Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Music publishers caught faking billions of

ExpandMyMind

Music publishers are determined to stamp out piracy through lawsuits, pushing hard for new laws, and advertising campaigns to highlight how bad piracy is. But when it comes to bolstering revenue from YouTube videos, it seems they don’t mind breaking the rules and generating billions of fake views.

The problem is, Google has caught three music publishers doing just that, and deleted billions of video views in response.

RCA, Sony/BMG, and Universal, have all been found to be using online services in order to generate more views for specific videos. By doing this it creates more interest as the videos are seen as being popular and in turn get more exposure. But views also generate revenue for both Google and the music publishers from the adverts positioned next to them.

The extent of the artificial views is quite staggering. RCA had managed to add 39 million fake views to its videos, Sony/BMG added 847.7 million, but Universal is the worst offender and has had well over a billion fake views removed from videos. I can only imagine the impact those views had on the exposure and revenue-generating ability of each video.

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/music-publishers-caught-faking-billions-of-youtube-video-views-20121228/

• Like 1

I really don't like hypocrites, this is so typical. Reminds me of a case in Australia where some top knob that shall remain nameless wanted special taxes for purchases over the internet from overseas as the import market was killing local business. His particular business had been significant and known in its impact on local manufacturing by selling cheap imports that squeezed the local product and therefore all the local jobs out of the market.

Yep, I really, really hate this kind of hypocrasy :td: .

• Like 1

Don't expect anything less from those.

I don't listen to chart/pop music whatsoever because it's mostly rubbish and it's these greedy, selfish and nasty companies running the show.

I will give these people my money.

Sony are backing things like SOPA because they are scared that artists will start releasing their own stuff without labels. This is how greedy they are. :td:

• Like 1

I've assumed for a while now that a lot of youtube views were bolstered. Selling views is it's own business. So is buying followers for sites that have followers.