Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Show us your EGO!

Professor T

Editied to add: I don't think anyone has picked on Oujia's alter ego either..

I went to Ouija's profile, and it's all there.

My base response? She's someone that entertains mysticism and exhibits a lot of empathy.

Soooo what?

No, you're dangerously narcissistic. You've been handed the world on a golden platter, whilst retaining the silver spoon. You have had no challenges.

Your user name denotes a 'self made man' and self admittedly, you're clearly not that.

In a way, I feel sorry for you. :(

Most narcissists have a poor self-image and their narcissism is a defence mechanism used to protect their damaged egos.

I have no damaged ego and my self-esteem is actually very high. I dont fit the criteria for megalomania because -

1. I'm not neurotic (I'm not deluding away a distressful incident using narcissism).

2. Its not an anxiety related to the loss or disappearance of an object.

3. I dont suffer from paranoia.

4. I dont have volatile mood swings between depression and mania (bi-polar).

5. I'm not depressed and have no history of it.

My ego is about the entertainment value it brings me not a mental disorder. I'm what you would call a complete muppet lol.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

There was a priest, a rabbi, and me. We were on top of of a 100 story sky scrapper with bets about our egos. The rabbi whips out his ego..

"wow... 4 floors, beat that guys"

The priest goes

"piece of cake" he brings his ego out and lets it hang.

"holy crap!!!! Ten stories!!!"

At this point they look over at me at me and I'm jumping up around swinging my hips and weaving.

"what the hell are you doing seeker?"

"......IM DODGING TRAFFIC!!!"

• Like 4

Sherapy..

20960 posts (wow impressed)

74 likes.. ( :lol:)

But seriously.. I'm defining Ego as I percieve it, which I guess is a mix of Freud & my own crock-pot theories.. Not so much Jung as I havn't really looked into his theories of Ego.

My purpose in picking apart Ego's is genuine interest.. I know I have an Ego that I need to understand better.. Having other people join in this exersize is entertaining, educational & empowering.. I do however have an alterior motive, however, so far, there's been no oportunities for this alterior motive to be realised..

Your a ticky one Sherapy..

I've read a few of your posts in the past and to be honest I've found your posts very difficult to read and understand which makes me think that your Ego & personality is at a completely different wavelength to what I know.. I'll take a stab at part of your personality from what I can glean anyway, and say that you over anylise far to much to the point of missing points altogether..

Am I right?

Anyway, pick apart an Ego if you like.. B-Randomly hasn't been picked on yet.. I'd love to pick on his Ego, but we know each other quite well through PM's, so that would be cheating in my book..

Editied to add: I don't think anyone has picked on Oujia's alter ego either..

Then how do you perceive ego Mr.T ? How are you incorporating Freud's theory of Ego into your perception of ego?

Give in to the ego mania.

Buy yourself a crown off Ebay and some robes you'll enjoy it. Your neighbours might look at you oddly and the postman might think you've gone insane but who cares about them?

You obviously don't know anything about me Mr Wrong wig...... Of cause I have tried the many masks, guises, hats, shields, crowns, labels, badges, awards, accolades, being the so called winner. i have tried it all out for size.The donning of habits, robes and superficialities. There is nothing of substance nor sustenance with in it...... I got bored.

i feel i would have to be pretty stupid and/or superficial to still be in need of that. Yet if I had not ventured into its realms i could not speak from the well trodden path of understanding/ knowledge I have.

It's all part of the exploration into what it is to be-ing human as we are not a one thing but multi-facetted with the Ego being within the realms of the darker side of ones own self, so to speak. No-one can only stay in the light, if we are to know ourselves and each other. To see the contrast have the measure, the gauge, the understanding?

Been there, done.

I hope this helps.

Then how do you perceive ego Mr.T ? How are you incorporating Freud's theory of Ego into your perception of ego?

Admitably, most of the time my ego percieves is self.. But sometimes especially when meditating or in deep self reflection or thought, my true self squeezes through and percieves my ego.. Is kind of hard to explain, I had a onion chart showing Ego and layers of with the borders between types of Self. Through Meditation, the boders between True self & Ego are easily crossed..

Imo, Ego is, like i said before, a false center. It is the result of living with other Ego's.. It's needy, and want's to be socially accepted and liked and noticed.. Society builds your Ego and your ego is strengthened by society and how society reflects back on you.. Ego however is not the real you because Ego is a reflection of society.. Ego needs to be fed and pampered and told that it' fits into society.. It's contionuously seeking attention and it uses the outside world and others to justify it's existence.. It is false, because it thinks it is the center of existence but isn't. As far as I'm aware, Jung puts Ego in the center of existence, and Freud put's it outside of the true self.. Like Freud, I place Ego as an encasing or sheilding mask around the other layers of your true self.

