Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will space travel make us better people?

Render

Space, also known as The Final Frontier, has been in our collective dreams and fantasies for decades. Who WOULDN'T want to blast into space, experience zero gravity, or walk on the moon?! But with limited funding to NASA, the day that had been promised to us for years (in addition to flying cars and hover boards), seems no closer now than it did 30 years ago. BUT WAIT! Could private research and funding be the future of galactic exploration? And maybe once we are all able to see the earth from a distance, we'll all gain some much needed perspective. So keep on truckin' Elon Musk, for humanity's sake.

• Like 2

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sslama

• Taun

• Professor T

• AsteroidX

I don't see how space travel would make us better people. People are still going to be the way they are no matter where they are at. It could save us all though. Look how over populated the planet is getting and the dwindling natural resources.

I agree with Hilander, people are people and there may be some awe inspiring moments of initial space travel but amazing as that is I think the effects would eventually wear off, and people would go back to behaving as they did on earth...Regardless of what planet there on

Space travel, if any thing, will open up a whole other spectrum of "evils" humanity can commit.

The more options, the more probability of abuse.

No....Mistakes make us better people. Great lessons are learned from experience. I read we are wired to not make the same mistake over and over again. There is a signal from the brain.

"Every failure brings with it the seed of an equivalent success”

I would hope exploring space can make us better as humanity. Im sure if we ever ran into ET out there we would be judged by our actions.

I would say yes, space travel can make us better people because it opens you up to seeing that unified perspective of earth from orbit where there'so nations, no borders, just earth...

Nothing else has... I don't know why that would...

As to easing population pressure on Earth - no it wouldn't... We would need to build many ships capable of transporting TENS OF MILLIONS of people off, in order to make a serious dent in our population... Current estimates are that about 350,000 babies are born EVERY DAY...

Going to other planets and colonizing them would have these effects upon us:

- Spreading our species out so we would be harder to exterminate (by asteroid, solar flare, etc)

- Open up new sources of raw materials - iron, oil, etc

- Resume the fracturing of the human species, through evolutionary changes to alien environments - currently with

global travel the human race is (slowly) beginning to merge toward a species "average" - this would stop that by isolating

pockets of humanity.

- Increase our chances of encountering Non Human intelligent life

- Give us a wider range of potentially beneficial medicinal herbs and minerals

- Expose us to new diseases for which we have no defense... - This one truly scares me, it is the single reason I could see for

stopping colonization...

It's a cycle.....it's a transformation, triggered by the completion of the Great Cycle. Our planet just entered into it's next evolutionary phase....a transition of our world into a new era....the galactic era. I think we will become better people because mankind will unite to solve many of it's problems.

I doubt space travel will make us better. p*** me off and someone will likely and easily cut off air supply to your compartment. Take that!

As humans, our circle of who we give moral consideration to has widened….first the tribe to the nation, then race or ethnic group, then to all humans and finally our animals. I think that’s moral progress but there will always be the bad guy. On the whole we are moving in a positive direction.

The media is so hugely made up of bad news and I think our brains are hard-wired to pick up on that and not notice the good. (If it bleeds, it leads). But if you stand back a bit from all that bad news you can see a trend that is moving in a wonderful direction. So the future is actually better than you think.

It could.

Currently we only allow highly disciplined and skillful people into space. If this trend continued and we colonized space with only people qualified to be out there, I could see us advancing as a much stronger race in space at least.