Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Occum's Razor = some Crop Circles are 'real'

laver

'aliens are leaving behind symbols or doing things to get our attention" mentality is an odd one

Not really so odd. Strange designs appear in our fields some appear to be not manmade so it is quite logical to question where they came from and if there may be any message in these designs which there appears to be and related to geometry and mathematics. Just to ignore them would not be logical for many humans or perhaps a very wise thing to do !

'aliens are leaving behind symbols or doing things to get our attention" mentality is an odd one

Not really so odd. Strange designs appear in our fields some appear to be not manmade so it is quite logical to question where they came from and if there may be any message in these designs which there appears to be and related to geometry and mathematics. Just to ignore them would not be logical for many humans or perhaps a very wise thing to do !

Not thinking they are an attempt to converse with the people here is not ignoring or discounting the possibility that symbols have been left by an unearthly source. It's just far less human-centric.

Your missing the point to these circles,Its the Warm beer`s and tromping around in the fields late at night ! ITs why they all are in a spiral form,This is what the warm Ale`s do to ones center of gravity !

• Like 2

Not thinking they are an attempt to converse with the people here is not ignoring or discounting the possibility that symbols have been left by an unearthly source. It's just far less human-centric.

Who are we to reason WHY.... but many people do, thats human nature

Your missing the point to these circles,Its the Warm beer`s and tromping around in the fields late at night ! ITs why they all are in a spiral form,This is what the warm Ale`s do to ones center of gravity !

But many are very clever creations, obviously not the work of an out of pub crew !

But many are very clever creations, obviously not the work of an out of pub crew !

I find your constant insinuations that intelligent people don't congregate in pubs and come up with insane ideas insulting.

• Like 2

No references seemed necessary it has been known for years

This is looking at the very important matter of crop designs from a rather different angle

The science world looking for some possible human reason for the microwave evidence

came up with the idea, unsubstantiated, that the crop circle makers are using some sort of a ray gun

to create the designs. This is so implausable that on the basis of Occum's Razor non human creation

is clearly a winner

My friend, dont waste your time trying to make a valid point into these people. 90% of the users on this forum are debunkers that dont care if there is something real or not behind the subject. They will just deny it no matter what, they wont even bother to look at the hundreds of facts. They just dont care, they are here to make fun and joke about it.

Im not saying 90% of the people in the world are like that, just 90% of the users who still post here are. Why?, because people who believe or who actually take their time to read and/or investigate about this subject, no longer post here, because this forum has turned into a "lets make fun of the subject and at the opening poster with silly lame jokes and laugh together about it".

I suggest to save your energies on doing more research (like you have) about the subject and share it with people you know or people who might want to know more about it. But this forum has lost its purpose a loooong time ago. I rarely log in anymore, I just check this forum once every 3 or 4 months or so and everytime it gets worse and worse with the debunkers plaguing the forum with lame jokes and nothing interesting.

Good luck my friend.

Edited by Banser

My friend, dont waste your time trying to make a valid point into these people. 90% of the users on this forum are debunkers that dont care if there is something real or not behind the subject. They will just deny it no matter what, they wont even bother to look at the hundreds of facts. They just dont care, they are here to make fun and joke about it.

Im not saying 90% of the people in the world are like that, just 90% of the users who still post here are. Why?, because people who believe or who actually take their time to read and/or investigate about this subject, no longer post here, because this forum has turned into a "lets make fun of the subject and at the opening poster with silly lame jokes and laugh together about it".

I suggest to save your energies on doing more research (like you have) about the subject and share it with people you know or people who might want to know more about it. But this forum has lost its purpose a loooong time ago. I rarely log in anymore, I just check this forum once every 3 or 4 months or so and everytime it gets worse and worse with the debunkers plaguing the forum with lame jokes and nothing interesting.

Good luck my friend.

