Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tips for an Aspiring Lucid Dreamer?

Theater of Dreams

Let me start by saying this: I'm sorry if there's already a thread pertaining to this topic. I wasn't able to find one, and thought it would be okay to start a new topic here.

I'm an aspiring lucid dreamer. The thought of achieving omnipotence (or coming as close as possible) just by dreaming as a human being is amazing to me. That being said, I've never, in two years of trying, been able to realize that I'm dreaming whilst in one. I've tried very standard methods, (dream journal, looking at my hands, visualizing what I'd do first, yadda, yadda, yadda) but nothing really seems to work in my case. My dreams are, more often than not, distorted and unclear, and this isn't because I can't remember them; they're just always unclear. Furthermore, I'm something of an insomniac. If it's not a case of being unable to fall asleep, it's a case of being unable to stay asleep.

Annnywho, I'd really like to hear any alternative methods that I could test out. So if you kind people here at UM know of any or could offer advice, I'd be grateful to hear it.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I understand ya. I feel once i gain "Awareness" in my Dreams i actually start to wake up. Like for example I'll be in my Dream and then I'll notice something is off. It just doesn't seem right. That's when i start becoming aware. I remember one night i was actually able to fully control my Dream. But im 50% sure i was partially fully awake if that makes sense. But still Dreaming. Like i knew i was in my Bed, but i was still in my Dream World.

And then the other night i actually gained full 100% Awareness in my Dreams. I used the i will see my Hands Method. I was moving some Boxes around than i noticed something was "off", i saw my Hands in color and i actually woke straight up. I was p***ed. I have no idea what caused me to wake up.

Edited by stevemagegod

Welcome to the forums :),

If you're a drinker, stop cold turkey.

Your dreams will be so lucid that you can touch them, control them and remember them. The mind's a wonderful thing when it reawakens.

Happy dreams,

Likely Guy

I've often wondered that myself! Likely Guy, I fully enjoy a good drink and I find it doesn't affect my dreams much. I would say I have a certain degree of control over my dreams to an extent. The rest for me I would say is like "living a movie I can't control." I would love to know more techniques (besides the bedside dream journal thing) to achieve full lucid dreaming.... :)

• Like 1

I've often wondered that myself! Likely Guy, I fully enjoy a good drink and I find it doesn't affect my dreams much.

Hey Twilight, it's not a method that I'd recommend. 'Theater of Dreams' asked for alternative methods. As a drinker, quitting cold turkey provides lucid, memorable, mostly controllable dreams. Not at all unpleasant, many involved flying.

But you almost have to become a 'drunk', and then quit. Like I said, not a method that I'd recommend. :)

• Like 2

You've probably heard of these but I think the WILD technique is a pretty good way of going lucid. http://www.wikihow.c...cid-Dream-(WILD)

and also the MILD technique http://www.world-of-...cid-dreams.html

Basically its best when you have time to sleep in. So in the mornings, at that time when you just know you'll fall asleep and go straight into a dream, basically keep the thought that you'll know when you're dreaming next time you dream(but dont focus too much that it keeps you awake), I use almost a cross I guess of a MILD and a WILD(probably more MILD as I tend to use my memory to remind me). If you repeat a mantra in your head of "I'll know I'm dreaming next time I dream", then the first thing you tend to think when you dream next is that last thought. But you have to actually mean it with intent and not just think it half hearted.

So think about it during the day lots. The more you think/question if you are dreaming the more you'll do that during a dream as a habit. Then just think "next time I dream I'll know I'm dreaming" as you're falling back to sleep. You can do this when you're first going to sleep but its easier in the mornings because you go into a dream quicker. And if you wake up from a dream(normal or lucid) dont move a single muscle. It helps in going back into the dream faster and even the same dream where you left off(I find anyway).

Also during the day whenever something slightly odd happens use that time to test if you are dreaming(because odd things happen in dreams). So if you go to the beach and you dont often go to the beach, test if you are dreaming.. things like this.

And if you want to actually stay lucid just try stay calm. I used to wake up from the "wow!" but over time that lessens anyway.

Edited by Kazahel

Another thing that might help. Test if you're dreaming everytime you go to the bathroom(toilet). I tend to wake up around 5amish and need to go to the bathroom. When I do I basically make the walk with my eyes shut to keep me closer to sleep(because I find it hard to go back to sleep personally). Anyway we tend to dream of needing to go to the bathroom if your body actually needs to go to the bathroom.. so I guess if you were to test reality during those times while awake then if you dream of that need you will have it set as a trigger to make you think about your reality.

