Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Silence

Beastly Decimal

Silence

The ghostly stillness settles

its weight upon my brow

as I contemplate the silence

that rules my humble dwelling.

The cold, chill aloneness forces

its presence upon my shattered mind.

The absence of my beloved

crackles along my spine

and forces

fruitless memories to the fore

of my shattered skull.

I just want the present

to cleanse the sins of the past

I just want some peace of mind

that will last.

I just want your warm laugh

to shatter this depressing

dark, silence that rules my humble dwelling.

• Like 4

I like this partly because it doesn't have words that rhyme with each other but I like it mostly because of what it captures. Oh most of us have been haunted the same way, tortured by past memories and present loneliness. Especially the feeling that the present should erase the past but the promised "time heals all" is not delivered timely enough for our own preferences.

I guess only the present can heal the present in the end. The past remains the same no matter how many times we try and revisit and try to alter but I would love to know how to solve that problem for all time.

I hope the laugh that would comfort you is summoned somehow through this piece.

Yeah, which reminds me of Ray Charles, who sang, "They say that time heals a broken heart but time has stood still since we've been apart." And I too prefer poems that don't rhyme. Or that rhyme internally without calling too much attention to themselves. Robert Frost once said "Writing free verse poetry is like playing tennis with the net down." Well, Bob was a master of rhyme but this poem is just as evocative without it. I was especially attracted to your "fruitless memories" phrase. Nice. Sometimes memories are our only consolation. Perhaps the memory of "your warm laugh" will bring what Dr. Seuss said: "Don't cry because it's over--smile because it happened." ~ Dr. Seuss

--Bill

• Like 1

Read it again. This time I appreciated how our own internal dialogue can somehow include the setting, that is the way we feel inside can somehow show up in our environment as in the, "silence that rules my humble dwelling."