Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Show us your EGO!

Professor T

lol!

The highlighted portion is a perfect example of controlling that Ego of yours. lol.

Haha!

Maybe my ego wants me to talk about it, but in exchange for you listening to it i have to reciprocate?

As for an inevitable big reveal, I'm kind of hoping that it will happen spontaniously as a result of this thread being here..

If it doesn't happen spontaniously I'll try and force it.. Either way I hope it will be fun for us to have a crack at identifying the Ego in our fellow UMers.. There's all sorts of Ego's here in UM.. Most I find as genuine... Most are really nice people who are here to interact and have fun. Some are funny.. Some I find are very guarded... A few are--------

Edited to add: Why don't you have a go at reading Likely's Dominant Ego?

My EQ is low (i am guessing based on experiance, as i have never had an EQ test) but i'll give it a go.

Are we speaking so much about 'ego', or is it 'peer acceptance'? Or is it one in the same?

Edit: We have our online ego, as well as our own offline ego.

Likely guy, your ego hasn't ever been in the way of you being a nice, considerate person (as far as my dealings with your posts are concerned), but as the above post states maybe your ego is trying to fit in? Are you happier to be accepted than to be right? And you obviously have alot of intelligence, whether IQ, EQ or both. Thats as far as i can go. I'll leave Sherlock "T" Holmes to get the rest. All he needs is your Avatar, name and one look at your typing style and he can tell you what you ate for dinner last night.

• Like 3

Oh wow! To me, that shows that I'm probably spending way too much time on here and have no life. Damnit-damnit!

EDIT: Wait, wait! I just looked at Today's Top Posters. I'm nowhere on that list, so I feel better now. Phew! False alarm. Still no life, though.

I didnt know you could look at today's top posters... I know for sure I was on here too much today...

I also just learned the word necroposting.... and .... not trying to get any likes or anything (thanks for the sympathy on the previous page btw :D)

But, I became an Alien Pimppp this morning :D !

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 3

And before you post anything Arbenol68, (currently viewing own profile) lol..

Ego is soooo predictable!

Great of you to notice. Stoked my ego just little more. You're not my stalker are you?

Great of you to notice. Stoked my ego just little more. You're not my stalker are you?

Lol, funny.. :lol:

I saw a few names at the bottom of the thread & checked. You were Currently viewing your own Profile after I'd posted the most liked list.. lol, it made perfect sense that anyone reading past that post would check their profiles if their Ego's felt a little challenge was being presented..

Stalker?

Having a stalker must be ego smirking.. ^_^

P.S...

Now that you've posted I can tell you your actually third on the list of most liked..

Lol, funny.. :lol:

I saw a few names at the bottom of the thread & checked. You were Currently viewing your own Profile after I'd posted the most liked list.. lol, it made perfect sense that anyone reading past that post would check their profiles if their Ego's felt a little challenge was being presented..

Stalker?

Having a stalker must be ego smirking.. ^_^

P.S...

Now that you've posted I can tell you your actually third on the list of most liked..

Only third? I demand a recount.

• Like 2

As always, Professor T, an interesting thread (even if it is a shameless attempt to maintain your dominance in the all-important likes-per-post league table - which I am sure you realize, your ego just invented for you. Meh, we're all vounteer content providers, if you like collecting merit badges, then go for it :) ).

I am of the Jungian persuasion, and ego for Jung is pretty simple: the conscious part of the personality, in whatever shape it happens to be. But whenever somebody draws a diagram of the Jungian psyche, the ego always looks like a very small boat floating on a very big ocean (the unconsciousnesses, personal and collective, that loom so large in Jungian thinking).

So, sarah_444 called it well, by mentioning "strong ego," as opposed to an obnoxious "big ego." The little boat of consciousness, ego, needs to be strong, to avoid being overwhelmed by the immense forces of the unconscious, or swamped by the enormities of the reality we inhabit. And she is also right that reliable strength has a lot to do with balance.