Maybe in 3 or 4 months you might be able to share something relevant instead of playing the martyr card, it's getting rather worn and frayed about the edges as it is. There is not a single piece of evidence that suggests unequivocally that crop circles are the work of extraterrestrial. Not one. If you think you have come across something that changes that then by all means, share.

• Like 2

Maybe in 3 or 4 months you might be able to share something relevant instead of playing the martyr card, it's getting rather worn and frayed about the edges as it is. There is not a single piece of evidence that suggests unequivocally that crop circles are the work of extraterrestrial. Not one. If you think you have come across something that changes that then by all means, share.

This should be interesting....... or not. :D

I find your constant insinuations that intelligent people don't congregate in pubs and come up with insane ideas insulting.

Insane ideas..yes. But a night in the pub is not usually conducive to then driving out into the countryside on a maybe cold, wet night to set out and create a complex design in the dark and without leaving evidence that you have been there; a design that has geometric and math messages and no mistakes? Not a very likely scenario it would seem !

Some designs are clearly an apres pub job and stand out a mile

Banser, for all his "meh, they disagree with me, they're idiots" attitude does strike a good point.

He wants tou to present your evidence too. W "idiots" have been asking much the same since day one.

Good luck my friend.

Debunkers..yes loads but useful in trying to work out where they can possibly be coming from. Have they ever looked up into the night sky on a clear night and been in awe of the universe and wondered at the insigificance of our little planet and the life that is on it? What's it all about? Is there any meaning in it all? Are we alone in this great creation? Did people thousands of years ago have a better understanding than we do today? etc etc....

Yet, said "debunkers" are the ones bringing facts to the table to discuss. Have you ever thought about that it is only bunk that can be debunked?

I would beg to differ. Frankly, a lot of bunk is being posted and some of us that have been around for a while (well, speaking for myself only) tend to get a little wary of seeing the same being posted over and over.

I completely disagree. If you have a theory, why not post it here? You can easily bypass posters making fun of the subject. Grab the posts that actually deal in facts and address them. If they can be satisfactorily counter-addressed it is great and if not then I would revisit my theory to revise it. Use the feedback instead of complaining about it.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

If all the crop designs are manmade the hoaxers will eventually get bored or too old to play the game or die off and the phenomena will then die out.

If some designs are not manmade they will continue as they must be there for a reason and we will eventually find out why.

At present, after many years, they are going strong....

Yes, just like it happened with art.

Creating them with people takes math and geometry?

Yes... but what's the point ?

And the point of Aliens crossing space to pee in the snow is..............???????????

Man climbed Everest "because it is there"

Do you think invoking Aliens comes with magical technology that makes your idea reality? Why did man do rock paintings? Not necessary to survive is it? What's the point?

Crop circles as pure art? That would certainly solve the problem of why they're made, regardless of who, or what, made them. That wouldn't be such a bad thing for visiting extraterrestrials to present us with, either. Far better that than some technological wonder, which we might turn into a weapon!

Some of the crop circles also embody truly novel geometrical concepts. This looks like a new artistic movement, at least. Maybe a look at an entirely different culture, which knows no boundaries between the analytic and the esthetic.

But cannot get the crap right. The Arecibo answer you had been banging on about earlier has mistakes in it.

Not sure how you find art as another shoe horn for ET, because we do art too. It is not more likely someone crossed space to do what we can.

How come all the "mathematical theorems" encoded in cereals are known to man theorems? No "proof of Fermats last theory" in wheat etc.

How come all the "mathematical theorems" encoded in cereals are known to man theorems? No "proof of Fermats last theory" in wheat etc.

That's a very good point. Why don't we see some sort of mathematical formula that we don't already know about? Not that it would be required however it would significantly support an alien intelligence hypothesis.

That's a very good point. Why don't we see some sort of mathematical formula that we don't already know about? Not that it would be required however it would significantly support an alien intelligence hypothesis.

I bet the answer is going to be "maybe they already have and we don't understand what's been written". Which is cobblers frankly. If there is mathematics encoded in the cereal graffiti then people who've studied the graffiti would be able to see it, even if it's COMPLEX mathematics, mathematics that's beyond their understanding is still mathematics and mathematics is a universal language.

