Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How many of you do and don't believe in God?

LiveForChrist1

Were that distinguishing genuine science and false science were so easy. Lots of intelligent people observe carefully and think logically and come to diametrically opposite conclusions. This happens especially in politics and philosophy, but also in science.

The one thing about science that distinguishes it is that there seems to be some sort of flowing, developing, consensus. It changes over time and therefore is not absolute, but it is there nevertheless and generally extremely reliable. I think this is possible in part because science in our world is limited to a fairly narrow range of topics, and tends to mind its own business.

The word comes from "knowledge", but that is now how science is defined. Science is not knowledge; it is the scientic method. I.e. how knowledge is aquired -- not by divine inspiration or a dream in a cave, but by observation and logical thought.

Science is a type of knowledge.

"Science refers to a system of acquiring knowledge. This system uses observation and experimentation to describe and explain natural phenomena. The term science also refers to the organized body of knowledge people have gained using that system. Less formally, the word science often describes any systematic field of study or the knowledge gained from it."

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/science-definition.html

• 1 year later...

I know that there is no meaningful God and/or Satan.

How do I know?

That IS NOT the question that you are TRULY asking; what you truly want to ask is How Can I [YOU] Know?

The answer to that is - You can never KNOW.

Mystic doofuses, I have done this as well, oft times yammer that "Anyone can do it," BUT the fact is...very few can do IT and even less than that will attempt "it" and fewer still will survive to arrive @ enlightenment.

Now you'll, probably, want to know what Enlightenment is - ask and ye shall receive, but.....you may not like AND........you'll never know the answer.

Edited by Tor_Hershman

dont believe in god per-say.. but i believe i can fly, i believe i can touch the sky

i keep reading that Jesus was a great teacher but he taught nothing that can't be found in the old testament.he may have put a different spin on it but it was the same message

fullywired

• Like 2

i keep reading that Jesus was a great teacher but he taught nothing that can't be found in the old testament.he may have put a different spin on it but it was the same message

fullywired

I actually agree with this. He taught a message also taught by other important liberal jews (The rabbis Hillel father and son) from whom he probably learned as a young man. We can read their writings and compare them with those attributed to Christ and see the similarities. Christ wasn't trying to start a new religion, but revitalise and reform an old one. He was part of a wider movement, in conflict with the very orthodox and conservative school which constituted jewish authority at that time.

I actually agree with this. He taught a message also taught by other important liberal jews (The rabbis Hillel father and son) from whom he probably learned as a young man. We can read their writings and compare them with those attributed to Christ and see the similarities. Christ wasn't trying to start a new religion, but revitalise and reform an old one. He was part of a wider movement, in conflict with the very orthodox and conservative school which constituted jewish authority at that time.

You can also see their differences. Hillel, for example, was quoted as saying "don't do to others what you don't want done to yourself". A subtle, but significant difference to Jesus' famous "do unto others..." statement.

You can also see their differences. Hillel, for example, was quoted as saying "don't do to others what you don't want done to yourself". A subtle, but significant difference to Jesus' famous "do unto others..." statement.

Yes. Jesus spoke in his own way and with his own words, although you can see where he got many of his theological positions from. Christ was not the only one killed by the pharisees and other authorities of the opposing school. They also used the zealots to kill off much of its leadership. This weakened the Hillel school's influence but eventually its position was affirmed as jewish "orthodox" belief.

I realize I've missed 11 pages of discussion, but in response to the original question. I do not believe in any god(s) that have been proposed to me. I don't see any reason too, however if sufficient evidence was presented to me, I would be more than willing to accept the idea that a god exists.

• Like 1

I realize I've missed 11 pages of discussion, but in response to the original question. I do not believe in any god(s) that have been proposed to me. I don't see any reason too, however if sufficient evidence was presented to me, I would be more than willing to accept the idea that a god exists.

Ah but there is the proverbial rub, isn't there. You are just expected, if not outright ORDERED to believe on command. No choice, just believe what you're ordered to.

However IF there was ample evidence to PROVE that any deity exists then there is no reason to believe, is there because you would know.

As for me I never accepted any religion nor any claim of the existence of deities. Never made sense to me.

If it is all about love for others then why does it need a religion?

Didn't Gandhi say something like "Love doesn't require a religion"?

Do I believe in God?

I don't know.

I've never really had any experiences either way.

The longer I live, though, the more I lean toward the possiblity that there is something or someone out there who orchestrates all this chaos. Or at least has a hand in its facilitation.

you may ask: what is god and who is god and I will say yeah, that Guy, I believe in him..... matter of fact I know he's real :D :D :D :D

yeayyyyy!

Ah but there is the proverbial rub, isn't there. You are just expected, if not outright ORDERED to believe on command. No choice, just believe what you're ordered to.

However IF there was ample evidence to PROVE that any deity exists then there is no reason to believe, is there because you would know.

As for me I never accepted any religion nor any claim of the existence of deities. Never made sense to me.

If it is all about love for others then why does it need a religion?

Didn't Gandhi say something like "Love doesn't require a religion"?

God doesn't require a religion either. But sometimes religion is helpful in acquiring an understanding of God.

