Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paranoia Feeding American Gun Culture

ninjadude

My good conscience has a way of speaking out sometimes. I could absolutely shoot someone if I needed to. I never want to and if I did, say it was just a relatively harmless thief, I would hope he didn't die. Believe me I'd do the right thing but I just don't find it easy to say I could kill somebody without a second thought.

Being real though, more than anything I just like to shoot targets. It's fun. Defense is a bonus use. ATM it's about being told by the left what I can and can't own and what is and isn't good for me. Then again, when don't they do that?

You just hang on to your pellet gun brother...you don't have the mindset for killing anyone even in self defense and it is obvious...that's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is. There is no such thing as a relatively harmless thief! If someone breaks into your house...they will kill you...it might not be their intent...might have just been to take your TV for a fix...but if you are there and confront them...just remember if someone has the testicles to break into your house...regardless of their age...they have the same to kill you. :)

You just hang on to your pellet gun brother...you don't have the mindset for killing anyone even in self defense and it is obvious...that's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is. There is no such thing as a relatively harmless thief! If someone breaks into your house...they will kill you...it might not be their intent...might have just been to take your TV for a fix...but if you are there and confront them...just remember if someone has the testicles to break into your house...regardless of their age...they have the same to kill you. :)

That's not what the cops told me when investigating a robbery 1 week ago.

Gimme a break Joc. Some of you guys are acting as if killing is no big deal. Maybe not if you've done it before but all I'm saying is how I think I'd feel and think. It's really hard to say anything about a situation I've never been in before and a lot of people find it all too easy to say a lot of things about situations they haven't been in before. I don't talk the talk if I can't walk the walk and I also don't talk the talk about situations I've never been in before. I call that bull****ting. I'm just being honest but believe me, no one is going to roll over on me or my house without a fight. Doesn't mean I shouldn't own one if I wanted.

• Like 3

That's not what the cops told me when investigating a robbery 1 week ago.

What did the cops tell you Stellar?

Gimme a break Joc. Some of you guys are acting as if killing is no big deal. Maybe not if you've done it before but all I'm saying is how I think I'd feel and think. It's really hard to say anything about a situation I've never been in before and a lot of people find it all too easy to say a lot of things about situations they haven't been in before. I don't talk the talk if I can't walk the walk and I also don't talk the talk about situations I've never been in before. I call that bull****ting. I'm just being honest but believe me, no one is going to roll over on me or my house without a fight. Doesn't mean I shouldn't own one if I wanted.

Break given! :) You are absolutely right...talk is cheap...and if you haven't been in that situation you really don't know how you would act...and I haven't so...pretty much, yeah...just bs-ing...

...I think a good analogy is going to court. Regardless of why you are going to court, traffic ticket or something more serious; when you start thinking about what you are going to say to the judge, you play out this 'court scene' in your head...but then...when you actually get to court, it is nothing like what you thought and everything you thought you would say is irrelevant.

So...again...you are right. Talk is cheap. And anyone who has never been in that situation...me included is just 'talking'. My hope is that none of us ever have to face a moment like that. My point really in all of the 'talking' is that if you are 'in the moment' facing an intruder inside of your house, you do not really have much of a luxury of having a conversation with them about why they are there. The fact that they are there at all to me is a threat...and my thinking (talking) is annihilate the threat. So, my advice to all would be intruders...if you don't want to get shot...don't break into someone's house.

• Like 2

Joc, they told me that when confronted they're likely to run.

• Like 2

Joc, they told me that when confronted they're likely to run.

Yeah, I can see that. That would be the natural instinct. And, if someone went running for the door, I probably would not shoot them in the back because, the natural instinct there would be not to.

The laws in Texas may have changed...it's been 15 years since I took the concealed carry course...but the law then was, if someone is stealing your stuff and it is dark outside...and they are running from your house, you can use deadly force...if it is dark. To which our instructor told us that if it was his Kabota Tractor going down the road he might start shooting...but if it is your Boom Box or TV running down the street...you might want to reconsider that because even though you have the legal right to shoot them...their family also has the legal right to sue you in Civil Court to which you might lose very, very big and end up selling your house and your Kabota tractor.

