Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anybody Going Wassailing?

Ealdwita

Can't beat a bit of Wassail. Although it's a bit windy & wet for it currently. Anyway, always pleased to see the Old Ways perpetuated.

• Like 2

Are you going, ealdwita? We don't have that tradition in these parts(Cornwall).

Edited by ouija ouija

Are you going, ealdwita? We don't have that tradition in these parts(Cornwall).

Yes, me and my happy little mob of Anglo-Saxon hooligans will be out on the streets. We're a bit traditional, so we'll be wassailing on 'Old Twelvey Night' 17th.Jan (12th.night, pre-Gregorian calendar).

In the cider-producing counties, (closer to you) they have 'Orchard wassailing' on the same night.

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 1

Anyway, always pleased to see the Old Ways perpetuated.

Me too. A few years ago (when I was a bit fitter), I was Squire of a local Morris side. I just help out now and play squeezebox for them. I'm also very involved in local folk music.

[media=]

[/media]I luuurve Morris dancing ........ very manly :yes:
  • Like 1

Finally found one of ours .....I'm the one in the long grey wig (don't ask), playing the concertina......Why are we not in 'whites'?- this was filmed in February, Morris sides shouldn't wear white until after May Day......

[media=]

[/media]

It's all about fertility, you know. :unsure2:

It's all about fertility, you know. :unsure2:

After FIVE daughters- NOW he tells me!!!!!

I'm the one in the long grey wig (don't ask), playing the concertina......

It isn't really a wig, is it? you old hippy, you!

• Like 1

It isn't really a wig, is it? you old hippy, you!

I doubt I've got the energy to grow hair that length these days! Suffice it to say that it had something to do with a bet.

So, eald, do you ever dance or are you just a musician? And thank you for sharing this video!

• Like 1

So, eald, do you ever dance or are you just a musician? And thank you for sharing this video!

I used to dance, My Lady, but it's far too energetic a pastime for a man my age these days! I do my bit by helping the dancers out with the compulsory ale-quaffing though!

Oi! Wot's all this JUST a musician business???? s11827.gif

• Like 1

LOL I meant nothing by it, for if we didn't have musicians, where would dancers be? I simply wondered if you (or others) change up and those who were providing the music in the video occasionally dance while others play. :P And I seem to recall a few white haired gents hopping about on that video, so don't pull the age card on me, old man! :P :P

• Like 1