• Like 2

You obviously don't know anything about me Mr Wrong wig...... Of cause I have tried the many masks, guises, hats, shields, crowns, labels, badges, awards, accolades, being the so called winner. i have tried it all out for size.The donning of habits, robes and superficialities. There is nothing of substance nor sustenance with in it...... I got bored.

i feel i would have to be pretty stupid and/or superficial to still be in need of that. Yet if I had not ventured into its realms i could not speak from the well trodden path of understanding/ knowledge I have.

It's all part of the exploration into what it is to be-ing human as we are not a one thing but multi-facetted with the Ego being within the realms of the darker side of ones own self, so to speak. No-one can only stay in the light, if we are to know ourselves and each other. To see the contrast have the measure, the gauge, the understanding?

Been there, done.

I hope this helps.

Great post!

Blue, for me to be able to get an actual reality principle( a idea of who one is) or the Freudian term "Ego" online in and of itself would be extremely limited. I have experienced over and over the online persona doesn't translate at all who the person is. This has been the most profound insight I have come too, no one I talked to via online only ended up being like they were online in real life. I think online serves as a way to initiate conversations but without meeting them or talking to them it can only be shallow/surface at best( we maybe can glean we are of like minds , but that is about it. IMO) I cannot truly know someone or contribute anything of valuable feedback to them until I have personal experience with them. I do not think one can get a full picture of anyone's identity without actually talking to them in person and spending time with them.

• Like 2

There was a priest, a rabbi, and me. We were on top of of a 100 story sky scrapper with bets about our egos. The rabbi whips out his ego..

"wow... 4 floors, beat that guys"

The priest goes

"piece of cake" he brings his ego out and lets it hang.

"holy crap!!!! Ten stories!!!"

At this point they look over at me at me and I'm jumping up around swinging my hips and weaving.

"what the hell are you doing seeker?"

"......IM DODGING TRAFFIC!!!"

:lol:

Awesome Ego you have there!!

Go on! Put it to use...

See if you can pick apart someone elses Ego. I've seen you do this before..

Poor B Randomly hasn't had his Ego picked apart yet, Nor has Aquilia..

P.S..

Seeker79.. 3rd to last on the most liked/loved scale..

How does that make you feel?

de7d38.jpg

:lol:

Awesome Ego you have there!!

Go on! Put it to use...

See if you can pick apart someone elses Ego. I've seen you do this before..

Poor B Randomly hasn't had his Ego picked apart yet, Nor has Aquilia..

P.S..

Seeker79.. 3rd to last on the most liked/loved scale..

How does that make you feel?

de7d38.jpg

I used to do this actually... This is a bit like profiling. I am very good ( see my ego), but I have learned to refrain... Look up my thread " inner voice"......

And one more thing... Sherpy over 20,000 posts but 74 likes.. Holy crap... We don't always agree, but what is that about .... seriously.. I never thought she was that disagreeable... Quit logical actually.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1

Sherapy probably released 20,500 comments before the 'like' button was brought in.

Which would probably raise her 'like quotient' far above the rest of ours.

This is just junk science, or a meaningless social experiment.

• Like 3

Sherapy probably released 20,500 comments before the 'like' button was brought in.

Which would probably raise her 'like quotient' far above the rest of ours.

This is just junk science, or a meaningless social experiment.

Got it.. Ok.. That makes more sense. Was the like button introduced before the mobile version like button. 98% of my posts are from my iPhone.

It is interesting, to me, anyway, somebody who is concerned with both psychology and quantitative reasoning, to see what is happening spontaneously to Professor T's newly proposed statistic, likes per post.

People without a dog in the fight come up with other factors besides "ego" that improve the interpretation of the statistic, and do so for reasons other than "defending" their own egos. For example,

- that the like button didn't exist until the end of April last year, but some people had thousands of posts before then, while others being compared with them weren't even members yet,

- that some subforums of UM are more generous with conferring likes than others, and many people concentrate their posts in a relatively small number of subforums.

- that not all readers are equally situated to confer likes (daily limits, time zone differences, and different accommodations for mobile users have been mentioned).

In the interest of full disclosure, I passed 5,000 posts right at the end of April 2012. Meh, Sheri had about four times that many posts by then... oh look, I have more likes-per-post than Sheri, and doesn't that give my ego a boost?

