been reports of people having a stroke only to wake up from it and realise that they are gay!

Maybe it’s just the closeness of death that makes them don’t care about possible negative comments so they simply keep being as gay as they were before, just don’t hide it anymore.

Maybe it’s not like that, at least not for everyone.

But to wake up speaking new language, and Welsh, no less, that’s amazing.

I mean, Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda, if Google told me right, you can’t just pick that up on by-the-way basis.

• Like 1

At least he didn't come out of the coma speaking some crazy alien language like some others have. lol

At least he didn't come out of the coma speaking some crazy alien language like some others have. lol

Can you imagine if he was a "lapsed" abductee?

He will be speaking rapid-fire Zeta Recullian in front of his nearest and dearest.

Well there has to be a threshold as to when the Greys lose interest in their victim.

Maybe he has a knack for picking up language from hearing it, but has never had an occasion to use it.

Was the grammar and pronunciation checked by a Welsh speaker? I can't see any mention of it

You relive your past in comma. It's like life flashing before your eyes, nerves in the brain can do more when dormant than when awake, kinda like deja vous.... But ,then again I did do a ton of whip its as a kid

That's a myth, Smith.

And that's the truth, Ruth.

My post is largely inconsequential, Entelë.