But, the ideal cannot be the enemy of the necessary. I don't know if you've ever looked at real ego disintegration (sometimes called "psychotic break" or "acute schizophrenia"). It's not anywhere you'd want to go. So, yes, the ego will do what works - tricks, defenses, bristly displays... whatever works in the moment, until (if ever) more durable strategies occur.

There is a great acting gem in Star Trek: TNG. where the Captain has had some words with Dr Pulaski, and asks Troi to comment. There's an impossible situation: being asked by your boss to comment on your friend, on a matter where both boss and friend are being twits. Of course, Troi rises to the occasion, and observes that "You both have established personalities." By which she means strong egos, which just at the moment have lapsed into being big egos.

And she's more than diplomatic here, because whether the moment is awkward for her or not, she doesn't want her ship commanded, or her doctoring attended to, by anybody in the grip of psychotic break, or less dramatically, anybody whose ego defenses include running and hiding when reality bites. Better then, to weather the occasional twit storm.

Established personalities... obviously, the phrase has stayed with me all these years.

• Like 1

As always, Professor T, an interesting thread (even if it is a shameless attempt to maintain your dominance in the all-important likes-per-post league table - which I am sure you realize, your ego just invented for you. Meh, we're all vounteer content providers, if you like collecting merit badges, then go for it :) ).

I am of the Jungian persuasion, and ego for Jung is pretty simple: the conscious part of the personality, in whatever shape it happens to be. But whenever somebody draws a diagram of the Jungian psyche, the ego always looks like a very small boat floating on a very big ocean (the unconsciousnesses, personal and collective, that loom so large in Jungian thinking).

So, sarah_444 called it well, by mentioning "strong ego," as opposed to an obnoxious "big ego." The little boat of consciousness, ego, needs to be strong, to avoid being overwhelmed by the immense forces of the unconscious, or swamped by the enormities of the reality we inhabit. And she is also right that reliable strength has a lot to do with balance.

I'm not sure if I'm of the Freud or Jungian school as far as Ego goes.. I kind of see Ego as being very closely related to personality traites or Energy projection.. Ego throws up barriers, it Projects it's self out, it masks or hides the True self.. It's shifty, shady, it doesn't want the true self to know it exists and as such it will repress the true self.. I think.... But once one get's to know and understand Ego one starts to learn how to read it.

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what Sarah posts tomorrow.. Stong Ego v's Big Ego seems rather apt in many cases, there's so many types, so many variants of Ego.. Will be great to get some examples of ones I've not encountered yet..

But, the ideal cannot be the enemy of the necessary. I don't know if you've ever looked at real ego disintegration (sometimes called "psychotic break" or "acute schizophrenia"). It's not anywhere you'd want to go. So, yes, the ego will do what works - tricks, defenses, bristly displays... whatever works in the moment, until (if ever) more durable strategies occur.

Intreeging!

Much of our Ego's imo are on Autopilot.. We have automatic responses to events.. This I think comes down to programming, or the more durable strategies you have alluded to. Ego think's it knows everything and because of that it is in control. When It looses control our perception of reality is destroyed.. I think I've been close to this before.. It's deffinately not a nice thing.

Show us your Ego? oh dear no clue.

For the likes though, I did notice that more people have a tendency to like short, snarky, cute posts more then anything else.

Avatar and name both have to do with insanity of the exception, contradiction, enigmas and paradoxes.

Basically my whole ego comes down to one statement. I like shiny things. If you can understand that one thing, then you can understand me.

• Like 2

For the likes though, I did notice that more people have a tendency to like short, snarky, cute posts more then anything else.

Avatar and name both have to do with insanity of the exception, contradiction, enigmas and paradoxes.

Basically my whole ego comes down to one statement. I like shiny things. If you can understand that one thing, then you can understand me.

Tricky....

Very tricky....

You are very aloof and hard to pin down..

