Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doomsday Clock Holds at 5 'Til Midnight

Still Waters

The hands of the infamous "Doomsday Clock" will remain firmly in their place at five minutes to midnight — symbolizing humans' destruction — for the year 2013, scientists announced today (Jan. 14).

http://www.livescien...s-midnight.html

I think it is closer to midnight than we think. Needs to be 1 minute to midnight

On what basis do they think we're 5 minutes from eliminating the Human race?

Thats in Doomsday time which is different then GMT. :clap:

Here is an official Doomsday Clock...

Edited by AsteroidX

I guess the purpose of this is to remind the world we have very little time to rid the world of nuclear weapons, meet the challenges of global warming, etc. Ronald Ragan could have done that when he was President but didn't. Soon there will be nuclear bombs in every country. I wonder if we have past the point of no return. I like to be optimistic and say no but I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

I never even knew there was a clock.. and to think we've been counting down to Dec. 21 for no reason.

So was the Doomsday Clock set at December 21st 2012 last year lol?

Five minute till is not too bad, considering the clock started in 1947 at 7 minutes till. And was at 2 minute till back in the 1990s. Looks positively rosy.

Also at 7 minutes till it was only US that had the bomb, so now with lots of nuclear nations, including North Korea, and Isreal, 5 minutes does not look so bad.

• Like 1

That clock is WRONG.

They forgot to change the batteries. :passifier:

• Like 1

I wonder what it would take to go back to 11:50, which would be 3 minutes before even the start up time on the clock? Or back 12 hours to Noon? Maybe noon was pre-Sumerian, before cities and organized war, and before organized agriculture?

Might as well call it the opinion clock. Only two nuclear weapons have been detonated over civilians. I don't see that changing any time soon. Humans don't deliberately cause nuclear accidents like Fukushima, so why it's included is beyond me. Humans aren't the main cause of climate change, it's hard to stop a natural phenomenon.

Might as well call it the opinion clock. Only two nuclear weapons have been detonated over civilians. I don't see that changing any time soon. Humans don't deliberately cause nuclear accidents like Fukushima, so why it's included is beyond me. Humans aren't the main cause of climate change, it's hard to stop a natural phenomenon.

We're not exactly helping in the case of climate change though, I think we do have to admit at least that.

We're not exactly helping in the case of climate change though, I think we do have to admit at least that.

But, then that asks the question, will climate change... even the melting of both polar ice caps, really Wipe Out the human race? Isn't that the purpose of the Doomsday Clock? Measuring the time left till the Extinction of the human race. If it is only a measure till a "Disaster" then wasn't Climate Change going to happen anyway in 10,000 or 50,000 years? What qualifies as a Doomsday Clock "Disaster"? It was a lot simpler/cleaner when it was only a measure of the nuclear war possibility.

Makes you go hummmmmm......

I guess the purpose of this is to remind the world we have very little time to rid the world of nuclear weapons, meet the challenges of global warming, etc. Ronald Ragan could have done that when he was President but didn't. Soon there will be nuclear bombs in every country. I wonder if we have past the point of no return. I like to be optimistic and say no but I'm not so sure.

IMHO we passed the point of no return regarding nuclear weapons the moment they were invented, every weapon ever made eventually was available around the globe, either from trading for goods or helping an ally. The global distribution of nukes is inevitable, and I fear so is someone eventually using one again. Scary what wonders through my mind sometimes.

• Like 1

But, then that asks the question, will climate change... even the melting of both polar ice caps, really Wipe Out the human race? Isn't that the purpose of the Doomsday Clock? Measuring the time left till the Extinction of the human race. If it is only a measure till a "Disaster" then wasn't Climate Change going to happen anyway in 10,000 or 50,000 years? What qualifies as a Doomsday Clock "Disaster"? It was a lot simpler/cleaner when it was only a measure of the nuclear war possibility.

Makes you go hummmmmm......

The entire concept of doomsday clock makes me go Eerrmmmmmm anyways

another scheme to scare people and make money of the not so smart and the easily deceived people again!i can't blame them there the smart ones and the not so smart ones are the ones that buy into the the whole doomsday scheme

IMHO we passed the point of no return regarding nuclear weapons the moment they were invented, every weapon ever made eventually was available around the globe, either from trading for goods or helping an ally. The global distribution of nukes is inevitable, and I fear so is someone eventually using one again. Scary what wonders through my mind sometimes.

I read a book in my teens called AIRWAR by Edward Jablonski - a very good history of airpower in WWII. Referring to a flyover by all the allied aircraft involved in the war on the day of the signing in Tokyo Bay It ended with this Statement - "so the war ended, with all the weapons in place for the final world war" - I think he got it right.

I can't tell if the scientists involved are being incredibly patronizingly melodramatic, or incredibly arrogant about what they know about the world.

'the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists considered the current state of nuclear arsenals around the globe, the slow and costly recovery from events like Fukushima nuclear meltdown, and extreme weather events that fit in with a pattern of global warming.'

So the 'bulletin of atomic scientists' is basically just clutching at any highly debated issue-of-the-month to reinforce keeping their 'clock' at about the same dramatic position it's been at for the last however long.

How is it even a clock?? It's clearly not counting down actual time because it goes back and forth more than a modified DeLorean. Perhaps it should be the Doomsday Proximity Meter. Still BS though.