Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Show us your EGO!

Professor T

That's what I read from your post & as a result was the impression I got about you.

The intention or feel behind the post you made was Cynical and Skeptical in nature.

Was I right?

Want to see if you can pick apart Timonthy's on-like alter-Ego?

You were right indeed...about it all actually, I've been described as a cynic before...cool.

As for Timothy, I could try:

From his witty post and endorsement of being happy with himself and having an ego, I'd say he's a pretty confident guy in what he does.

Part of my guess stems from his profile photo, Looks like he's having a good time; he's neat and suave and I'm pretty sure he gets attention from the girls which can only boost his ego and confidence and thus, making such happiness a natural part of his life, building his opinion of being egotistical = good. Something tells me he's quite popular which again, could lead to his happiness and confidence...or maybe I'm just being an idiot and letting my mind run riot about a stranger!

• Like 1

Ego is good (not referring to penis there). It's healthy to think highly of yourself. Also important to be happy with yourself.

Ego is the product of society, and as such it can be either good or Bad..

But I think the worse thing about Ego, which makes me personally believe that it's a very bad thing is the fact that Ego's are very easily manipulated, whereas the true self cannot be manipulated.. Having a healthy balance is key to stopping other people manipulating you though ticking or threatening your ego.. Healthy Ego's are under their individuals control. Unhealthy Ego's are hard to control and to damn loud.. You should have enough ego to have self confidence and to get noticed or get your points across.. But not so much Ego that people roll their eyes when you enter a room singing "oh lord it's hard to be humble, when your perfect in every way!"

P.S..

Sean93 had a go at figuring out you Ego.. Was he on the money? I think he nailed your ego..

Edited by Professor T

It also helps where you're posting.

The writer's thread doles out 'likes', like candy.

The conspiracy thread, on the other hand... They are meted out begrudgingly like ill-begotten razor blades imbedded in a caramel apple.

Edited: Because my offline ego can't abide by my online ego's spelling. :)

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

Everyone. Do you remember when you were young and you were literally and figuratively 'the center of the world'? Hasina, you're closer to that than almost everyone else here is.

yes..

The world was mine! It was big and beautifull and everything in it existed because of me.. It was truely Magic..

Then things went wrong.. Things happened in my world I didn't like, the beauty started to belong to other people, the Magic died..

Okay, let's stick Mr. Likely Bug under the microscope.

I came from a small loving family with lots of support. Not rich, not poor. In my teens I found out that family wasn't normal. Not even my extended family. On my Mom's side my grandparents physically hugged all their visitors, family as well as strangers. The hugs extended from there to my Dad's family, which were Mennonite's (true story) and it grew from there.

I have a very strong ego.

When it comes to this forum, I'll give anyone's thought the benefit of the doubt. If I'm in a discussion with someone, after I expressed my thoughts, I don't care to carry it on much further than that, because that's what becomes a 'debate', then an 'argument'. I hold no beliefs strongly enough to get into an argument.

Except when it becomes a case of sexism, racism, homophobia or the like. I can't stand that. Why do I care? I don't know. I'm not a female, a visible minority or homo/bi/trans sexual. But someone criticising what another does legally in those regards, makes my blood boil. (Why not same sex marriage? ...and don't give me 'the Bible says', that's a 2,000 year old, out dated argument... I'm sorry, I digress. :)

I am quietly critical. Introspective. More willing to bend, than break. More than willing to help those that try, than those that don't. Until, someone hit's bottom, then I feel obligated to help.

Did I mention that I get an inordinate number of visitors? 2-3 in the winter time each day, 5 to 6 in the summer?

I'm going to go out on a limb and add something that I think your Ego didn't want you to expose, and doesn't want to admit too..

You are easily lead a-stray...

Am I right?

It also helps where you're posting.

The writer's thread doles out 'likes', like candy.

The conspiracy thread, on the other hand... They are meted out begrudgingly like ill-begotten razor blades imbedded in a caramel apple.

Edited: Because my offline ego can't abide by my online ego's spelling. :)

Ooooooo, I'm so glad you've noticed this too..

Folks,

Writers & Artist have Super Egos that are incredibly easy to bruise..

If you want proof, wander off to the Writers and Artists Hangout Thread, pick a random poem or work of art and post "This is awefull I hate it!" & see what happens.. :lol:

But don't do it to any of my art or poems.. :angry:

I'm going to go out on a limb and add something that I think your Ego didn't want you to expose, and doesn't want to admit too..