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

.but if it is your Boom Box or TV running down the street...you might want to reconsider that because even though you have the legal right to shoot them...their family also has the legal right to sue you in Civil Court to which you might lose very, very big and end up selling your house and your Kabota tractor.

Fool's talkin about TVs runnin down the street ... the man's nuts ... don't give guns to crazy people.

Fool's talkin about TVs runnin down the street ... the man's nuts ... don't give guns to crazy people.

Are you really an angry black man?

• Like 1

What did the cops tell you Stellar?

Break given! :) You are absolutely right...talk is cheap...and if you haven't been in that situation you really don't know how you would act...and I haven't so...pretty much, yeah...just bs-ing...

...I think a good analogy is going to court. Regardless of why you are going to court, traffic ticket or something more serious; when you start thinking about what you are going to say to the judge, you play out this 'court scene' in your head...but then...when you actually get to court, it is nothing like what you thought and everything you thought you would say is irrelevant.

So...again...you are right. Talk is cheap. And anyone who has never been in that situation...me included is just 'talking'. My hope is that none of us ever have to face a moment like that. My point really in all of the 'talking' is that if you are 'in the moment' facing an intruder inside of your house, you do not really have much of a luxury of having a conversation with them about why they are there. The fact that they are there at all to me is a threat...and my thinking (talking) is annihilate the threat. So, my advice to all would be intruders...if you don't want to get shot...don't break into someone's house.

Glad we found common ground. I just rather not talk a lot of **** incase I end up eating it. Circumstances arise and circumstances are dealt with when they do. How that goes, nobody knows.

I think your court analogy is perfect. Actually it hits home. Several years back I sued my landlord for not returning my security deposit. At the time I was really counting on that money. He counter sued. Whatever. So ya, I was playing out a big scenario that never played out. Honest to god, I thought court was going to be like Judge Judy and every other afternoon court show. Boy was I wrong. I get there and it's the judge, myself and my landlord. Oh yeah, the ***** brought his mom with him. A bickering little old lady whom I've never met was there to be his lead witness testifying to my horrible tenant ways. She kept chiming in with such zingers as 'well I never' and 'you shoulda seen it your honor'. It was funny but annoying at the time. Point is, on the TV shows the judge leads off with questions and you pretty much answer them and you get a feel for how things are going as it goes along. That would have been such a nice and helpful guide. However in reality, the judge pretty much pitted us against eachother and had us bicker it out all while asking very few questions. I wasnt guided like I hoped. I stumbled and bumbled and so did he. I won, haha. Not as much as was was suing for but it was the principal of the matter. I was right. The douche never paid but I was still right.

• Like 2

Are you really an angry black man?

'Angry' doesn't begin to describe how I feel when I think about the hell my brothers and sisters have endured under the oppressive white rule of the Divided States. 400 years of slavery, Jim Crow laws, and now they're targeting us again us by allowing these guns to enter our urban communities to destroy us.

Edited by DoesntReallyLike
  • Like 1

'Angry' doesn't begin to describe how I feel when I think about the hell my brothers and sisters have endured under the oppressive white rule of the Divided States. 400 years of slavery, Jim Crow laws, and now they're targeting us again us by allowing these guns to enter our urban communities to destroy us.

Look, no one alive today was responsible for that slavery. Let's drop all this "oppressive white rule" crap.

• Like 2

I saw Django Unchained too - cool movie.

• Like 1

Look, no one alive today was responsible for that slavery. Let's drop all this "oppressive white rule" crap.

The rage of my slave ancestors burns in my veins. My great grandparents burned to the ground the same mansion that their white slavemaster forced dhem to build with their bare hands, and my people today will do the same to the rest of this nation which the whites have built upon the backs of my people.