Oh yes, and 7th out of 17 on the most liked scale of posters in this Thread too..

Your Ego is not very dominant, which makes you very easily lead by others.. You can hold and one on one conversation or argument very well, but when it is you v's 2 or more others you crumble.. The crumbling is due to a need to feel backed up by other like minded people..

Am I right?

(think I've missed something..)

Edited by Professor T

People who predominantly post short, snarky or cute posts usually fall into the same catagory of people that are more interested in provoking responses from the Like Button or promoting false pretenses imo..

Some of these types of response are designed by their Ego to promote the Idea that their responses are autoritive when in reality they are not.. Their inventment in responding to other posts are self serving... Am wondering if many have encountered this kind of response much? And whether ya'll have come to the conclusion that these short self serving posts is BS from BS artists?

• Like 2

I like conflict and hate seeing people fight. What better way to get both of what I want by making myself like a more attractive target?

If I can get people to agree awesome, if I can't and everybody is p***ed off at me and not at each other I can laugh at that and go on my merry way.

Short and sweet is usually the best way to get a point across. Snarky is the best way to get a message across on the internet. Put them together and you get something that works.

• Like 1

Do you think my ego shows through my posting?

There's no indication whatsoever through my bland,neutral username.

My posts do have an uniform quality about them which indicates I'm a neat freak.

They are all about perfection and attention to detail.

Which indicates some kind of ego but it's not rampant.

The only time my ego comes through in the truest sense of the word is when I rave about Swindon Town.

I'm in a different parish then compared to my other posts.

That could be more about pride than anything.

In reality though my real-life ego can be boosted by copious amounts of alcohol.

Tbh as far as the ego factor is concerned I'm amongst the lowest on the board.

Edited by Medium Brown

One thing I've noticed is that it's difficult for me to personally try and describe my ego. I am usually aware of it, and can think to past examples when it's showed itself, but describing it is tricky for some reason. Maybe that's because the ego doesn't like being identified and targeted?

In saying that, it's important to recognize when it is showing itself. When you can recognize the ego acting up in yourself or in other people's words or behaviours, it's much easier to not react to it, or take things personally.

• Like 1

Ok, I'm being deliberately vague with this.

I'm sure most of us have one or to nemesis in the Community who clash because there's just something about their posts/attitute/style that doesn't sit well with our own EGO's..

So, show us your Egos.

And let's discuss & define what Ego actually is.

And pick apart each other's Ego.

One day I will have myself crowned God and make all the people worship me.

I will take the unemployed and have them construct a 2 mile high statue in my likeness and I will have anybody who is someone erased from the history books so I am left the greatest.

Me, me, me!

• Like 1

Is size of online ego in inverse proportion to real life personality? I often thought that those who shout loudly and in your face online, do so because their real lives are so small and meaningless. I saw in various news outlets where trolls that have caused real harm, have been unmasked. They are sourfaced rat like people, and I guess this is the picture of them we all form in our minds.

For myself, well, I am dead and I am a god (apparently) And as my brain is gone long long ago, there is no ego, no nothing, I do not exist, an anti-ego. Well, I do not take kindly to some of the charlatans and bullies and let them know this directly. That is my only claim to any ego, all else is a dream of a lost universe.

and this 99f91266f996.gif

and all to often this 789e4749449d.gif

• Like 1

I will take the unemployed and have them construct a 2 mile high statue in my likeness and I will have anybody who is someone erased from the history books so I am left the greatest.

Me, me, me!

I'm not going to sugarcoat this or accept it.

How can you honestly justify this hatred of unemployed people?

Didn't you realise this wouldn't go un-noticed when me and the OP are jobless.

I can't honestly speak for him but I'm letting you know clearly what my feelings are.

You are an idiot of the highest order and here's me picking apart your ego.

I've heard of god complexes but you take the biscuit.

Congratulations for being the second person to anger me on this forum.

• Like 2

I found the article I was reminded of before in regards to having a healthy ego, and the differences between "Strong" and "Big" egos.