You are easily lead a-stray...

Am I right?

Not so much. The one's that want to lead me astray, I give them a very short leash.

I'll see you again in the poet's thread, when I feel so compelled! :)

• Like 1

:D

Some people seem to enjoy recieving flak in regards to their opinions.. I think this is an Ego aspect of attention seeking and using their energy to manipulate others into reactions..

Does an Angry person indicate a strong or Big Ego?.... I don't think so.. I tend to think (without having read Sarahs link yet) that anger indicates a threatened Ego more than anything else, which may indicate weakness as opposed to strength..

He's doing a very fine job on that score but I'm going to turn the tables on him.

He will be pleasantly surprised by the kind of reactions I'm going to enforce.

If I've got a threatened ego it's very low on the "ego" Richter scale.

But it's not a very reassuring statistic for anybody that flys off the handle.

Getting the unemployed to build a 2 mile high statue of me is not a punishment. Its an honour for you and in return you're rewarded with a full-time job until you find something. As you're so ungreatful you're going on my 'throw to the lions' list.

I would be a mean God and I'd be mean just because I can (insert evil manical laughing here)

I wish I could take you up on your less than generous order.

But I've got a job in the pipeline and I'm pumped up.

And besides who's to say I won't be like Daniel and retrieve a thorn from said lions paw.

That would throw your evil masterplan into disarray.

Edited by Medium Brown

He's doing a very fine job on that score but I'm going to turn the tables on him.

He will be pleasantly surprised by the kind of reactions I'm going to enforce.

If I've got a threatened ego it's very low on the "ego" Richter scale.

But it's not a very reassuring statistic for anybody that flys off the handle.

I wish I could take you up on your less than generous order.

But I've got a job in the pipeline and I'm pumped up.

And besides who's to say I won't be like Daniel and retrieve a thorn from said lions paw.

That would throw your evil masterplan into disarray.

Well done on the job. Time to do me properly.

So my great grandad was a very wealthy man and when he died in the 80s his land was worth about £16 million. The generations that followed him got a decent education, property and the funds to set themselves up in business if they wished. Being brought up in a family like that does wonders for your confidence and self-belief. When growing up you cant help but think to yourself you're above regular people and you have problems stopping your ego going into orbit.

I'm also an attractive guy and get a lot of attention of the ladies which makes my ego even worse. Strangely it gets them no where because I always go after the ones that dont seem interested in me. Its like I cant get my head around how a woman could not fancy me which is kind of a scary insight to how my mind works.

So I have an over inflated ego. I'm used to being the best at everything and because of this I did at one stage actually believe I was God. That kept me amused for years living in my Walter Mitty fantasy and it really didnt help me any playing Lemmings, Black and White 2, Sim City, etc. The result is a very strange sense of humour but at least it keeps me entertained. I shouldnt really be saying this but I even wrote my God speeches out at one stage and have delivered them infront of the mirror. At least I found it ridiculously funny lol.

My friends are all like me (men and women) and the usual banter in the pub is over who is the best lol.

Edited by Mr Right Wing
  • Like 1

What's scary is knowing that one large event can do something to your ego to cause a dramatic change. I got burnt by breaking the rules as a kid, I grew up and played by the rules, and I got burnt. Now I don't care about either, Do what I want, do what I need to, making sure I bend, instead of a breaking(or even better like pong). That requires a constant contradiction of one's self. I do it only on superficial level almost like costume.

Shiny things is nothing more then looking at and for the positive . I just don't forget the other side because it is there and it can come back to kick you in the teeth. (Who knows maybe even literally)

I'm very quite glad to be insane(although not insane enough for a padded room). Oh and have impulse issues. I do care and don't care. I don't care what you are going to say about me but I do care that you are going to say something.

Insane or not insane, broken or not broken, doesn't really matter all that much, Life and the things that make it better matter(mostly people, but I won't look down on material possessions but having nothing is quite boring)

Maybe some people aren't in it for the attention but in it solely for the sake of conversation on a wonderfully asked question? ( I have a feeling most people fall in the latter rather then the former but that's just thinking on the positive :P )

I found the article I was reminded of before in regards to having a healthy ego, and the differences between "Strong" and "Big" egos.