No, actually it doesn't. And from a Jungian perspective, that it doesn't, because I realize that the comparison with Sheri is bogus, root and branch is an example of my ego at work. I am conscious, and being conscious, I notice some features of reality. Like the features that make "likes per post" a silly thing to use when comparing myself (or anybody here) to others, without a good deal of both scepticism and attention to what the hell I want to compare.

Like everything else human, the ego doesn't work perfectly. Maybe my own ego works less perfectly than many other folks'. But ego is the light of consciousness we have. It is the place from which any "expansion of consciousness" will begin. The last thing anybody needs is to lose their ego. What almost everybody does need is more perspective about where their ego fits in, even within their own skull, but also in the larger world, too.

Ego is not a "false center," but it is very easy to wallow in false ideas about what the ego is the center of. Fortunately, one of the ego's functions is to try to fathom where it is. And yeah, that search almost necessarily starts from an illusory impression that it's at the center of everything. That's only a probelm when somebody gets stuck there.

• Like 2

I used to do this actually... This is a bit like profiling. I am very good ( see my ego), but I have learned to refrain... Look up my thread " inner voice"......

The Inner voice thread in the Psychic Readings forum is irrelivant imo and has nothing to do with Ego. I read the first two pages only, it concerns communication with other entities, not Ego as far as I can tell.

It is interesting, to me, anyway, somebody who is concerned with both psychology and quantitative reasoning, to see what is happening spontaneously to Professor T's newly proposed statistic, likes per post.

People without a dog in the fight come up with other factors besides "ego" that improve the interpretation of the statistic, and do so for reasons other than "defending" their own egos. For example,

- that the like button didn't exist until the end of April last year, but some people had thousands of posts before then, while others being compared with them weren't even members yet,

- that some subforums of UM are more generous with conferring likes than others, and many people concentrate their posts in a relatively small number of subforums.

- that not all readers are equally situated to confer likes (daily limits, time zone differences, and different accommodations for mobile users have been mentioned).

In the interest of full disclosure, I passed 5,000 posts right at the end of April 2012. Meh, Sheri had about four times that many posts by then... oh look, I have more likes-per-post than Sheri, and doesn't that give my ego a boost?

No, actually it doesn't. And from a Jungian perspective, that it doesn't, because I realize that the comparison with Sheri is bogus, root and branch is an example of my ego at work. I am conscious, and being conscious, I notice some features of reality. Like the features that make "likes per post" a silly thing to use when comparing myself (or anybody here) to others, without a good deal of both scepticism and attention to what the hell I want to compare.

Like everything else human, the ego doesn't work perfectly. Maybe my own ego works less perfectly than many other folks'. But ego is the light of consciousness we have. It is the place from which any "expansion of consciousness" will begin. The last thing anybody needs is to lose their ego. What almost everybody does need is more perspective about where their ego fits in, even within their own skull, but also in the larger world, too.

Ego is not a "false center," but it is very easy to wallow in false ideas about what the ego is the center of. Fortunately, one of the ego's functions is to try to fathom where it is. And yeah, that search almost necessarily starts from an illusory impression that it's at the center of everything. That's only a probelm when somebody gets stuck there.

tee hee!

Yep, for likes per post being irrelivant there's sure been a lot of defence as to why their likes are low.. :tu: Good spotting.. Ego's can't resist letting that slide. edited to add: Even though my spread sheet of most liked is a completely irrelivant sideshow..

Also, I see you are of the Jungian persuasion.. Cool, I think most are Freudian, as far as Ego goes, so I look forward to a bit of discussion regarding how wrong you are about Ego not being a false center, :lol: & how Ego is the last thing anybody needs to loose because there is at least one person reading this thread (no comments yet though) who has no Ego..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

Narcissism is a personality disorder caused by someone not being able to regulate their thoughts and feelings when it comes to stuff which undermines their ego.

If I walk down the street and come across a guy even more attractive than me (heaven forbid!) I regulate my thoughts by -

1. Not allowing myself to be negative.

2. I'm actually positive for the guy and see it as leading to future generations of good looking people which will benefit society.

A narcissist cant do that so they go negative about themselves. Unable to regulate their thoughts and feelings they resort to maladaption -

1. Undermine him by finding something wrong with him.

2. Go neurotic, convince themselves he's a weirdo and portray him as one.

3. Attack him.

4. Get a pint glass out and make a few modifications.

5. Murder him.

etc

The more severe their disorder the further they progress down the list. I can guarentee everyone has 1 or 2 of these in their office who are mistaken as bullies instead of the mentally ill.

