Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curiosity Spots Mystery Mars 'Flower'

sean6

Curiosity Spots Mystery Mars 'Flower

While using its robotic arm-mounted Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) camera to take some close up photos of the surface of a rocky outcrop at a location dubbed "Yellowknife Bay" on Dec. 19 (sol 132 of the mission), a bright object could be seen in one of the raw images uploaded to the mission's website. Its discovery has caused quite a stir on AboveTopSecret.com where it was first reported.

http://news.discovery.com/space/curiosity-spots-mystery-mars-flower-130104.html

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/03/16329185-curiosity-rover-studies-rocks-and-a-flower-on-mars?lite

Wish they would find something that would go down in the history books.

• Like 2

Hey, maybe Mars passed recreational marijuana use, and its a pot seedling.

Wish they would find something that would go down in the history books.

Yep, something earth shaking would be excellent.

As usual, we will not see or hear anymore about this NASA "slip-up".

As usual you are claiming conspiracy when there isn't one. If NASA is covering things up as you are constantly hinting why ate they releasing the images in the first place? That would not be a logical way to behave.

• Like 1

seeing how this thread is about curiosity - did anyone else on here submit their name to NASA to include it on a microchip aboard the rover? i see from the NASA site 1,246,445 people submitted their name. i think its rather cool my name is on Mars.

• Like 1

seeing how this thread is about curiosity - did anyone else on here submit their name to NASA to include it on a microchip aboard the rover? i see from the NASA site 1,246,445 people submitted their name. i think its rather cool my name is on Mars.

Too Kool stevewinn ! Wish I would of seen that ! Happy New YEar ! remember that what Happens on Mars stays on Mars ! :alien::no:

• Like 1

did anyone else on here submit their name to NASA to include it on a microchip aboard the rover?

Yep, my name is on Mars, It's also orbiting the Moon on the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. If the Japanese ever sort out Akutsuki it will be orbiting Venus as well.

Edited to add:

I've just remembered, my name is also on a DVD carried to Mars by the Mars Phoenix Lander.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 4

Waspie_Dwarf

Thank you DVD name

It doesn't have a name, nor is it commercially available. It simply contains a list of a quater of a million names submitted to The Planetary Society and then placed on the Mars Phoenix Lander.

My name is on every one they have offered to put names on. I wonder if the rock could be a salt crystal? I wish they would make one to pick up stuff to return so we could get a good look at it. I want to go rock hunting on mars!!

• Like 1

So was this "flower" dug out and checked out?. If not, why not? If it was, why have they remained silent about it?

So was this "flower" dug out and checked out?. If not, why not? If it was, why have they remained silent about it?

When are you going to answer the questions I've asked you twice? Argument from incredulity is a logical fallacy.

Curiosity is still not fully commissioned. It's drill, which would needed to drill into this object has not been tested yet.

Answer me this, why should NASA be interested in this anyway? What is so special about it?

NASA have teams of the best geologists, planetary scientists and astrobiologists in the world. They know what is and isn't an important target.

Maybe some random individual on the internet thinking that because something that looks a little bit like a flower it must be a flower is not the right person to determine what NASA should and shouldn't test.

I've got news for you Zeta Reticulum, it's not you that knows what is happening and NASA that are clueless, it's the other way around.

Now please discuss conspiracy theories in the conspiracies section and beliefs in extraterrestrial life in the extraterrestrial life section. That way those of us that wish to discuss science can continue to do so in the science section... the clues are in the forum names.

• Like 2

Answer me this, why should NASA be interested in this anyway? What is so special about it?

I'll answer. At the risk of some paradolia, the image showed the bright flower thing and what appears to be shell on the upper left of it. As a person who has dug in the earth for many years, finding fossils of shells and many times the replacement of their soft parts by calcite, pyrite or quartz - it does appear, at first glance, that it could be a shell of that type and disposition. A lot of these are found in limestone and other conglomerates that appear superficially to be similar to what we see on mars. At least I thought maybe a second look.

• Like 1

I'll answer. At the risk of some paradolia, the image showed the bright flower thing and what appears to be shell on the upper left of it. As a person who has dug in the earth for many years, finding fossils of shells and many times the replacement of their soft parts by calcite, pyrite or quartz - it does appear, at first glance, that it could be a shell of that type and disposition. A lot of these are found in limestone and other conglomerates that appear superficially to be similar to what we see on mars. At least I thought maybe a second look.

What I don't think people are getting is the scale of this thing, because it is taken through the Mars Hand Lends Imager which is effectively a microscope.

How many of the fossil shells you found were roughly the size of a grain of sand? That is the size of the so called flower.

• Like 1

What I don't think people are getting is the scale of this thing, because it is taken through the Mars Hand Lends Imager which is effectively a microscope.

How many of the fossil shells you found were roughly the size of a grain of sand? That is the size of the so called flower.

Ahh I see. I don't know the scale.

Ahh I see. I don't know the scale.

A quick look at the image link from the original poster clearly shows it is substantially bigger than a grain of sand, which can be also seen in the same picture.

Zeta Reticulum, please return to this related thread and address the questions asked of you, if you would rather that I don't draw some conclusions....

Added.. BTW, before rashly saying how big a typical earth sand grains would look in that image, you might want to take a good hard look here.., and read the text description..

Edited by Chrlzs