Our Egos: Do They Need Strengthening--or Shrinking?

In short, what I got from most of this is that having a strong (or healthy) ego has to do with having a genuine strong sense of self, or self worth/esteem. One that can be aware and accepting of personal insecurities without masking them, among other things.

That's a brilliant artical.

I've read it twice now, lol.. Thanks..

I guess I've taken a different point of view of the Big v's Strong Ego comparison.. I've always seen this type of Comparison as "Real" (Stong or well grounded Ego) versus "Plastic" (Big or ungenuine world of ones own Ego)..

• Like 1

So my great grandad was a very wealthy man and when he died in the 80s his land was worth about £16 million. The generations that followed him got a decent education, property and the funds to set themselves up in business if they wished. Being brought up in a family like that does wonders for your confidence and self-belief. When growing up you cant help but think to yourself you're above regular people and you have problems stopping your ego going into orbit.

I'm also an attractive guy and get a lot of attention of the ladies which makes my ego even worse. Strangely it gets them no where because I always go after the ones that dont seem interested in me. Its like I cant get my head around how a woman could not fancy me which is kind of a scary insight to how my mind works.

So I have an over inflated ego. I'm used to being the best at everything and because of this I did at one stage actually believe I was God. That kept me amused for years living in my Walter Mitty fantasy and it really didnt help me any playing Lemmings, Black and White 2, Sim City, etc. The result is a very strange sense of humour but at least it keeps me entertained. I shouldnt really be saying this but I even wrote my God speeches out at one stage and have delivered them infront of the mirror. At least I found it ridiculously funny lol.

My friends are all like me (men and women) and the usual banter in the pub is over who is the best lol.

Very interesting.. Thanks for showing!

Have a few questions though because this seems quite unique imo..

Would you describe your Ego as stable or well rounded or somehow shallow and empty?

(What I mean by this question is whether you are in control of your own emotions, or do they control you.)

Can you relate to and get along with other people outside of your normal circle of friends?

(The God complex, coupled with you privilaged upbringing suggests that your social needs doesn't or wouldn't fit with mainstream society.. This suggests that outside of your usual circle of friends you would be completely lost and perhaps even treated like a social lepper by others)

With posting in the forums here, do you accept that other peoples opinions by the right and yours could be wrong?

(Wondering if you have any hangups from the God Complex)

1. Would you describe your Ego as stable or well rounded or somehow shallow and empty?

(What I mean by this question is whether you are in control of your own emotions, or do they control you.)

2. Can you relate to and get along with other people outside of your normal circle of friends?

(The God complex, coupled with you privilaged upbringing suggests that your social needs doesn't or wouldn't fit with mainstream society.. This suggests that outside of your usual circle of friends you would be completely lost and perhaps even treated like a social lepper by others)

3. With posting in the forums here, do you accept that other peoples opinions might be right and yours could be wrong?

(Wondering if you have any hangups from the God Complex)

1. I'm in control of my ego its just that I often choose to let it run off the leash.

2. I can actually get along with anybody when I want too.

3. With a lot of debating people are below my education or knowledge level (not meant to sound arrogant). If I come across someone who posts something against my opinion and its right I have no problem admitting that. Doing so isnt a threat to my ego.

My 'ego' is not a defence mechanism. If I'm not the best at something it doesnt bother me in the slightest. My ego is about entertaining myself and I get a wierd kick out of it lol.

Edited by Mr Right Wing
  • Like 2

Is size of online ego in inverse proportion to real life personality? I often thought that those who shout loudly and in your face online, do so because their real lives are so small and meaningless. I saw in various news outlets where trolls that have caused real harm, have been unmasked. They are sourfaced rat like people, and I guess this is the picture of them we all form in our minds.

For myself, well, I am dead and I am a god (apparently) And as my brain is gone long long ago, there is no ego, no nothing, I do not exist, an anti-ego. Well, I do not take kindly to some of the charlatans and bullies and let them know this directly. That is my only claim to any ego, all else is a dream of a lost universe.

and this 99f91266f996.gif

and all to often this 789e4749449d.gif

Ha! finally got back to this comment..

Is size of online ego in inverse proportion to real life personality? That's a really good question.. and I would say nope, but that's just my opinion.. Here in the forums we hide behind an Avatar and a fake name, in most cases we have complete anonymity.. And yet, when some on-line persona attacks what our online persona says we feel hurt? This imo is because our on-line persona has become an alter-ego or a projection of ourselves into this virtual world in UM..

