Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA mulls plan to drag asteroid to moon

27vet

Rare "earth" metals may be more valuable to humanity than gold at the moment considering so much of modern technology relies on it. Having a massive source of some very hard to obtain rare metal may open up a whole new industry or make some energy producing idea viable.

I thought rare earth materials were created by a intense pressures and temps created by a asteroid impact, reason why most rare earth materials are mined near asteroid impact sights here on earth.

I thought rare earth materials were created by a intense pressures and temps created by a asteroid impact, reason why most rare earth materials are mined near asteroid impact sights here on earth.

I have no idea how they are created so you may be correct but I am sure there are a lot of exotic materials floating around the cosmos and I can fore see the day that mining the asteroid belt is big business. We may not see ot but I am pretty sure it will happen.

Asteroids still impact each other. Sure you may not get the same temperatures like when they hit the atmosphere, but they're still traveling at extraordinary speeds.