The rage of my slave ancestors burns in my veins. My great grandparents burned to the ground the same mansion that their white slavemaster forced dhem to build with their bare hands, and my people today will do the same to the rest of this nation which the whites have built upon the backs of my people.

post-106978-0-95791400-1358188258_thumb.

• Like 1

What did "the whites" of this generation do to you? My guess is, as a collective, nothing. Let's stop looking at the world as black (people) and white (people) and start seeing it for what it really is: full of just people.

You're black, I'm white. Big deal. Were both human beings and what was done in the past was wrong, but the people of today didn't hold you or your great grandparents as slaves.

• Like 2

That's total flame-bait, folks. Don't even believe it.

I would put some dollars down on the chance that it's another poster who logs in by another name. Perhaps the administrator could check us all for matching IP numbers.

• Like 2

That's total flame-bait, folks. Don't even believe it.

I would put some dollars down on the chance that it's another poster who logs in by another name. Perhaps the administrator could check us all for matching IP numbers.

Whatever or whoever he is...he is breaking forum rules injecting Racism into any conversation!

• Like 2

Whatever or whoever he is...he is breaking forum rules injecting Racism into any conversation!

Just another troll on UM, what else is new?

Edited by Order66
  • Like 1

What did "the whites" of this generation do to you? My guess is, as a collective, nothing. Let's stop looking at the world as black (people) and white (people) and start seeing it for what it really is: full of just people.

You're black, I'm white. Big deal. Were both human beings and what was done in the past was wrong, but the people of today didn't hold you or your great grandparents as slaves.

You pay money to the government for the roads and bridges upon which you drive, you don't say, "Why should I pay? I wasn't even alive in when they were built." But who pays for the advancements which European cultures have made using innovations of the African cultures, the cradle of civilization, only to be excluded from the wealth those innovations have provided, while my people live in poverty? Who will pay restitution for their innovations which Eurocentric white cultures have stolen and exploited to become wealthy?

You pay money to the government for the roads and bridges upon which you drive, you don't say, "Why should I pay? I wasn't even alive in when they were built." But who pays for the advancements which European cultures have made using innovations of the African cultures, the cradle of civilization, only to be excluded from the wealth those innovations have provided, while my people live in poverty? Who will pay restitution for their innovations which Eurocentric white cultures have stolen and exploited to become wealthy?

Off topic completely. If you wish to discuss this topic start another thread.

• Like 2

Stellar, after all we been through the other day you're now saying things I couldn't agree with more. Yamotos probably right about this guy and Joc is right too. He's looking for trouble. Hell, he's probably white. I'll reply to some things I don't really like about doesntreallylike. That the world, or us, owes anybody anything. Slaves were bought and sold and the act was practiced by Africans for starters, and then the rest of the world too. It isn't something that belongs to just America. It was a different world then. As for all these contributions by the cradle of civilization we don't owe anything for that either, whatever they are. Now it's public domain. Besides, half those countries are probably our enemies and we still give billions and billions of dollars through foreign aid and charity. America in general is good.

Sorry Michelle, I'm a sucker for bait sometimes. Like a dumb fish.

• Like 2

Okay..I'll bite..cause I'm bored...

Uh...exactly what innovations of the African Cultures are you talking about...The Plane...nope, the Automobile? Nope. Running water? Nope. Electricity? Nope. Recorded music? Nope Concrete? Asphalt? Mosquito Repellent? Nope....Not one African Culture ever so much as even invented the wheel...so please continue my man.

Edited by joc
  • Like 2

Recorded music?

No but did they did invent musical instruments, not to mention the first written language so you can have conversations like this. They also invented the sails by which you brought scores of my people here in chains.

See also ... http://www.inventions-handbook.com/egyptian-Inventions.html

Egyptian Inventions:

innovation from the land of pyramids

Egyptian inventions may not be the first thing that springs to mind when you think about ancient Egypt. Images of mummies and pyramids are likely the more commonly known facets of the civilization. In fact, Egypt is the birthplace of some of the most significant inventions that we still use today. Here are just a few of them:

Egyptian Inventions 1# - Black ink

Black ink was first conceptualized by the Egyptians for writing purposes. Theirs was made from vegetable gum, bee wax and soot. They didn’t just stop at black, however. Different colors were later incorporated to ink by simply substituting organic material with soot.