Edited by Mr Right Wing
  • Like 1

tee hee!

Yep, for likes per post being irrelivant there's sure been a lot of defence as to why their likes are low.. :tu: Good spotting.. Ego's can't resist letting that slide. edited to add: Even though my spread sheet of most liked is a completely irrelivant sideshow..

Also, I see you are of the Jungian persuasion.. Cool, I think most are Freudian, as far as Ego goes, so I look forward to a bit of discussion regarding how wrong you are about Ego not being a false center, :lol: & how Ego is the last thing anybody needs to loose because there is at least one person reading this thread (no comments yet though) who has no Ego..

Occult influences could cause an inflated ego.

If you have a NDE, meet God and God sends you back telling you that you're destined for great things your ego would take off. Thats not a personality disorder.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Mr RW

Narcissism is a personality disorder caused by someone not being able to regulate their thoughts and feelings when it comes to stuff which undermines their ego.

Yes, it could be described as an "ego disorder," if you'd like. Everything else in the human mind and body can malfunction, too. Amputation is not necessarily the correct treatment, however. So, just in case that's where the thread is headed, I take the chance to observe that.

Prof T

Yep, for likes per post being irrelivant there's sure been a lot of defence as to why their likes are low..

In my post, I disclosed the dog I had in the fight. You can make of that whatever you like. However, the occasion of my posting was as follows:

Sheri contributed to the thread (most recently at # 132)

That automatically added her to your spreadsheet, where she came in dead last, and an order of magnitude behind me.

Seeker noted Sheri's "problem" in post 135. Likely Guy in 136 correctly pointed out the huge volume of her posting before there was a like button. (The relative recency of the like button had also been discussed earlier in the thread, before Sheri ever posted.) Seeker in 137 acknowledged the merit of Likely Guy's explanation, and asked about the mobile accommodation. Then I posted in 138, summarizing the situation as I saw it.

Sheri said not a word about it.

Ego's can't resist letting that slide.

Hers did.

Does the thought not occur that your making a snide, and false, remark about the ego of those who do not embrace your invention might itself be an ego defense? Speaking of which,

edited to add: Even though my spread sheet of most liked is a completely irrelivant sideshow..

I believe that defense, if that is what it is, is called "sour grapes."

But I do thank you for the "like." And I do think this is interesting thread, as I said way back when, before my ego was "threatened."

• Like 1

Mr RW

Yes, it could be described as an "ego disorder," if you'd like. Everything else in the human mind and body can malfunction, too. Amputation is not necessarily the correct treatment, however. So, just in case that's where the thread is headed, I take the chance to observe that.

Prof T

Ah the beloved lobotomy lol

Does the thought not occur that your making a snide, and false, remark about the ego of those who do not embrace your invention might itself be an ego defense? Speaking of which,

I believe that defense, if that is what it is, is called "sour grapes."

But I do thank you for the "like." And I do think this is interesting thread, as I said way back when, before my ego was "threatened."

One the first point.. nope.. & Actually I wasn't just referring to Sherapy, I was also referring to anyone who has made defensive remarks regarding likes per post..

On your second point, no sour grapes here.. But on the Ego front I did have a giggle.. (I guess that is a defensive gesture)

My only gripe about Sherapy's posts is she has invested her time and energy in Quizzing me about Ego, my intention to disect it, and my purpose for picking it apart, and how I percieve it.

But she hasn't answered my one Question below????

Your a ticky one Sherapy..

I've read a few of your posts in the past and to be honest I've found your posts very difficult to read and understand which makes me think that your Ego & personality is at a completely different wavelength to what I know.. I'll take a stab at part of your personality from what I can glean anyway, and say that you over anylise far to much to the point of missing points altogether..

Am I right?

Failure to get back to me on this is a sour grape offence imo for the following reasons..

1. I invested my time and energy to seriously draw a picture of Sherapy's Ego, and she has not confirmed or denied whether I was right or wrong.. This leaves me sitting here thinking "Well, I just wasted my time and energy for nothing..."
  2. Failing to get a result from this little experiment in gleaning now leaves me thinking "Why did she not answer with a simple Yes or No?" Was I bang on and somehow offended her? Or was I completely wrong and her failure to answer my simple question (after answering her tirade of questions) is just a symptom of a Ego who just takes and doesn't give back to others who are percieved as unimportant satellites around her ego?
  3. My ego enjoy's being right.. and let's face it, if you have an ego (even if it's on a leash) it loves being right, but more importantly it loves to be acknowleded and not quzzed then thrown away without so much as a response or a thankyou..