• Like 1

Is it true that more intricate CCs occurred around the same time as the popularity of home computers?

Just speculating and I found this article from Popular Science.

(found at bottom in response to main article.)

circlemaker John Lundberg:

"In the field, we use very low tech equipment, surveyor's tapes for the measurements and a device called a 'stalk stomper' to flatten the crop. The stalk stomper is a 4-foot-long piece of wood with two holes drilled at each end. A piece of rope (approximately 8 feet long) is looped through the holes at each end and tied. To use the stalk stomper, you place your foot in the middle of the plank of wood and hold the rope in your hands like horse reins, then you step forward with the foot that is on the plank to flatten the crop.

I can assure you we've never superheated any crop stalks. If such things are allegedly found in crop circles, they are either present already and unrelated to the creation of the crop circle, or more likely it's just bad data based on bogus science.

The only technology I use is computer software to design the crop circle construction diagrams that we take into the field with us. I use the type of software an architect would use to design the floor-plan of a building.

I create a series of construction diagrams that lay out the construction sequence and all the geometry and measurements we need to create the crop circle. Most crop circle designs are symmetrical, as it enables you to efficiently create a very complex looking design with a relatively simple set of instructions that repeat. Asymmetrical designs are far more complex and time-consuming to create, which is why you don't really see many asymmetrical crop circles."

Edited by HDesiato

I bet the answer is going to be "maybe they already have and we don't understand what's been written". Which is cobblers frankly. If there is mathematics encoded in the cereal graffiti then people who've studied the graffiti would be able to see it, even if it's COMPLEX mathematics, mathematics that's beyond their understanding is still mathematics and mathematics is a universal language.

It is not 'cobblers'. There are many people looking at these designs as they appear and trying to interpret what they may mean. It took a while before someone twigged the famous Pi crop circle meaning which is clear only when you know the answer.

fermats last theorem was cracked a couple of years ago by andrew wiles......

Edited by shrooma

The links to very ancient sites in Wiltshire is quite strong there are clear indications that human developement has had external influence in the distant past which is supported by myth and legend.

'clear indications'?

'supported by myth and legend'?

laver, you can't just make statements like that without offering something to back up your claim, without proof, without evidence, you should be aware of that.

what you believe is irrelevant, this is an unexplained mysteries website (the clue is in the name), where people are trying to understand, make sense of, and explain said mysteries, not make wild, unfounded claims on behalf of their belief, this isn't isgodreal.com man, you need to be able to back up your claim or you'll just get laughed off the board i'm afraid!

(also, avebury and stonehenge aren't 'very ancient', they were some of the last monuments built, there are ones far older in cornwall, cumbria, scotland, yorkshire, but they're not what you'd call hotbeds of crop circle activity are they?)

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

... this is an unexplained mysteries website (the clue is in the name), where people are trying to understand, make sense of, and explain said mysteries, not make wild, unfounded claims on behalf of their belief...

Actually, it is the latter as much as the former. The site name isn't solely an invitation to explain or make sense of the unexplained. This would be an entirely different (and far less interesting) site if so.

What someone believes is rarely irrelevant or unimportant. It's just not following your way of looking at life.

If he is laughed off the board, it will be by very rude/insecure people who likely aren't worth his pleasant and even tempered (in the face of opposing opinion) company. But no laughing off the board will take place from this thread, as long as both sides understand that the unexplained means just that.

If he is laughed off the board, it will be by very rude/insecure people who likely aren't worth his pleasant and even tempered (in the face of opposing opinion) company. But no laughing off the board will take place from this thread, as long as both sides understand that the unexplained means just that.

'laughed off the board' is a turn of phrase, one you must've heard before.

everything else was literal.

you can't go around making wildly inaccurate statements and claim them as truths without something to back them up.

Edited by shrooma