The ancient Egyptians didn’t just create something that revolutionized literature. They also made sure that it will last for centuries. Check out the manuscripts that they left behind. Practically everything is legible—a testament to how this civilization left an impact well beyond their time.

Egyptian Inventions 2# - Papyrus

If they invented the ink, then it only makes sense that the Egyptians also created the first paper as well. During their time, though, it was called the “papyrus”—an old-school paper made from Cyperus papyrus plants found along the Nile River.

Like their ink, the papyrus manage to last for centuries and can be found in some of the best museums today. The papyrus plant wasn't just used for paper. The plant fibres where originally utilized for mats, ropes, sandals and baskets.

Egyptian Inventions 3# - Cosmetics

Cosmetics, is one of the inventions whose origins can be traced to ancient Egypt, and it is still used today! Many Egyptian concepts are the forerunners of the modern deodorant, tooth paste, wigs and make up used to make ourselves appear better. They even had recipes for creams to remove stretch marks, a system for creating hair extension, and a cure for baldness in men. It’s true that most of their recipes today have been altered to fit specific needs, but the Egyptians first introduced the original concepts. How do you think Cleopatra got those beautifully shaped lips and lashes?

Egyptian Inventions 4# - Musical instruments

Ancient Egyptians were an advanced civilization that enjoyed all that life has to offer—including music. They created a modern version of the trumpet which was originally made using a ram’s horn. In the Egyptian version, they used metals such as copper and bronze. They even paved the way for the creation of the Lyre, and the Oud, a stringed instrument that resembles a guitar.

Egypt Invention 5# - Sails

Considering how the Nile River is so close to Egyptians home, it only made sense for the Egyptians to develop a method of water navigation. It isn’t surprising to find sails as one of their earlier inventions. In fact, the proximity of the Nile has served as an inspiration to many other inventions and innovations from Egypt, proving that necessity and availability are good sources for innovation.

Egyptian Inventions 6# - Shaduf

The Nile River was a necessity to the life in Egypt. Without it they would have problems growing crops and keeping their city alive. The shaduf was developed to aid collection of water from the Nile. A bucket was placed at one end of a pole while the other end was weighted by rocks. The pole was then balanced on a stable stand, resembling your modern see-saw. Think of it as an old-school well for fetching water. The exact device is not really used nowadays, but the concept still lingers.

Egyptian Inventions 7# - Clocks

Mechanical clocks were invented in different parts of the world, but it was the Egyptians that introduced the concept. The most popular one is probably the sun clock where the shadow made by the sun is used to judge what time of day it is. You’ve probably heard of them before as “obelisks”.

But what happens if the sun is gone? That’s where the water clock comes in. The Ancient Egyptians created them to tell time at night. It works like an hourglass where water drips down at a predictable rate and time is told depending on the level of liquid. The invention of the clock also gave way to other inventions such as the 365-day calendar we use today and even the concept of leap years!

The concept of clocks also helped largely with the classification of seasons. Remember how important the Nile River is? Well, the conceptualization of “time” helped Egyptians plot when flood season is coming, when drought will most likely happen, when is the time to harvest, and when they should start planting crops.

Of course, those aren’t the only inventions that emerged out of Egypt and contributed to society. Those mentioned are basically the product of ancient Egypt but even many inventions today still come from the Egypt.

No but did they did invent musical instruments, not to mention the first written language so you can have conversations like this. They also invented the sails by which you brought scores of my people here in chains.

