Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Render

Half of all food thrown away, report claims

5 posts in this topic

Up to half of all the food produced in the world—two billion tonnes of it—is thrown away, according to a report published on Thursday. The waste is caused by poor infrastructure and storage facilities in the developing world, and "buy-one-get-one-free" offers, and the fussiness of consumers in the developed world, the report by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers said. Every year, four billion tonnes of food is produced, but between 30 percent and 50 percent is never consumed, according to the report entitled "Global Food; Waste Not, Want Not".

http://phys.org/news...ood-thrown.html

There is no overpopulation or shortage of food .. It all comes down to poor infrastructure.

I never understood not selling an apple or squash, etc, because it is "mishappen". Scabby apples are the best! The scabs, etc, cause them to be sweeter! :w00t: And all these people who complain "oh, this is mishapen, or oh, the bread is a bit stale, etc", never knew anyone who was sent to Russia as slave labour (or had similar personal experiences in other countries). Whenever my grandfather ever heard anyone complaining about food (assuming it hadn't truly spoiled of course), he would also reply: "You don't like the food, go to Siberia for three years. When you come back, you'll never complain again."

Sadly, most people don't know what it is like to be truly hungry :no:

Not only that,numerous entities ,throw away tons of perfectly good food ,yearly.

In nyc ,the dept of education ,throws away ALL left over lunch and breakfast foods,daily .

This would be for kindergarden thru senior high school age .

It's not a law here,but the dept ed has some bizarre strict rule about it.

A couple of my friends are teachers ,and the complain about this a lot.

That numerous homeless could be fed with the food schools throw away,for no other reason than it wasn't consumed .

1 person likes this

I try to eat all my food. Its the least I can do. I just wish more got to where its needed and people are starving.

2 people like this

When lunch is over they should refrigerate the leftovers and let the kids eat again after school or let them take it home with them or donate it to the local soup kitchen for the homeless.

I throw very little food away and when I do an animal eats it so its not wasted I feel as long as a life consumes it.