Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Largest structure in the universe discovered

Waspie_Dwarf

that did cross my mind, surely the largest structure out there is the Universe itself

When some one asks you "what is the largest thing in your house" would it not be illogical to answer "my house"? Since your house is not in your house it can not be the largest thing inside it.

By the same token the universe is not inside the universe so it would be illogical to consider it the largest structure within it.

That cant be the biggest thing in the universe, I would think that there are way bigger things

Having made such a bold statement you will of course be providing us with your observations, empirical evidence or calculations, unless of course you are just making a wild guess.

That is truly transcendental, though I wonder, is it the biggest structure only in -our- universe, or the actual multiverse of which our universe exists. We may not be able to ever travel that distance; however, it is still pretty amazing that we can see via pictures whilst still in bed. To me, that alone says quite a bit of how much we have accomplished.

That is truly transcendental, though I wonder, is it the biggest structure only in -our- universe, or the actual multiverse of which our universe exists. We may not be able to ever travel that distance; however, it is still pretty amazing that we can see via pictures whilst still in bed. To me, that alone says quite a bit of how much we have accomplished.

may I be playful? I sort of understand exactly what you meant by: "I wonder, is it the biggest structure only in -our- universe, or the actual multiverse of which our universe exists."

There is no actual multiverse tho, is there? Its just a theory! But please I am playing - and know what you meant.. sort of.. but so far as the news is concerned, yeh its the biggest 'so far'..

Super article, Waspie, keep em comin.

The Milky Way is 100,000 light years in diameter. 4 billion light years in diameter is 4,000 times the diameter of the Milky Way. Would that equal to about 4 million times the mass of the milky way?

There are 100 Billion stars in the Milky Way and there are 100 billion galaxies in our visible universe. That makes at a minimum 200 Billion points of light surrounding us. We have only begun to study some of the more interesting points of light and this point of light revealed a massive cluster. It will take humans thousands of years to completely map and survey the universe. We have just stumbled onto a large entity...I am sure there will be discovering other things out there that are much more massive.

There are 100 Billion stars in the Milky Way and there are 100 billion galaxies in our visible universe. That makes at a minimum 200 Billion points of light surrounding us...

I know that (until lately) galaxies appear to us as a single source of light. But allow me to throw out a mind boggling number...

There's at least a 100 billion stars in the Milky Way (given that it's an average galaxy) and there are at least a 100 billion galaxies, then there's perhaps 100 billion X 100 billion stars.

Or 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (10 sextillion)stars.

Are there enough grains of sand on all the beaches to equal that number?

Edited by Likely Guy

There's at least a 100 billion stars in the Milky Way (and given that it's an average galaxy) and there are at least a 100 billion galaxies, then there's perhaps 100 billion X 100 billion stars.

Or 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars.

what will that look like in pennies? seriously?

Edited by seeder

what will that look like in pennies? seriously?

A penny, for the sake of argument, weighs 2.5 grams. If we assign one gram of penny per star, that would be 25,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms of pennies. Or 27.5 trillion tons of pennies.

Can someone check my math?, my '0' is almost broken. :)

• Like 1

A penny, for the sake of argument, weighs 2.5 grams. If we assign one gram of penny per star, that would be 25,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms of pennies. Or 27.5 trillion tons of pennies.

wow thats a lot thanks! Got an idea how many trucks that will fill? even average ones?

wow thats a lot thanks! Got an idea how many trucks that will fill? even average ones?

Over 183 billion tandem dump trucks. Remember, 1 gram of penny / star or 2.5 stars / penny.

Edit: someone should check my math!

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

When some one asks you "what is the largest thing in your house" would it not be illogical to answer "my house"? Since your house is not in your house it can not be the largest thing inside it.

By the same token the universe is not inside the universe so it would be illogical to consider it the largest structure within it.

good point, taken.

as for the Universe, when we say Universe, we mean and beyond? if there is a beyond or is the Universe absolutely everything and beyond..

I know what i am trying to say, but it still does not seem to type out right. :unsure2:

can`t do the maths, but maybe the U.S. Treasury can make a coin to depict it.

• Like 2

Over 183 billion tandem dump trucks. Remember, 1 gram of penny / star or 2.5 stars / penny.

Edit: someone should check my math!

I just did some mental arithmetic and you are in fact out by, 22 pence. :w00t:

(Great work, thanks!) :tu:

• Like 2

Having made such a bold statement you will of course be providing us with your observations, empirical evidence or calculations, unless of course you are just making a wild guess.

WOW guy, I said I would think theres something bigger, Meaning I DONT know. But I guess if you say that this structure is the biggest in the entire universe ill believe it

But I guess if you say that this structure is the biggest in the entire universe ill believe it

I didn't say that it was the largest, nor did I say it wasn't. I don't make statements based on pure guesses.

• Like 1

It's great what we can now see and measure such unimaginably large things ! I'm guessing that even larger 'things' will be found. :)

It's great what we can now see and measure such unimaginably large things ! I'm guessing that even larger 'things' will be found. :)

Thats all I was trying to say.

• Like 2

Like Waspy channels in his signature, via Douglas Adams; "Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big."

All my favourite authors are dead. :(

Kurt Vonnegut said, "The bounties of space, of infinite outwardness, were three: empty heroics, low comedy, and pointless death."

Hunter S. Thompson: "...and there I'd be, sitting in the front seat, stark naked, with a case of whiskey next to me and a case of dynamite in the trunk... honking the horn, and the lights on, and just sit there in space for an instant."

:)

Edited by Likely Guy

I just went out to lock the chickens in their coop...and I looked up into the clear dark sky with the Milky Way in all of its splendor...and I'm thinking...it just goes on forever...

...and then I come into my office and read this...and as always...I am in total awe of the magnitude of it all...

I just went out to lock the chickens in their coop...and I looked up into the clear dark sky with the Milky Way in all of its splendor...and I'm thinking...it just goes on forever...

...and then I come into my office and read this...and as always...I am in total awe of the magnitude of it all...

Joc,I don't want to sound trite, but I wonder if your chickens look up sometimes and wonder as well. :)

• Like 1

Joc,I don't want to sound trite, but I wonder if your chickens look up sometimes and wonder as well. :)

i have wondered this, (not about Joc`s chickens), but about animals in general.....do they look up at the sky and wonder or do they just concentrate on the natural world surrounding them on Earth only?

I seriously doubt it...chickens don't 'wonder' about anything...they don't even wonder whether the styra-foam they are eating is edible...and...just before it gets dark they all go inside their coop which is a 4' x 4' cube...they never see the night sky.

i have wondered this, (not about Joc`s chickens), but about animals in general.....do they look up at the sky and wonder or do they just concentrate on the natural world surrounding them on Earth only?

We have a lot of coyotes and they howl at the moon...or at least I think they do...interesting question that I too have pondered.

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

do they look up at the sky and wonder or do they just concentrate on the natural world surrounding them on Earth only?

Many birds have been shown to be capable of navigating by the stars but what goes on in their mind is a mystery to all except them.

• Like 2