See also ... http://www.invention...Inventions.html

Egyptian Inventions:

innovation from the land of pyramids

Egyptian inventions may not be the first thing that springs to mind when you think about ancient Egypt. Images of mummies and pyramids are likely the more commonly known facets of the civilization. In fact, Egypt is the birthplace of some of the most significant inventions that we still use today. Here are just a few of them:

Egyptian Inventions 1# - Black ink

Black ink was first conceptualized by the Egyptians for writing purposes. Theirs was made from vegetable gum, bee wax and soot. They didn’t just stop at black, however. Different colors were later incorporated to ink by simply substituting organic material with soot.

The ancient Egyptians didn’t just create something that revolutionized literature. They also made sure that it will last for centuries. Check out the manuscripts that they left behind. Practically everything is legible—a testament to how this civilization left an impact well beyond their time.

Egyptian Inventions 2# - Papyrus

If they invented the ink, then it only makes sense that the Egyptians also created the first paper as well. During their time, though, it was called the “papyrus”—an old-school paper made from Cyperus papyrus plants found along the Nile River.

Like their ink, the papyrus manage to last for centuries and can be found in some of the best museums today. The papyrus plant wasn't just used for paper. The plant fibres where originally utilized for mats, ropes, sandals and baskets.

Egyptian Inventions 3# - Cosmetics

Cosmetics, is one of the inventions whose origins can be traced to ancient Egypt, and it is still used today! Many Egyptian concepts are the forerunners of the modern deodorant, tooth paste, wigs and make up used to make ourselves appear better. They even had recipes for creams to remove stretch marks, a system for creating hair extension, and a cure for baldness in men. It’s true that most of their recipes today have been altered to fit specific needs, but the Egyptians first introduced the original concepts. How do you think Cleopatra got those beautifully shaped lips and lashes?

Egyptian Inventions 4# - Musical instruments

Ancient Egyptians were an advanced civilization that enjoyed all that life has to offer—including music. They created a modern version of the trumpet which was originally made using a ram’s horn. In the Egyptian version, they used metals such as copper and bronze. They even paved the way for the creation of the Lyre, and the Oud, a stringed instrument that resembles a guitar.

Egypt Invention 5# - Sails

Considering how the Nile River is so close to Egyptians home, it only made sense for the Egyptians to develop a method of water navigation. It isn’t surprising to find sails as one of their earlier inventions. In fact, the proximity of the Nile has served as an inspiration to many other inventions and innovations from Egypt, proving that necessity and availability are good sources for innovation.

Egyptian Inventions 6# - Shaduf

The Nile River was a necessity to the life in Egypt. Without it they would have problems growing crops and keeping their city alive. The shaduf was developed to aid collection of water from the Nile. A bucket was placed at one end of a pole while the other end was weighted by rocks. The pole was then balanced on a stable stand, resembling your modern see-saw. Think of it as an old-school well for fetching water. The exact device is not really used nowadays, but the concept still lingers.

Egyptian Inventions 7# - Clocks

Mechanical clocks were invented in different parts of the world, but it was the Egyptians that introduced the concept. The most popular one is probably the sun clock where the shadow made by the sun is used to judge what time of day it is. You’ve probably heard of them before as “obelisks”.

But what happens if the sun is gone? That’s where the water clock comes in. The Ancient Egyptians created them to tell time at night. It works like an hourglass where water drips down at a predictable rate and time is told depending on the level of liquid. The invention of the clock also gave way to other inventions such as the 365-day calendar we use today and even the concept of leap years!

The concept of clocks also helped largely with the classification of seasons. Remember how important the Nile River is? Well, the conceptualization of “time” helped Egyptians plot when flood season is coming, when drought will most likely happen, when is the time to harvest, and when they should start planting crops.

Of course, those aren’t the only inventions that emerged out of Egypt and contributed to society. Those mentioned are basically the product of ancient Egypt but even many inventions today still come from the Egypt.

Oh, sorry, I didn't study my history that well...I didn't know we brought Egyptians across the ocean in chains..

Ok...I'm done...you are off topic and way out of the perimeters of the Rules of the Forum with your Race Baiting.

• Like 2