Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Taking a Bigfoot alive.

keninsc

It can, but that's a function of how violent the captured animal becomes once the trap has him. The biggest issue is blood circulation which is why when you set a trap you have to check it frequently and yes there is a possibility of the trapped animal chewing off a limb as well to consider. There isn't a good way to ensure 100% that you'll not make something like a Bigfoot a cripple, the looped snare is probably the best possibility. Now if one is willing to make a couple of assumptions you could make a stop so the snare proper doesn't cinch but so tight, but I have no idea what the ankle size of a Bigfoot would be.

I just think that advocating the shoot of a Bigfoot outright should only be undertaken when you've at least considered the possibility of a live capture. It's a Karma thing with me, and after thinking about it a bit and contemplating the deeper and ethical sides I thought I should at least give is some serious consideration. Goodness knows I've done enough killing in my life so getting input on something other than a lethal approach is a good thing I think.

Of course, there is still the issue of getting a Bigfoot to get itself caught to begin with and then getting it in a state for transport to a scientific facility......preferably without getting my own arms and legs ripped off or any members of any team I might be part of as well. That's pretty negative too.

Even if BF chewed off his foot, you'd have a heck of a large foot to show people. :tu:

Probably BF would take his foot with him, leaving a trail of bloody circles in the dirt and snow, where his foot used to be. He'd then bury his foot in the Rainbow Valley of Eternal Squatchyness, where all BF bones end up.

• Like 2

Even if BF chewed off his foot, you'd have a heck of a large foot to show people. :tu:

Probably BF would take his foot with him, leaving a trail of bloody circles in the dirt and snow, where his foot used to be. He'd then bury his foot in the Rainbow Valley of Eternal Squatchyness, where all BF bones end up.

Hahaha! But at least you'd have blood and hair and skin bits to send off to Kelba Metchum. Oh, _______! I forgot about the MIB Bigfoot Clean Up Crews!

In reality, any mentioned capture method should work, as they have/do for any other natural animal.

The problem is when you are talking about an animal that isn't natural. Even when trying, it's impossible to cover all the bases.

For example, remember his friends who'll be lurking about nearby with stuff like bulldozers (borrowed from loggers), Craftsman tools, hyperdecomposition spray, and contact with the Mother Ship!

Edited by QuiteContrary

Sakari: I don't know if I'd call 911, odds are the police aren't going to be in a huge hurry to answer a Bigfoot call in the middle of nowhere. Just saying, and then you'd be out before you could get the critter to real scientist. If I were going to do this I might hook up with a local Vet who'd be willing to dart the creature enough so that we could secure it safely alive for transport. I suddenly got a visual of Hannibal Lecture on his transport cart.

Diechecker: That might be a way to go. I'll have to check and see what's available commercially. I might have to make some modifications myself but fortunately I'm an engineer so that's right up my ally.

QC: God in Heaven girl, what am I going to do with you?

:w00t:

I figured someone has to answer a 911 call, and when they show up, all hell breaks loose.....Phone calls, radio dispatch, etc...

True enough they will answer them, trouble is whether or not they respond to it or not. They might just chalk it up to a crank call, they get an awful lot of those.

I've been doing some internet research on snares and as I suspected most snares are designed around common animals. The heaviest built one is for snaring hogs and only has a 1/8 " wire rope. Looks like if I do this I'm going to have to devote some time to building my own Bigfoot snare. I can easily design one that won't allow the snare to cinch up beyond a certain point, that I can do with a simple and commercially available crimped on stop. The trick is designing a slip device that locks and can hold on fast. Worse case scenario is I'll have to cut the snare off the Biggy's leg, which can be done with bolt cutters really.

It just has to be designed so that a monkey or primate can't get it off, most snares are for catching things that don't have opposable thumbs or hands for that matter.

Hahaha! But at least you'd have blood and hair and skin bits to send off to Kelba Metchum. Oh, _______! I forgot about the MIB Bigfoot Clean Up Crews!

Not to mention the porcipines. Apparently they serve some kind of a clean up function with the bigfoots.

It could be made to work, but the effort would be Tremendous. Most BF hunters out "Squatching" aren't going to put a hundreth of that much effort into a trap.

Off topic and probably said but doesn't the term 'squatch' or 'squatching' sound disturbingly like something involving too much alcohol, jerky, sliders, spicy food and perhaps driving on a very washboarded dirt road, recklessly, and those effects the morning after, but preferably at home, and in the loo (but even then VERY unpleasant)?