Remember this??

http://www.unexplain...showentry=26672

On the day you posted that Blog I had been watching several on-line persona's have a very public spat that crossed over several threads and forums. It was very revealing because imo it because it showed off one persona here in the UM community that is a fake.. and by fake I mean someone who's claims things in posts about the forums but embelishes half truthes, tells outright lies, and has fooled or conned a lot of people here..

But I might be wrong about this person, as I was wrong about Jinxdom's ego or Likey Guy's ego.. Some people are hard to read because their Ego's are well blanced and controlled..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

i have found the most prevalent times of the ego engaged, is when i am lulled into a sense of being in control of it and when i fall into its trap of thinking it is not a defence mechanism.

Do you see?

If i have nothing to lose, i have nothing to fear, if i have nothing to fear..... Then there is no need for the big I /Ego to step in.

The ego acts as a defence mechanism.....it is a false shield.

A tool given to ill-equipped minds/ children, if you will..... With little experience of better ways of thinking.

Problem is that we can tend not to grow out of it. we seem to hold onto it, into our adult life because it goes unquestioned. unquestioned as to whether it is true or validity. It hides behind all kinds of masks and titles.

Edited by Blue Star
  • Like 1

Ha! finally got back to this comment..

Is size of online ego in inverse proportion to real life personality? That's a really good question.. and I would say nope, but that's just my opinion.. Here in the forums we hide behind an Avatar and a fake name, in most cases we have complete anonymity.. And yet, when some on-line persona attacks what our online persona says we feel hurt? This imo is because our on-line persona has become an alter-ego or a projection of ourselves into this virtual world in UM..

Remember this??

http://www.unexplain...showentry=26672

On the day you posted that Blog I had been watching several on-line persona's have a very public spat that crossed over several threads and forums. It was very revealing because imo it because it showed off one persona here in the UM community that is a fake.. and by fake I mean someone who's claims things in posts about the forums but embelishes half truthes, tells outright lies, and has fooled or conned a lot of people here..

But I might be wrong about this person, as I was wrong about Jinxdom's ego or Likey Guy's ego.. Some people are hard to read because their Ego's are well blanced and controlled..

Certainly remember. In fact it got worse and I was in trouble for speaking my mind, or something.....

I think we do identify with our online persona, even if dead :) Though I am real in that what I write is what I think and believe. My weird blog is my universe, it says much, it is my real avatar and signature. If that makes any sense....

I found that those who like to play games have taught themselves to be cold and disspassionate online. They have no empathy with other users except when it is fake and to suit their purpose. yet their purpose is nothing of substance, it is simply a game to them. They like to see people get irritated. I think the word troll should be used for them, even if they do not outwardly act like a troll. It is their purpose of disruption and argument for sake of argument that makes them troll. Some of course would not see themselves as a troll, and I think because they are simply an unpleasant person in real life and what they do is normal for them.

• Like 2

i have found the most prevalent times of the ego engaged, is when i am lulled into a sense of being in control of it and when i fall into its trap of thinking it is not a defence mechanism.

Do you see?

I totally understand the rest of what you said, and agree with the masks & titles theme.. imo, Ego is the shield of masks and titles we wear..

I'm not sure I follow this first bit though, probably because your Ego is smaller and more subtle..

I tend to find that my Ego is more prevalent when it's being tickled or feels threatened..

I believe the right-winged one has set the bar...

He's done both his commonplace and online ego's.

What about the rest of the happy campers here?

Well I believe the really hardcore posters have a massive ego.

Because how else could you explain their presence and that includes me.

Btw I prefer constructing windows to statues.

I've not really took a shine to any type of hard labour.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 2

I totally understand the rest of what you said, and agree with the masks & titles theme.. imo, Ego is the shield of masks and titles we wear..

I'm not sure I follow this first bit though, probably because your Ego is smaller and more subtle..

I tend to find that my Ego is more prevalent when it's being tickled or feels threatened..

May I try to explain a little better?

Maybe because I am aware of the Ego at play at all times..... It doesn't need to be tickled/ threatened to draw my attention to it. i have been studying this for some time ....oh, only about 30 odd years or more. Anyways, my point is...... i know enough now to know, it is always there...Present, waiting, like a nagging bore waiting to elbow in.