I suppose this would work(its just setting a trigger).. I guess you'd call it something like a BILD technique. lol. (bladder induced lucid dream)

Edited by Kazahel

A good technique is a dream stone. Pick a smooth stone out of a river bed or somewhere else and carry it with you all the time. Get into a habiit if reaching into your pocket and rubbing while go about your day and ask your self if you are dreaming.

It's a trigger system that dosnt require light switches or other specific things because it's always with you.

I have not personally tried it, but it sounds like it would work well.

I suppose this would work(its just setting a trigger).. I guess you'd call it something like a BILD technique. lol. (bladder induced lucid dream)

Hahaha :clap:

A good technique is a dream stone. Pick a smooth stone out of a river bed or somewhere else and carry it with you all the time. Get into a habiit if reaching into your pocket and rubbing while go about your day and ask your self if you are dreaming.

It's a trigger system that dosnt require light switches or other specific things because it's always with you.

I have not personally tried it, but it sounds like it would work well.

That does sound effective. I never liked getting into the habit of glancing at my hands frequently because it seemed so random. With this at least, it would be subtle. It probably wouldn't be difficult trying to make into a habit because it's a stone in yer pocket. I like this idea, though.

When I first started this was my method

Each night that I got a chance I would go to bed early and practice. I would lay still with my eyes closed. I would tense a part of my body and then release as I released my breath, starting with the feet and working my way to my head. Then I would repeat the process five, seven a dozen or more times. Each time I would release and exhale my breath I would imagine my body sinking deeper into the soft mattress and pillow. And my mind would rise above it.

This would take 30 minutes to an hour until I was totally relaxed. I would have no awareness of my body and it would feel as if I was floating. Sometimes I would fall asleep but still have a very light presents. Many times I would dream that I was floating above the ground. Movement seemed easier. Sometimes I would be awake and scan the darkness. I would have a feeling or intention of moving but I could not see anything clearly. Eventually I always fell asleep.

That sounds like a good way to become immersed a half-conscious state. But I sleep in an awkward position, so I feel that it'd be a little difficult to execute in my case.

That does sound effective. I never liked getting into the habit of glancing at my hands frequently because it seemed so random. With this at least, it would be subtle. It probably wouldn't be difficult trying to make into a habit because it's a stone in yer pocket. I like this idea, though.

It's along the same lines of always carrying around a small card in your pocket with the question "Am I dreaming?" written on it. But the written words act as a reality tester. You read the card during the waking hours as often as you can, glance away from it and then re read it again. It will read the same of course but in a dream it will be blurry, jumbled or say something different(almost always). So its a quick way of proving if you're dreaming or not and because you always carry it, its in the dream with you. A digital watch can be used in the same way.

When you use these types of things though dont just ask the question quickly and move on(or that will become the habit). So with the stone, if you just rub it and quickly ask the question, you might do that in a dream as a habit but without going any further. So it wont prove the reality, only make you ask the question(to which you are used to answering "no im not dreaming"). So you need to take a couple of minutes to really think about the question and then plan(imagine)what you would do if you were dreaming. This helps you not get too stunned and waste the time when you actually do go lucid. So set of goal.

Edited by Kazahel
  • Like 1

I remember when I used to listen to the "Silva ultramind system" and I would have to say...it did relax me. Same as an above poster said about clenching muscles and all.. but it did nothing but make me @ss out after I took off the headphones. I might try the stone technique tho. It's a way of tricking your mind right?

I posted a few years ago on UM about this:

I've been lucid dreaming since I was a kid. I have had a really bad pain problem since birth and instead of taking pain meds, my Mom taught me to visualize to get around the pain. It works wonders, and I have done this visualization my entire life (I'm 35 now ( am 40 now..lol). The side effect if you want to call it that is lucid dreaming. The ability to create scenarios and change dreams, all the while knowing I'm dreaming is an every night thing for me. I stopped having any nightmares at an early age and now only have them if I have had some kind of medical procedure requiring any form of anesthesia. I think having drugs in my system takes away that ability to control my dreams.

Having had lucid dreams all my life, I have also had preconitive dreams at different times in my life. They stand out as being so different from my normal dreams in that I cannot control the dream narrative, and they seem to exist in a hyper reality beyond a normal dream.

I think if anyone wants to have lucid dreams, they should practice meditation, and visualizing, and see if it translates into their dreams.

