Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
Proclus

Aristotle against existence of Atlantis? No!

154 posts in this topic

While Herodotus is always to be taken with a pinch of salt, the evidence that Minoans with specific Thira traits have lived all over the East Mediterranean can be demonstrated by archeology. Even on the Island I live on there were settlements and burial grounds. So, Libya, which at the time was very fertile (in fact a grain producer well into Roman times) is not out of the realm of the possible, it is only 290 miles away (as a bird flies).

And that's my point: so any Therans or Minoans could have fled to Egypt as well, and tell their story.

And that's my point: so any Therans or Minoans could have fled to Egypt as well, and tell their story.

Yes I agree on that. The question is how many actually did because we have no records about them. In fact, Egypt is just as far away from Thira as Libya is.

Yes I agree on that. The question is how many actually did because we have no records about them. In fact, Egypt is just as far away from Thira as Libya is.

The Minoans traded throughout the Mediterranean. Evidence suggests they traded extensively with Syria, Asia Minor, and Egypt. The Minoans even traded at least as far west as the island of Sicily. So I don't find the idea so far fetched at all.

And in the end you don't need that many survivors to tell the story.

Edited by TheSearcher

The Minoans traded throughout the Mediterranean. Evidence suggests they traded extensively with Syria, Asia Minor, and Egypt. The Minoans even traded at least as far west as the island of Sicily. So I don't find the idea so far fetched at all.

And in the end you don't need that many survivors to tell the story.

If you are talking about Thira: Most survived as shown in the archeological digs,as the place was not abandoned during but before the eruption due to severe earthquakes preceding it. So the story about that must have gotten around. Still, I tend do doubt that Thira, important as it might have been at some point or another, is the big inspiration for Atlantis as it was, in reality,a minor Minoan outpost. The center of the culture evolved in Crete.