Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Largest Viking ship ever found

Still Waters

The largest Viking ship ever found, a 118 foot troop carrier, is to go on display at the British museum 1,000 years after it helped King Canute control the seas of northern Europe.

The long boat, known as Roskilde 6 because it was part of a batch found in the Danish city, is slowly being dried out in giant steel tanks.

Once it is stabilised and fitted to a steel frame, it will travel to Britain to go on display at the British museum where it will be a star attraction at an exhibition.

http://www.telegraph...ish-Museum.html

• Like 1

I love reading about the Vikings! Of course being of Swedish and Danish ancestory probably influences that, lol

cool but i'll probley never see it

Apparently they would have made the ships bigger too, but the backbone-beam of the ship needed to be carved from a single oak and them oaks didnt get much bigger out there then that. :) Neat find!

Who knows they may of figured a way to build them bigger one must never say never.

They did build bigger ships later on. They just weren't the typical norse longships or knarrs. Those must be built from a single tree trunk (for their backbone, so to speak). Other types of ships they did build, later on, once the viking age had ended.

This is north America, we should be celebrating Viking Day not Columbus Day.

• Like 2

This is north America, we should be celebrating Viking Day not Columbus Day.

The Vikings didn't have the support of Queen Isabella. Monarchs have written our history for us. Skipping over everything he's well known for, Columbus was an obviously egotistical madman simply from the way he went about getting support for his voyages.

It would be interesting to see this ship in person some day.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

I like Vikings. They had pointy horn hats. :D

Nice article.

Every time I see a movie with warriors who have horns or other such nonsense on their helmets I just shake my head... No sensible fighter would ever do that for several reasons...

1. Too much weight on the head for no extra purpose...

2. A sword, spear or other weapon that strikes the 'horn' could very easily snap the neck of the fool who was wearing it - at the very least throwing them off balance...

Also after reading a lot of the comments on the original article, it seems many people don't realise that 'Viking' was not a person but was an activity...

There I got all my morning grumpiness out of the way... :clap:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also after reading a lot of the comments on the original article, it seems many people don't realise that 'Viking' was not a person but was an activity...

Old school pirates :-p

• Like 1

Old school pirates :-p

and a better name for pirating too :D

Maybe there was something to these saskatchewan river pirates (sarcasm - if you get the joke XD )