• Like 1

God doesn't require a religion either. But sometimes religion is helpful in acquiring an understanding of God.

False understanding.

• Like 1

The tree in front of my house is orange with yellow and pink dots on it….I know that is the truth because my mother told me….or I just feel it's true. How could anyone take me seriously?

God doesn't exist because if he did why do people's beliefs about him differ so wildly. If he existed he'd be a lot bigger, a lot more powerful,…he would have a lot more of an effect in the world. I think the reason we don't agree is because God isn't real. We are perceiving something that is made up. Sacred books and many religious transcripts can be mistaken…they all have mistakes in them don't they?

The more we understand about the world, the more God's power is diminished. What ever we don't understand we say God is responsible for it. As I write this the sciences of neuropsychology and neurology are advancing leaps and bounds. The soul, our consciousness, our identity, our free will, all this is affected by physical changes to the brain. Changes in the brain can hugely affect us, so much so that we become unrecognizable. If God existed why isn't he more recognizable….why can't he just reveal his true self…why wouldn't he just be obvious?

• Like 1

I believe in God.

However, I was also an atheist at one time so I understand where many of you are coming from. I feel it is better to accept people as they are, rather than trying to force belief or unbelief on someone. Yes, I am a Christian, but I also have friends who are atheists and agnostics. I respect their opinions.

Speaking for myself only, I find it difficult NOT to believe in a God of some sort. I simply cannot accept that the order I see in creation all around me is the product of chance. As the Christian philosopher Francis Schaeffer once wrote "time + chance = everything." Take for example a kind of teleological argument; "In recent years, however, the scientific community has been stunned by its discovery of how complex and sensitive a nexus of conditions must be given in order for the universe to permit the origin and evolution of intelligent life on Earth. The universe appears, in fact, to have been incredibly fine-tuned from the moment of its inception for the production of intelligent life on Earth at this point in cosmic history. In the various fields of physics and astrophysics, classical cosmology, quantum mechanics, and biochemistry, various discoveries have repeatedly disclosed that the existence of intelligent carbon-based life on Earth at this time depends upon a delicate balance of physical and cosmological quantities, such that were any one of these quantities to be slightly altered, the balance would be destroyed and life would not exist."

Again, I am speaking for myself only. I don't mean offense to anyone who has an opposing view nor am I trying to debate or convert anyone. This is just my opinion on the matter. Also; with this post I am merely arguing for theism in general. My reasons for believing in the Christian God is another story for another day....

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 1

I find it difficult to accept all of creation is by chance too. Maybe there is a creator behind everything.

We could create life and therefore become Gods like we once feared…..

I believe in God.

However, I was also an atheist at one time so I understand where many of you are coming from. I feel it is better to accept people as they are, rather than trying to force belief or unbelief on someone. Yes, I am a Christian, but I also have friends who are atheists and agnostics. I respect their opinions.

Speaking for myself only, I find it difficult NOT to believe in a God of some sort. I simply cannot accept that the order I see in creation all around me is the product of chance. As the Christian philosopher Francis Schaeffer once wrote "time + chance = everything." Take for example a kind of teleological argument; "In recent years, however, the scientific community has been stunned by its discovery of how complex and sensitive a nexus of conditions must be given in order for the universe to permit the origin and evolution of intelligent life on Earth. The universe appears, in fact, to have been incredibly fine-tuned from the moment of its inception for the production of intelligent life on Earth at this point in cosmic history. In the various fields of physics and astrophysics, classical cosmology, quantum mechanics, and biochemistry, various discoveries have repeatedly disclosed that the existence of intelligent carbon-based life on Earth at this time depends upon a delicate balance of physical and cosmological quantities, such that were any one of these quantities to be slightly altered, the balance would be destroyed and life would not exist."

Again, I am speaking for myself only. I don't mean offense to anyone who has an opposing view nor am I trying to debate or convert anyone. This is just my opinion on the matter. Also; with this post I am merely arguing for theism in general. My reasons for believing in the Christian God is another story for another day....

Well of course, but how is this argument evidence for a god? Saying the universe is fit for our existence is a moot point, because if it wasn't fit for our existence, then we obviously would not be here. I'm reminded of the Douglas Adams (I believe) story where a puddle becomes self-aware and remarks at how well it fits in the hole it is in, and therefore believes the hole must have been designed for it. Of course wherever you are is going to be a fit for you, that's the only way you could be there.

• Like 1

False understanding.

Not necessarily, but one problem with religions is that they are, "one size fits all". A personal relationship with god develops a personal understanding of god which is most appropriate for an individual .Religions grow from other peoples relationships with, and understandings about , god so why not develop your own, rather than go with someone else's. But of course most people are intrinsically mentally lazy, and it is easier just to adopt an existing belief/understanding, than work on creating your own.

At the core, all the Worlds Religions are really the same Religion. Take away the rules and rituals and regulations and you find that a persons ultimate and real identity is God. We are the Gods and in this universe of mystery we created a part of it. That is the only thing that makes sense to me. Hinduism speaks of this, everyone is God, but with all other religions the truth remains hidden.