Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Other side of gun ownership

Lilly

None of this matters since we'll soon be able to print out our own at home!!!

icon1.gifThe end of gun control, or anarchy? See the chilling possibilities of 3d printed guns

“America, is this guy a hero or a villain?”

That was one of the questions asked by Glenn Beck during a fascinating and potentially frightening interview with Cody Wilson of Defense Distributed, The WikiWeapons Project. If you are not familiar with them, Wilson’s group claims to be “A non-profit collaborative project to create freely available plans for printable 3D guns.”

In a segment during Beck’s TV program about The Singularity, a technology-evolutionary jump, Wilson was talking about his success in using 3D printers to actually make plastic guns. (Cody Wilson has actually fired these printed components — see video below.) Beck also showed a functional, high-capacity magazine that was made by the WikiWeapons project using a 3D prin

While it is illegal to print an entire gun, parts can be printed and guns assembled with relative ease. Cody Wilson explained to Beck that the file for the high-capacity magazine has been downloaded more that 150,000 times since President Obama’s announcement of his Executive Orders on limiting guns.

The cost of creating weapons in your own home is coming down very rapidly. Just as with any technology, as it becomes more popular, the price to own it drops exponentially. Both host and guest agree that 3D printers will soon be as cheap to own and operate as ink-jet printers are today.

Is the 3D printer a “game changer” in the gun control debate? Would access to this technology create more bad than good?

Watch the fascinating back and forth between Beck and Wilson on the possibilities (both good and bad) created by the use of 3D printers to make real guns here: http://www.theblaze.....-printed-guns/

3D printed mag demo[media=]

[/media]

Ban printers!!!

Those 3d printers are going to be amazing in so many ways. I'm not sure how a plastic gun can actually withstand the explosions but they can certainly make great molds for anyone knowledgable enough to use them to form metal. I know that process takes more patience than knowledge. How many have lost or broke the snap case on the back of a remote that holds your batteries. Custom tools, faceplates for outlets, keys, decorations, any number of auto parts like clips and fasteners. It's endless. And yes, weapons. Beck is right about one thing. The Feds will try their asses off to regulate the hell out of 3d printers and files. Good luck. Oh, and before the greenies start getting too crazy about the plastics involved, and they will, I have heard these printers produce zero waste. Rather than carving outside in from a block, they will actually build models from the inside out. Generative instead of degenerative, I think.

Oh and Hernibs, your points are entirely valid but your scenarios are extremely far fetched.

I have a few thought on the subject:

Obama needs to send any legislation through the proper channels and quit using this executive order crap. That holds true for any president in my opinion. Never liked it. But it seems much more prevelent with Obama.

I'm not opposed to having certain teachers equiped with guns.

1 - They need to go through a phsyc evaluation.

2 - They need to go through training.

3 - Since an alternative is to hire an armed security guard, having a teacher armed instead will keep more teachers employed in the school. Schools are on limited budgets and would not be able to afford to keep all the current teachers plus an additional guard.

4 - Using the Sandy Hook example, the shooter was an obvious coward. He went to kill young kids and killed himself before he had to take accountability for his actions. I have to think that such a coward would not have entered the school had he know there were armed teachers in there.

I think 2 armed teachers who's identity is kept under wraps could be beneficial.

• Like 1

I have a few thought on the subject:

Obama needs to send any legislation through the proper channels and quit using this executive order crap. That holds true for any president in my opinion. Never liked it. But it seems much more prevelent with Obama.

I'm not opposed to having certain teachers equiped with guns.

1 - They need to go through a phsyc evaluation.

2 - They need to go through training.

3 - Since an alternative is to hire an armed security guard, having a teacher armed instead will keep more teachers employed in the school. Schools are on limited budgets and would not be able to afford to keep all the current teachers plus an additional guard.

4 - Using the Sandy Hook example, the shooter was an obvious coward. He went to kill young kids and killed himself before he had to take accountability for his actions. I have to think that such a coward would not have entered the school had he know there were armed teachers in there.

I think 2 armed teachers who's identity is kept under wraps could be beneficial.

Dude I said the exact same thing a while back to a tee including anonymity except to maybe the principal and the school board. And it would have to be purely voluntary.

I don't trust the 3D printers too much for gun parts. Granted we have been printing for three years so we don't have the newest or best printer, but even with a great printer and appropriate plastic I'm still pretty darn leery. I most certainly wouldn't use a printed part that gets a lot of pressure put onto it.

I guess you could print out a part and use it for a cold processing mold, but the plastic melts at around 240 degrees, so you would have to be careful. You can't really use ceramic extrusion because ceramic just does not get the detail that plastic does.

Now granted, one of those really nice new metal 3D printers could probably stand up, but gah, those are really expensive. The newest model of Makerbot runs 2,500 bucks, though if you are handy, you can get the parts and build a reprap for around 500. And Materbot does not do metal.

