Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Itch Cells Found

Hasina

Mysterious Itch Cells Found

A mysterious source of itchiness has been found. Certain nerve cells are specialized to detect itchy sensations, and those receptors don't detect painful sensations, according to a new study.

The finding, published Dec. 23 in the journal Nature Neuroscience, helps resolve a long-standing debate over whether itchiness is just a weird form of pain. Additionally, now that they have pinpointed the responsible nerve fibers, researchers could silence those nerves to develop better anti-itch treatments, said Ethan Lerner, a neuroscientist at Harvard University who was not involved in the study.

"This is a very convincing piece of work," Lerner told LiveScience. Scientists "can perhaps target this particular type of nerve as a means of treating itch, but still allow you to experience the protective aspect of pain."

Source: http://www.livescien...ells-found.html

Edited by Hasina

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• libstaK

• Ashotep

• Hasina

• pitchp

Popular Days

I thought this was going to be about the mysterious 7 year itch.

I really feel somewhat sorry for those lab mice. Can you imagine if that was you in the lab, being tested on. Yikes!~

• Like 1

I look forward to the breakthrough, I can throw away my back scratcher, finally.