Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

crime prediction software

seeder

" WASHINGTON January 14 (RIA Novosti) - It seems like a scene from the sci-fi thriller Minority Report, but police in three US cities are already using or testing new technology for predicting crimes before they happen – and taking preemptive, concrete steps to prevent them, US media reported.

The crime prediction software, developed by Richard Berk, a criminology professor at the University of Pennsylvania, was designed for use by probation officers to calculate which recently released inmates are most likely to commit murder in the future"

http://en.rian.ru/wo...n_Software.html

Minority Report was a good film! I enjoyed the silliness of it! But imagine this software evolving over the next ten years?

Edited by seeder

" WASHINGTON January 14 (RIA Novosti) - It seems like a scene from the sci-fi thriller Minority Report, but police in three US cities are already using or testing new technology for predicting crimes before they happen – and taking preemptive, concrete steps to prevent them, US media reported.

The crime prediction software, developed by Richard Berk, a criminology professor at the University of Pennsylvania, was designed for use by probation officers to calculate which recently released inmates are most likely to commit murder in the future"

http://en.rian.ru/wo...n_Software.html

Minority Report was a good film! I enjoyed the silliness of it! But imagine this software evolving over the next ten years?

I'm not surprized.

However in the article, is says it can accurately predict 8 of 100 crimes. 8 out of 100 crimes..... 8% suceess rate? this isnt even worth the hassle.... im sure if you put 100 criminals in front of me, my quess on who is going to reoffend would be a better suceess rate than that.

• Like 1

I'm not surprized.

However in the article, is says it can accurately predict 8 of 100 crimes. 8 out of 100 crimes..... 8% suceess rate? this isnt even worth the hassle.... im sure if you put 100 criminals in front of me, my quess on who is going to reoffend would be a better suceess rate than that.

thats kinda why I said give it ten years!

I'm not surprized.

I agree, it does seem pretty useless now, but as seeder said, give it 10, 20, 30 years and I think it could develop as a very useful tool for crime prevention, and I think it could definitely be a revolutionary tool for the police etc. As the article states, "In the future, Berk said the algorithm could also be used to help set bail amounts, decide sentences, and predict lesser crimes." so it would have a number of uses bar just predicting crime.

Of course they will be able to predict crimes quit accurately in the future because they will be watching your every move.

• Like 3

I'm not surprized.

I think police departments are suckers for this crap. Think about those voice stress tests that were all the rage for a while and then it turned out they are no better than chance at detecting deception. I think I chose the field. I should have been designing nonsense technology to sell to law enforcement.

I'm sure they will find away around it. I mean at one time lie detector tests were the it thing. Now they aren't even admissible in court.