Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hundreds plunge for Polar Bear Dip

glorybebe

Hundreds of hardy Canadians welcomed the new year Tuesday with a splash into icy waters at Polar Bear Dip events across the country.

About 800 participants at this year's largest charity gathering, the Courage Polar Bear Dip, stripped down to their skivvies or donned outlandish costumes before jumping into Lake Ontario in Oakville, Ont.

According to organizers, the event, held just west of Toronto at Coronation Park, first began in 1995 and has since raised a total of $1,060,000 for the charity World Vision Canada.

http://www.ctvnews.c...vents-1.1097371

That is awesome! But, I am a wimp...no dipping for me today! 99646.png

• Like 1

Yeah, I despise just walking out of a warm shower into a cold bathroom!

We do Polar Bear swims in US too.

• Like 1

It makes me shiver just thinking about it but more power to them.

Whatever.

I seen one of these "Polar Bear" things on tv years and years ago and what really ground my beans was when they showed a mother dunking (not totally) a baby of eight months into the slushy waters. Poor baby was shrieking and everyone thought it was funny.

Hopefully there are age limits now. Anyway..if they think this sort of thing is healthy then go for it, hopefully someone on shore will be waiting to call 911 when someone has a heart attack.

Whatever.

I seen one of these "Polar Bear" things on tv years and years ago and what really ground my beans was when they showed a mother dunking (not totally) a baby of eight months into the slushy waters. Poor baby was shrieking and everyone thought it was funny.

Hopefully there are age limits now. Anyway..if they think this sort of thing is healthy then go for it, hopefully someone on shore will be waiting to call 911 when someone has a heart attack.

That is sick! Not surprising, but sick nonetheless. How do others just stand by and watch it happen? How do others let that mother then just go home with the baby?

A plunge into the icy depths! No thank-you.

It's one sure way to risk hypothermia regardless of swimming ability.

You could go in buck-naked but wearing more clothes isn't a failsafe either.

The more clothes you wear the more likely it is to impair your motion.

The only way you can safely take the plunge is more Equatorial waters.

However make sure you leave the ladder attached to your boat.

You don't want to end up like those cretins in Stranded.