Our Egos: Do They Need Strengthening--or Shrinking?

...people with strong egos can be viewed generally as self-confident; secure and emotionally stable; flexible, adaptive, and able to cope well with everyday stresses and frustrations; mature, independent, and resourceful; and authentic. On the contrary, those with big egos lack inner stability and are more easily upset; tend to be rigid, reactive, dogmatic, and egocentric; simulate self-confidence (rather than truly possess it); display arrogance and a narcissistic sense of entitlement; show deficits in personal integrity; and, perhaps more telling than anything else, demonstrate--when feeling threatened--a surprising weakness, even fragility. Although such egos may, indeed, be "oversized," their actual bigness or stature has largely to do with ego-inflation, vs. any real ego strength.

In short, what I got from most of this is that having a strong (or healthy) ego has to do with having a genuine strong sense of self, or self worth/esteem. One that can be aware and accepting of personal insecurities without masking them, among other things.

Edited by sarah_444
  • Like 1

I would like to like your post here sarah 444 but as I have used up my quoter today...... I had to type this instead.

It's a really good exercise to look into and study the theories about the id, ego, big I, little i...... And all the other variations upon the same theme. It has been philosophised over since philosophy began and so phycology.

Once passed the self-a-facing stuff which will ruffle anyones feathers. It can be quite amusing to watch the out play in oneself and others.

Only when it has been addressed, can it be de-contaminated as it were.

It is interesting how the Ego with the big E or big I will use every underhanded trick to subjugate, ostracise, manipulate, pull down..... All about it which it is threatened by..... Such as the statistics Prof T demonstrated so well earlier. All these tricks are in a vain attempt to get/stay on top of what in truth is a fictitious pyre. The fat Ego is a false friend who pretends to protect you from harm..... When it truth there is nothing to fear.

• Like 2

I would like to like your post here sarah 444 but as I have used up my quoter today...... I had to type this instead.

It's a really good exercise to look into and study the theories about the id, ego, big I, little i...... And all the other variations upon the same theme. It has been philosophised over since philosophy began and so phycology.

Once passed the self-a-facing stuff which will ruffle anyones feathers. It can be quite amusing to watch the out play in oneself and others.

Only when it has been addressed, can it be de-contaminated as it were.

It is interesting how the Ego with the big E or big I will use every underhanded trick to subjugate, ostracise, manipulate, pull down..... All about it which it is threatened by..... Such as the statistics Prof T demonstrated so well earlier. All these tricks are in a vain attempt to get/stay on top of what in truth is a fictitious pyre. The fat Ego is a false friend who pretends to protect you from harm..... When it truth there is nothing to fear.

The ego is an optical illusion of conciousness, right? Someone said that once...just don't remember who. lol

• Like 1

Darn, I wish that there wasn't a cap on my likes :tu:

When a false need....... for, it is really a false need/ want...... to be on top. Is induced, for it is induced..... it is not a natural state of being, at all. it come from a deep insecurity and co-dependance. Into the psyche, it will rule havoc upon all to the extremes of war, violence and murder it is the place of walls and barricades.....Into insanity it runs. For it divides things that need never be divided. It finds fault with things that are as they are....Oh, I could go on but where's the fun in that, ah?......As this is a personal journey for us all to realise in self when ready to see.

Edited by Blue Star
  • Like 1

Much of our Ego's imo are on Autopilot.. We have automatic responses to events.. This I think comes down to programming, or the more durable strategies you have alluded to. Ego think's it knows everything and because of that it is in control. When It looses control our perception of reality is destroyed.. I think I've been close to this before.. It's deffinately not a nice thing.

Speaking personally, I feel this to be true. Particulary: 'durable strategies' ...... my ego has learned ways to make me appear equal with the other 'herd members'(occasionally it even succeeds in making me imagine I am superior to some of them .... then I come down to earth with a bump!).