The Inner voice thread in the Psychic Readings forum is irrelivant imo and has nothing to do with Ego. I read the first two pages only, it concerns communication with other entities, not Ego as far as I can tell.

During that thread I was accessing thoughts from several aspects of different entities/egos. To basically create a profile of the person I was reading. Its basically what you are doing here on this thread. Only i was focused on the reading of specific roblems and potential solutions. Picking apart an ego, profiling, listening to your inner voice about Somone... All pretty much the same thing.

For me it was an exercise in connecting with guiding spirits/egos without being in trance, which I am perfectly willing to admit may be deep archetypical aspects of myself.

• Like 1

One the first point.. nope.. & Actually I wasn't just referring to Sherapy, I was also referring to anyone who has made defensive remarks regarding likes per post..

On your second point, no sour grapes here.. But on the Ego front I did have a giggle.. (I guess that is a defensive gesture)

My only gripe about Sherapy's posts is she has invested her time and energy in Quizzing me about Ego, my intention to disect it, and my purpose for picking it apart, and how I percieve it.

But she hasn't answered my one Question below????

Failure to get back to me on this is a sour grape offence imo for the following reasons..

1. I invested my time and energy to seriously draw a picture of Sherapy's Ego, and she has not confirmed or denied whether I was right or wrong.. This leaves me sitting here thinking "Well, I just wasted my time and energy for nothing..."
  2. Failing to get a result from this little experiment in gleaning now leaves me thinking "Why did she not answer with a simple Yes or No?" Was I bang on and somehow offended her? Or was I completely wrong and her failure to answer my simple question (after answering her tirade of questions) is just a symptom of a Ego who just takes and doesn't give back to others who are percieved as unimportant satellites around her ego?
  3. My ego enjoy's being right.. and let's face it, if you have an ego (even if it's on a leash) it loves being right, but more importantly it loves to be acknowleded and not quzzed then thrown away without so much as a response or a thankyou..

i often find the Ego will get offended by seemingly unimportant things and will point the finger and accuse others of the very thing it, itself, is actually doing. As a smoke and mirrors deflection, one of the ego's most used approaches to getting what it wants. It can be such a whining child.

Oh and by the by, whilst I have read much by most on the ego......I hold little to any of Freudian thinking. Plus, whilst I do lean more to Jungian theories. i try to think for myself. Neither, Freud nor Jung hold the monopoly on the aspects of ego interpretation or understanding..... As I said in an earlier post.... Ego comes into many philosophies, psychology work and spiritual beliefs.

• Like 2

This may not work, but I will try anyway. So, to take this "Show us your Ego" literally, I here show the ego...

e4e1bb31e861.jpg

• Like 4

i often find the Ego will get offended by seemingly unimportant things and will point the finger and accuse others of the very thing it, itself, is actually doing. As a smoke and mirrors deflection, one of the ego's most used approaches to getting what it wants. It can be such a whining child.

Oh and by the by, whilst I have read much by most on the ego......I hold little to any of Freudian thinking. Plus, whilst I do lean more to Jungian theories. i try to think for myself. Neither, Freud nor Jung hold the monopoly on the aspects of ego interpretation or understanding..... As I said in an earlier post.... Ego comes into many philosophies, psychology work and spiritual beliefs.

I admit, I do ignore some posters because I don't want to waste energy on them.. There are one or two here in UM that I've personally identified as people who don't find any other people's opinions worthy and as such they only post for their own egocentric amusement. Apart from that, I do answer most questions when asked.. I rarely point the finger, exept in this case where Ego is being questioned...

What makes Jung's philosophy on Ego so appealing to you?

During that thread I was accessing thoughts from several aspects of different entities/egos. To basically create a profile of the person I was reading. Its basically what you are doing here on this thread. Only i was focused on the reading of specific roblems and potential solutions. Picking apart an ego, profiling, listening to your inner voice about Somone... All pretty much the same thing.

For me it was an exercise in connecting with guiding spirits/egos without being in trance, which I am perfectly willing to admit may be deep archetypical aspects of myself.

Hmmmmmmmm... This is a very vague response..

There's no clear definition here between entities & egos..

no clear definition here between spirits & egos..

Do you mean Entities and Spirits as extentions of your Ego?