On topic..... You would have to go with something that would fall over a Bigfoot since most evidence makes it clear that they use a hopping type locomotion (one, and maybe two footprints and no more). It would have to be big and heavy since the force required to leap so far would extreme being 6 to 9 feet tall and weighing so much. :whistle:

I thought about that as well, the problem with drop nets is that they have to drop and that takes time and once it's down a creature, any creature really, can easily get out from under it unless you try using some sort of dead weight cinching device. Trouble is with all that is it take a lot of time and effort and the more you have to do the more you're going to disturb the surroundings and the more you're going to make it less likely to have a Bigfoot come in to your trap.

Hmmmmm?

I've been doing some checking, it seems that 1/8" wire rope cable has a breaking strength of 1700 lbs and capture hardware is readily available. !/8" is what is recommended for catching bears Black and Grizzly. Trick is none of the hardware is designed to prevent anything like a primate from releasing themselves. Looks like 1/4" migh be the way to go but I'll need to make up my own hardware.

Something else to consider when trapping a bigfoot, if a trap is not somehow bigfoot specific, how many other animals which are much more abundant (and of lower intelligence?) will you be catching instead?

You may have to go through a lot of deer or elk or even bear before one bigfoot.

This would put a damper on your spirit and try patience, energy, time, money.. and possibly traps, imo

That's the point of putting a fixed stop on the snare and putting it down low. The idea would be to snare a Bigfoot, which is a rather large beasty and very strong. The snare noose would be large enough that small game could pass threw, low enough things like deer, elk and bears wouldn't get caught and yet be effective to capture a Bigfoot. However, due to my own humanitarian thinking, I don't want to injure the creature more than I'd need to, so making it the way I have in mind would be to trap it but not allow it to escape or take the darn thing off once it was caught.

That's the theory anyway. I might be pumping sunshine up my skirt, but it's my skirt......so?

I know it seems like a waste of time, however if I were to encounter a Bigfoot and shot it outright without taking at least some time to try and figure out some way to take the thing alive then I'd regret it the rest of my life. And I hate regrets and already have too many of them.

Edited by keninsc

I don't know ol pal. Can't seem to be able to wrap my noggin around how one could be captured alive. Seems like it would put up a good fuss no matter.

Just have a recovery plan if you manage to shoot one.

So why would you want to use tasers over tranquilizer guns? Once you stop the current from the taser bigfoot will be right back in action and very very angry! Not to mention bigfoot's hairy hide might be too thick for the taser to even penetrate and you would be up a creek without a paddle then.

What if bigfoot reacts like this guy:

I sure wouldn't want bigfoot making threats to me, but I think tranquilizing bigfoot would be a much better option. Once he is knocked out he stays knocked out for awhile. Once he is sleeping like a baby he will be easy to transport and get restraints on, well as easy as moving 800 lbs of dead weight can be.

We've already touched on why tranquing a Bigfoot might be an issue. The problem with Tazers is pretty much what this video shows, and I have no idea what you'd have to crank one up to in order to subdue a Bigfoot.......assuming Bigfoot are 1) real and 2) close enough to use one on them.

Sadly, in the end, shooting one and then pulling the body out might be the only realistic solution. However, I'll keep working on the idea of the leg snare, of all the ones discussed that's the only one that seems to offer some possibilities. Of course, the other side of the coin is getting a really p***ed off live Bigfoot back for scientific evaluation. Telepathy, odor, feces, the Bigfoot Body Recovery Team and the droves of Porcupines coming in will make it tough.

the droves of Porcupines coming in will make it tough.

:tu:

Made me laugh, TY

Maybe the live capture of a bigfoot would not be as violent and dangerous as we all assume. And other, less aggressive methods employed for capture.

No matter how much I'd love a bloodthirsty bigfoot who stalks humans, terrorizing them into insanity!

I still hold more to the assumption that we are dealing with a Gentle Giant. Otherwise, besides not existing :tsu:

explaining a lack of physical encounters...being a non-aggressive, gentle creature would also explain the lack of violent encounters with these creatures leaving human and Foot dead and injured behind.

However, any animal, no matter how gentle of disposition could become very violent if captured, restrained, or in physical pain.

So, I have no point, I guess.

