Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
spartan max2

Living for ever good or bad?

111 posts in this topic

I wouldn't mind trying.

You find the idea of eternal life desirable?

May I ask how old you are? Of course if you don't mind just in regards to this discussion.

My grandmother would have rather died than lose her mind, to go into a home. Even as I child I thought she would live forever, I wanted her to. But she said herself she would like to go to rest one day.

She was always learning new things, kept her mind healthy. Was one of 5 women who survived removal of a lung due to tuberculosis. She has travelled around the world. She definitely lived her life and lived longer than expected. I think she was 86 when she died.

Maybe after you've lived that long your desire will change.

Edit: wait sorry, just checked your profile in regards to your age.

Edited by Orcseeker
1 person likes this

I think the answer to whether or not one wants to continue living depends on how happy you are.

As a Buddhist I am not supposed to be happy; we maintain that life is mainly about suffering and delusions and the frustration of desires that we shouldn't have anyway. Still, and although I think that analysis is pretty good, I am happy anyway. Most Buddhists are.

I'd rather just live and then die. The afterlife is much more appealing to me than this place.

Forever? Bad, I think.

Although, I'd like to live two or three hundred years maybe, but comes a point when you'll sort of lose interest I think. People you care about pass away, family, kids, grand kid, great grand kids.........then you have to sort of fake your own death or disappear and then no contact after that.

Personally, I thought the character of Data on "Strar Trek TNG" had a huge problem ahead of him, he was designed to last some ten thousand years. Oye! Then what? He'd be able to get a new body by then. So a few hundred years I think would be cool, forever? Maybe not such a great idea.

Forever? Bad, I think.

Although, I'd like to live two or three hundred years maybe, but comes a point when you'll sort of lose interest I think.

Well living indefinitely doesn't sound so good if others continue to age and die. Otherwise I don't think I would ever lose interest.

The doctrine of the immortality of the soul has more threat than comfort. -- Manson Cooley.

1 person likes this

The doctrine of the immortality of the soul has more threat than comfort. -- Manson Cooley.

The devil is in the details.
1 person likes this

I think the answer to whether or not one wants to continue living depends on how happy you are.

That is probably the best way to sum it up :) . If your enjoying your life you normally dont want to loose it.

Edited by spartan max2

Imagine the divorce rate then...I mean who would be able to stay married to the same person forever and ever and ever...

:yes:

Imagine the divorce rate then...I mean who would be able to stay married to the same person forever and ever and ever...

:yes:

My wife has passed, so I guess I wouldn't need a divorce. I will say though that I can well imagine remaining married to her forever.

Immortality is the most precious gift mankind could ever attain, but only if it were to be as a pure energy being or spirit. Anything physical would ultimately become terrible.