Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The 9 rules of being a wizard

Still Waters

This article is written by a real wizard with the intent of offering up a few insights into the mind of a ritual magician. In essence, these are the “9 Rules of Wizarding” for those aspiring to traverse in the arcane arts. Even if you’re not of the magical mind, have a differing set of beliefs, or are a raging skeptic, the following piece remains an interesting glimpse into an often misunderstood and oft unseen mindset.

http://whofortedblog...ritual-warfare/

• Like 2

I love the title....Now I got read the actual link lol

• Like 1

I expected the rules to be ridiculously funny, but I actually apply some these as little mantras to myself at times. Cool article, interesting in the least. :tu:

• Like 1

I've never heard anyone actually call themselves a wizard ...

The article sounds like it was written by a ritual practicing mason .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

I loved this part.

There is no purpose in debating the madding crowd.

May not be any purpose in it but its fun.

• Like 2

The sixth doctrine is that Good and Evil operate as inverse propositions. Therefore, if one proposes the elimination of an opponent or rival, the other proposes the transformation of the opponent or rival into a friend and ally. The opposite of kill is not, “not kill”. It is rather, “love”.

Hippie!

Seriously guys, respect the wizards, or they'll Gandalf you quicker than an troll.

"Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid." ...."People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. They will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Wizards First Rule, Terry Goodkind

Great book.

This article is written by a real wizard with the intent of offering up a few insights into the mind of a ritual magician. In essence, these are the “9 Rules of Wizarding” for those aspiring to traverse in the arcane arts. Even if you’re not of the magical mind, have a differing set of beliefs, or are a raging skeptic, the following piece remains an interesting glimpse into an often misunderstood and oft unseen mindset.

http://whofortedblog...ritual-warfare/

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

peace

Mark

• Like 1

I like #6, too. I also like #3 protect yourself. I never underestimate an idiot, L.

• Like 2

"The eighth doctrine is that the distance between wizard and philosopher is undetectable, save that the philosopher lacks the courage to identify herself or himself as an occult magic user." I guess that makes me a wizard?

• Like 1

Whole thing was quite good

"Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid." ...."People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. They will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Wizards First Rule, Terry Goodkind

Great book.

Should read all the books, some get a bit preachy but the rules in it are pretty spot on.

The eighth doctrine is that the distance between wizard and philosopher is undetectable, save that the philosopher lacks the courage to identify herself or himself as an occult magic user.

That one sort of hits close to the bone though. Sucks to admit but is true.

There are a few core truths expressed in the article but there are some things that go way out there as well.

My 9 rules to be a sorceror would be this:

1. Walk with nothing in your hands, if you must use a backpack use both straps, I even read about a study that showed walking with free hands allows both hemispheres of your mind to work in better sync.

2. Learn to breath, 6 seconds in, 6 seconds out. This reduces much stress and eliminates many toxins.

3. Learn mindfulness which includes learning how to find and anchor yourself back to reality, back to the present, back to what is before you and to what is you. Know yourself.

4. Go outside, often as possible. It doesn't matter if Downtown, the park, your porch, or nature. just go outside.

5. Dress as well as you can.

6. Exercise imagination and creativity.

7. Inform yourself with science including psychology.

8. Learn mindfulness which includes learning to let thoughts slide across your mind, you are just an observer, they don't define reality, thoughts can be changed.

9. Exercise.

For me being a sorceror is merging yourself back into reality. You don't need robes, you don't need to buy anything, you only need your mind and a willingness to improve yourself as if you were a machine, to become more efficient.

Edited by I believe you

• 2 weeks later...

5. Dress as well as you can.

I am somewhat surprised at this, given the inner focus that so many of the other guidelines seem to follow.

• Like 1

[/size]

I am somewhat surprised at this, given the inner focus that so many of the other guidelines seem to follow.

Outer appearance might have much to do with spirituality. Specialized priests in most traditions have their robes, church-goers have their own style of dress which I appreciate, and we rearrange ourselves for special ceremonies such as funerals.

I don't see why we can't treat everday as special.

As a sorcerer there are also concerns with the outer appearance considering the folklore regarding the use of glamour so others see you as you want them too. This can be achieved, not through spells of glamour, but our own discretion in what we choose to wear.

Also just changing clothes, even if alone, makes you feel different inside. Unsure if everyone has noticed this but pay attention to within when wearing something new or different than normal.

Then there is Matthew 23:26 which tells of cleaning the cup within for it to become clean outside but the chapter also warns of focusing only on the exterior. Still it is specific that if the inside is clean the outside wil be too.

I do not bring this up for what most would consider spiritual purity but instead a sense of clear reality. In either case what is within us will manifest itself in the greater world and become reality.

And if anyone has ever dressed different for an interview, a date, a court case, or just to pay fines you too recognize how clothes affects our own state, the state of those around us, and greater reality. Manipulating reality is sorcery but one must first recognize reality clearly and be in reality first before manipulating it.

Edited by I believe you