Carry on...

Edited by QuiteContrary

No, you have a point, same point I'm messing around with really and just shooting one outright without taking the time or putting some effort into a live capture is just wrong. Now don't get me wrong, I'm assuming a lot here, one that the creature is real, evidence suggest it's all smoke and mirrors, but then what my friends told me is still present like a spike right threw my head, and I can't just blow that off either. If I see one, then odds are.....if I'm armed, I'll take the shot. However, I'm just as liable to set some traps of my own design in an effort to catch a Biggy.

Hellfire, the video of trying to retrain it for delivery to a scientific facility alone would be worth the effort. It might be funnier than any movie comedy routine.

• 5 months later...

Just shoot the thing for the sake of the species as a whole. Putting it on the map will force the feds to protect it, and might get experts who could catch a live one to start hunting. Killing one to protect the entire species cancels the karma factor in my opinion. It's cold and cruel but would save them.

• Like 2

Just shoot the thing for the sake of the species as a whole. Putting it on the map will force the feds to protect it, and might get experts who could catch a live one to start hunting. Killing one to protect the entire species cancels the karma factor in my opinion. It's cold and cruel but would save them.

I like your signature, Dragon Lover, how true!

• Like 1

Why would the Feds need to put something on the protection list if it has never been found dead or alive, or even fossils?

I think they are and will do just fine without being on an endangered species list......They seem pretty damn safe to me.

That's a simplistic way to look at it and the most likely way I'd deal with it. However I think it would be prudent to consider some alternative possibilities. One of the great things about a place like this is we can share different ideas, no one person can think of everything and my time spent in engineering has taught me the value of having people with whom I can get other perspectives from. You never know who might see the one thing you missed.

I'd personally ditch the tazer thing entirely. One of the many problems is range. Tazers are usually used at ranges of about 20 feet, and maybe 10 seconds worth of juice. Getting that close to a creature this elusive would be rather challenging. Its also safe to assume it can outpace most people carrying gear and a shotgun over uneven ground, partly out of virtue of its longer stride.

I'm also not a fan of tranquilizer. Granted, I'm by no means an expert on the stuff, but I do know you have to get proper dosages made for specific animals based on size, weight, and metabolism. Not enough and it'll keep going, or just be a bit drowsy. Too much and it has the huge risk of having its heart stop. Very small margin for error.

But to contribute something constructive, if one did endeavor to try and catch something like Bigfoot, I'd go for trapping rather than actively running one down. First you'd need something strong enough to withstand several hundred pounds of angry animal, tampering fingers, and subtle enough to not be recognized as a trap. Not easy stuff. Best bet for that would be a cage setup, heavy welding with proper steel. But that is hard to conceal, so perhaps in a deep bush thicket. Or that's what I'd do. Although I admit I'm not terribly familiar with various mechanisms that would close such a cage, so you could go with anything from a pressure plate to a tripwire.

Accessibility is important too. If life is kind and you happen to get something inside, four men with poles probably isn't going to cut it. You'll need to bring a truck and trailer to load the whole thing onto.

To increase chances dramatically, it'd be good to have more than one trap. Perhaps 6 spread over multiple miles of territory. That'd be pricey though. And you'd have to cover a lot of territory to check them all.

I'd also be hairy about the closing mechanisms. I've heard of quite a few animals figuring out how to undo latches and the like. Parrots are well known for this from what I've heard.

Bait to prompt wildlife in depends on a lot. Slightly rank meat would certainly catch on the wind and attract carnivores and omnivores, but depending on individual preference, rank meat might be repulsive. Other foods such as fruits might work, but there's no real way to tell what particular diet something like this prefers. Well, not with any positive certainty.

Also gotta factor in other hungry animals coming in for a snack as well.

I recall hearing about someone else setting up this cage idea, with mixed results. I fondly recall it catching a black bear and a hobo. Hopefully not at the same time, heh.

Just some of my own disjointed thoughts on the matter. Feel free to disagree with me, as that provokes thought. :)

They know to avoid small camouflaged cameras so avoiding large traps may also be in their repertoire.

I'd just poison their Tupperware meal. Take the chance of either rendering them helpless enough to capture or even killing one, for science.

But then again, if they managed to stagger, poisoned, back into the bush, good luck finding it again. They vanish. Probably whisked away by their buddies like a President by Secret Service after a shooting.