I've found that some of the dreams I have had were much more fun when I WASN'T lucid. It's like watching a fun movie, nightmare or not. When (on rare occasions) I am able to control my dreams I find that I wake myself up by getting "too into it" I suppose. I recently had a dream about UFOs. I was fully aware of it, and for some reason I had the thought that they were after me in particular. They were very elaborately designed and amazing to behold. But dangerous to my dreaming mind; I had promptly awoke out of a sound sleep. Gave me a great short story to write at least! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like you are a light sleeper like me! You need to buy some earplugs and an eyemask to help yourself sleep better! This is probably the number one reason why you can't remember any of your dreams - your mind is just too tired! Otherwise, I'm not sure if this article will help, but give it a try http://lonerwolf.com/lucid-dreaming/

I have started having more vivid dreams lately, just the act of writing down my dreams each time I wake helped, but I started to notice that one theme of my dreams was people, they were always shifting. I would be with my sister, then leave the room and was with my husband, then I was with a total stranger the next time. So I have started doing reality checks on people during the day. Every time I enter or exit a room I mentally check who is there and ask myself if I am dreaming. I am doing it on any animals in the room as well.

Only been doing it for a week and have become more lucid. Not entirely lucid, in being able to take control completely, but the dreams are more intense because I am paying more attention even while dreaming to who is there and what they are doing. Pretty sure I will have some completely lucid dreams soon.

• Like 1

Dopamine is one catalyst for lucid dreams. I would recommend drinking coffee late in the day, or an energy drink then tiring yourself out by exercising until you fall asleep.

As you go about your day every so often take a moment, but take it in stride as to not make a big thing of it within or without your person, and touch something. Anything, but slow down for that momment, relax man your goin to fast.... Take your time within this moment as you touch a really feel it, every texture, ridge, dip, scratch, temp let them in this moment flow over and in and through around and about you and ask yourself without asking yourself but more remembering that your soul searches to discover if you are awake?

Touch things, really feel them while asking your core Am I awake? Do this, first consciously but over time if it matters to the soul it will become the sort of thing that is done in a overall sense... more perception in that in truth, you cannot be sure if the wall or person or world behind you is still actually there and that even as you read this it is inherently questioned if it is actually happening right now for are you awake?

Remember. There is always time, to take time, to fondle some texture for you have got until ya die.

Edited by StrYdeRmE

• 2 weeks later...

Being an insomniac is partially the problem with the clarity of your lucid dreams, you not getting proper sleep will more than just distort your dreams.

I suggest what you do is lay down an hour before you actually plan to sleep. Within that hour keep your eyes closed and keep thinking to yourself "I'm dreaming, I'm about to dream, I want to dream of (whatever)" Think about your day and again repeat that you are dreaming or want to dream of whatever WHILE you think of the day.

Because you are focusing on your day or even last couple days while you are telling yourself you are sleeping you are hitting two birds with one stone. Firstly examining your day before you sleep makes it so that your mind doesn't have to make up something random to help you deal with the day or week subconsciously through your sleep. Secondly you are "installing" a subconscious message within your mind before sleeping so that instead of playing a "random message" you are either able to start the dream doing what you want to do. Or you will already "know" that you are dreaming and be able to go from there.

Otherwise being able to be omnipotent within the lucid dream actually takes practice. You may hear of people like myself who can create entire cities, populate those cities and then make a game out of it like say "Zombie Apocolypse". This I wasn't able to do right off the bat, it took years of practice and training. It even helps to learn 3D design and animation to be able to create completely new objects.

A favorite of mine though is creating shape arrays... something like a spiralgraph in 3D... it's amazing...

A great way to start learning how to create buildings, people, etc. is to try and create a blank white area, then populate said area with whatever you can think up. The easiest and best advice for this I can give is to not focus too much in the details, your mind will automatically create details, this goes for everything in the lucid world you create, don't think of the details, it will only slow you down and can even just wake you up.

Hope this helped.

G3N0M3

• Like 1

i used to have lucid dreams really often about 3 years ago, when i had a lot of sleep time on a regular basis. one thing that worked great for me was writing down dreams. as soon as you wake up, write it down before you forget it. some dreams follow a certain pattern or share some common traits, by writing it down you will remember the details and be more likely to become lucid. another thing is, if you become lucid but feel like you're waking up, don't give up. keep "thinking" about the dream, try to keep it going even if you're not sure if it's a dream or just thoughts. the mind likes the play tricks on you, what might seem like a waking thought, might actually eb just part of your dream, and even if you are waking up, thinking about it might help you fall back asleep and the line between your thoughts and your dreams will start becoming blurry, hopefully your dream will start where your thoughts left off. hope this helps, good look my aspiring oneironaut.