Have you ever seen an ill-treated dog that is so up the wall wanting to be alpha that it is on guard constantly..... This is the ego..... Your's/ mine...It's the ego. It is not subdued because the risk it holds onto so tightly is flawed...It sees loss where there is none. It sees losing, when there is nothing to lose. It sees only want. Holding tight to an imagined situation or circumstance.

No amount of molly-codling, stroking, recognition, accolades, accreditation's, scores, wins, numbers nor awards will every abate its greed for supremacy. By it's nature you can never appease the Ego....It's nuts.

• Like 2

Currently in News, Politics and Current Affairs: 'A Generation of Deluded Narcissists' makes very interesting reading IMO.

• Like 2

Kanye West refers to his penis as his ego. Relevant? If he means he's a d!*k/pr!*k, then yes that is relevant .... to him!

Ego is good (not referring to penis there). It's healthy to think highly of yourself. Also important to be happy with yourself.

Current thinking is that it's not healthy(or helpful), to think highly of yourself ......... much better to be realistic and honest with your assessment of yourself. See: News, Politics and Current Affairs, 'A Generation of Deluded Narcissists'.

My BOLD ^ ^ ^

• Like 1

Ok, I'm being deliberately vague with this.

I'm sure most of us have one or to nemesis in the Community who clash because there's just something about their posts/attitute/style that doesn't sit well with our own EGO's..

So, show us your Egos.

And let's discuss & define what Ego actually is.

And pick apart each other's Ego.

How are you defining Ego? (Freud's or your own)

What is your purpose in picking apart ego's?

• Like 1

Currently in News, Politics and Current Affairs: 'A Generation of Deluded Narcissists' makes very interesting reading IMO.

I'm not delusional I really am God!

• Like 2

May I try to explain a little better?

Maybe because I am aware of the Ego at play at all times..... It doesn't need to be tickled/ threatened to draw my attention to it. i have been studying this for some time ....oh, only about 30 odd years or more. Anyways, my point is...... i know enough now to know, it is always there...Present, waiting, like a nagging bore waiting to elbow in.

Have you ever seen an ill-treated dog that is so up the wall wanting to be alpha that it is on guard constantly..... This is the ego..... Your's/ mine...It's the ego. It is not subdued because the risk it holds onto so tightly is flawed...It sees loss where there is none. It sees losing, when there is nothing to lose. It sees only want. Holding tight to an imagined situation or circumstance.

No amount of molly-codling, stroking, recognition, accolades, accreditation's, scores, wins, numbers nor awards will every abate its greed for supremacy. By it's nature you can never appease the Ego....It's nuts.

Give in to the ego mania.

Buy yourself a crown off Ebay and some robes you'll enjoy it. Your neighbours might look at you oddly and the postman might think you've gone insane but who cares about them?

:lol:

Get that Ego back on the leash..

How are you defining Ego? (Freud's or your own)

What is your purpose in picking apart ego's?

Sherapy..

20960 posts (wow impressed)

74 likes.. ( :lol:)

But seriously.. I'm defining Ego as I percieve it, which I guess is a mix of Freud & my own crock-pot theories.. Not so much Jung as I havn't really looked into his theories of Ego.

My purpose in picking apart Ego's is genuine interest.. I know I have an Ego that I need to understand better.. Having other people join in this exersize is entertaining, educational & empowering.. I do however have an alterior motive, however, so far, there's been no oportunities for this alterior motive to be realised..

Your a ticky one Sherapy..

I've read a few of your posts in the past and to be honest I've found your posts very difficult to read and understand which makes me think that your Ego & personality is at a completely different wavelength to what I know.. I'll take a stab at part of your personality from what I can glean anyway, and say that you over anylise far to much to the point of missing points altogether..

Am I right?

Anyway, pick apart an Ego if you like.. B-Randomly hasn't been picked on yet.. I'd love to pick on his Ego, but we know each other quite well through PM's, so that would be cheating in my book..

Editied to add: I don't think anyone has picked on Oujia's alter ego either..

Edited by Professor T

No, you're dangerously narcissistic. You've been handed the world on a golden platter, whilst retaining the silver spoon. You have had no challenges.

Your user name denotes a 'self made man' and self admittedly, you're clearly not that.

In a way, I feel sorry for you. :(