I think Jinxdom is exactly as his avatar suggests :lol:

People who predominantly post short, snarky or cute posts usually fall into the same catagory of people that are more interested in provoking responses from the Like Button or promoting false pretenses imo..

Some of these types of response are designed by their Ego to promote the Idea that their responses are autoritive when in reality they are not.. Their inventment in responding to other posts are self serving... Am wondering if many have encountered this kind of response much? And whether ya'll have come to the conclusion that these short self serving posts is BS from BS artists?

By Jove, Prof.T., you hit several nails squarely on the head in this post :D

Do you think my ego shows through my posting?

There's no indication whatsoever through my bland,neutral username.

My posts do have an uniform quality about them which indicates I'm a neat freak.

They are all about perfection and attention to detail.

Which indicates some kind of ego but it's not rampant.

The only time my ego comes through in the truest sense of the word is when I rave about Swindon Town.

I'm in a different parish then compared to my other posts.

That could be more about pride than anything.

In reality though my real-life ego can be boosted by copious amounts of alcohol.

Tbh as far as the ego factor is concerned I'm amongst the lowest on the board.

'Methinks you protesteth too much'! I think we're looking at one mighty big ego here ...... one day it will break out here big style! ;)

One thing I've noticed is that it's difficult for me to personally try and describe my ego. I am usually aware of it, and can think to past examples when it's showed itself, but describing it is tricky for some reason. Maybe that's because the ego doesn't like being identified and targeted?

In saying that, it's important to recognize when it is showing itself. When you can recognize the ego acting up in yourself or in other people's words or behaviours, it's much easier to not react to it, or take things personally.

This is what I experience too. It's important to the ego not to be 'identified and targeted' ...... this surely would lead to some sort of breakdown?

• Like 2

Me, me, me!

Hmm, you're a funny one ...... sometimes I read your posts and I hate you, other posts of yours have me nodding vigorously in agreement.

• Like 1

Me, me, me!

Lol.. Great display of Ego Mr Right Wing!

I'm not going to sugarcoat this or accept it.

How can you honestly justify this hatred of unemployed people?

Didn't you realise this wouldn't go un-noticed when me and the OP are jobless.

I can't honestly speak for him but I'm letting you know clearly what my feelings are.

You are an idiot of the highest order and here's me picking apart your ego.

I've heard of god complexes but you take the biscuit.

Congratulations for being the second person to anger me on this forum.

Lol.. Awesome!!!!!

You picked up on his baiting on the Unemployed as well..

Am wondering though, do you think that Mr's Right wing wrote that remark about the unemployed intentionally?

Tricky....

Very tricky....

You are very aloof and hard to pin down..

Oh yes, and 7th out of 17 on the most liked scale of posters in this Thread too..

Your Ego is not very dominant, which makes you very easily lead by others.. You can hold and one on one conversation or argument very well, but when it is you v's 2 or more others you crumble.. The crumbling is due to a need to feel backed up by other like minded people..

Am I right?

(think I've missed something..)

I like conflict and hate seeing people fight. What better way to get both of what I want by making myself like a more attractive target?

If I can get people to agree awesome, if I can't and everybody is p***ed off at me and not at each other I can laugh at that and go on my merry way.

Short and sweet is usually the best way to get a point across. Snarky is the best way to get a message across on the internet. Put them together and you get something that works.

Well I missed something here..

Is anyone else willing to have a go at picking Jinxdom's Ego apart?

• Like 1

I found the article I was reminded of before in regards to having a healthy ego, and the differences between "Strong" and "Big" egos.

Our Egos: Do They Need Strengthening--or Shrinking?

In short, what I got from most of this is that having a strong (or healthy) ego has to do with having a genuine strong sense of self, or self worth/esteem. One that can be aware and accepting of personal insecurities without masking them, among other things.

Awesome!! Thanks..

Am going to have a good read of this.. It looks like it makes a lot of sense, especially around emotional instability..