And just as info... Yes, they make waste. If a print goes wrong, scrap. If your temp regulator isn't working right, or your print head gets gunked, scrap. There usually is tail end filament scrap. Quite often you print things out on rafts, and those get removed after printing, sometimes depending on the "overhang" or interlattice of an item, there are printed out supports that must be removed. Most of the time if you have details, you get some sort of cleanup needed- particularly holes depending on which direction the object is printed out. Ugh, I have cleaned up a lot of printed parts.

But I heard just this morning about a bloke that has done up a kickstarter project of a device that takes the scrap and remelts and reforms it back into filament, so that's kind of nice.

3D printers are wonderful, but they aren't quite weapon producing awesome yet.

Obama needs to send any legislation through the proper channels and quit using this executive order crap.

he did. And btw which executive orders are you opposed to?

Dude I said the exact same thing a while back to a tee including anonymity except to maybe the principal and the school board. And it would have to be purely voluntary.

Then we are on the same page. Hope you weren't throwing a jab at me. Sometimes if a thread is over 20+ pages long I won't read every page. Takes too long.

why would you need a printer to print guns? are lathes and milling machines banned too?

The 3D printers will be very popular during any awb. By the time were a couple years in the tech will get very advanced in this new field. I imagine we will be printing mortars and heavier parts by then.

Good for her. Using a gun for self defense is a god given right. Either from foreign or domestic. What the constitution is about!

Then we are on the same page. Hope you weren't throwing a jab at me. Sometimes if a thread is over 20+ pages long I won't read every page. Takes too long.

No jab. I really did in a different thread a few weeks back.

Here, I found it..

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=239299&st=480

Hey guys, sorry to stir it up a bit about fingerprint tech built into triggers. Was only trying a suggestion as per the point of this thread.

I also like the suggestion of teachers having guns in schools. Not mandatory though. They aren't police and shouldn't be expected to be heroes. However, on a voluntary basis I think that if allowed, in most every school there would be at least a few teachers who would volunteer to go through proper training to be permitted to act as emergency security. A battery of psyche tests to assure no loose cannon teachers can further participate and training similar to standard police procedures for these types of situations followed by official certification and perhaps some monetary benefit. Also, it should be fully anonymous between the volunteers and the heads of the school districts. I think the volunteers should know about each other in the case of emergency coordination. That alone would prevent many future perpetrators from entering a school knowing that somebody but not exactly who is packing heat with their name on it.

:unsure2: It's a poll, not an election. LOL

Right, a poll - of a limited amount of people - not the entire populace. Meaning, poll statistics are irrelevant. Get it now?

The CNN poll used 814 adults. That's a very insignificant amount.

The ABC poll used 1001 adults. Yet another very insignificant amount.

People that base their BS off of "poll data" really need to understand this 1 basic truth - the poll numbers do NOT represent the views of the entire populace.

So, you want to prove your argument, use some actual facts, and not skewed "data" from limited polls.

Edited by MstrMsn
  • Like 1

Actually I dont really disagree with the class thing. But a 2 hour class does not give one experience with firearms as Im certain you know. I know this doesnt support my opinion on altering the 2nd Amendment but Ill post it anyways to show how inadequate classes can be in the bigger picture. I guess then yopu have to ask what scenario are you training these people for. Home defense ? Self Protection ? Firearm safety ? CWP ? All of the above...Do you have to do multiple classes....Its good in theory but I see where some classes would be woefully inadequate if not misinformative and others would be costly and then yet others would be fine examples of the "class training" you mention.

My view comes from living in rural America. Ive had deer get caught in fencline that had to be put down. Ive had cougar attack livestock and Ive got quite a nice herd of deer that like to migrate through apple orchard. Although I dont hunt them because Oregon deer are beautiful and its a small herd. In my life a gun is a tool to help maintain the land I live on and several neighbors I help out as well. It doesnt leave my property. Id be just as vocal if someone wanted to take my only beehive away too.

Why only a 2 hour class?

As far as which class, it should be firearms safety. All the other stuff (home defense, armed self defense, etc) vary among those that teach it, as they have different views as to what works better - or has worked for them. However, basic firearms safety is pretty much a set standard, with few variations.

In my state I don't need anything to buy or sell to an individual. I don't have to register or anything else.

So if everyone who ever touched the gun admits it to the police then great, it can be traced. If I bought it from some guy at a garage sale and we have no idea who each other are, then tracing it might be tough.

CSI can tell you what kind of gun a bullet came from but always where the gun came from.

Personally, we DO NOT sell our weapons to anyone and if we purchase a weapon from an individual we get a copy of their driver's license. We also have provided a list of our weapons and serial numbers to the Sheriff (who didn't really want them) for insurance purposes.

IMO if everyone registering their guns and having to do background checks for even personal sales and it takes ONE gun away from a loon, then it's worth it.

I'm not saying that anything they are instituting or want to institute is a good idea or will solve all the problems but even solving one tiny problem would be great.

Nibs

This last part... this is the key...

These "laws" that they want to do, will not even do this. We have enough retarded firearms laws already on the books. There are only 2 things that need to happen: 1, actually ENFORCE those laws and 2, stop cutting deals with the criminals they arrest, hoping that they will catch the "bigger fish" (when it never happens).

• Like 2