Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fossil Diatoms FOUND in Metoer Rock Matrix

FenderJazzBass

The article linked below adds some interesting details to the account of the discovery of the Polannaruwa meteorite. The fragments were reported to be smoking, and still hot enough to burn the hands of those who tried to collect them. Dr. Wickramasinghe explains that the object was determined to have the correct proportion of carbon to be a carbonaceous chondrite meteorite. He proposes to do further testing of the specimen he has, and to publish his findings in a recognized, peer-reviewed scientific journal in the near future. http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

To be continued....see, it's not nice to jump to conclusion like the blogger did without enough evidence. Should be a good lesson for da skeptics

• Like 1

If they can clearly identify the fossil, to something like we have on earth; then how is it extraterrestrial? Maybe it was blasted into space from earth, and finally made it back. However, DNA that doesn't match anything on earth would be alien!

If they can clearly identify the fossil, to something like we have on earth; then how is it extraterrestrial? Maybe it was blasted into space from earth, and finally made it back. However, DNA that doesn't match anything on earth would be alien!

Dr. Wickramasinghe explains that several of the diatoms found in the meteorite have been looked at by experts, and can not be identified as species from Earth. The biologist consulted by Dr. Plait thought that they looked like Earth diatoms, but did not specify any particular species. He was apparently working from the published photographs, alone. These, of course, do not tell the whole story. I do not believe that any DNA will have been preserved, if the diatoms are fossilized, as has been reported.

Dr. Wickramasinghe explains that several of the diatoms found in the meteorite have been looked at by experts, and can not be identified as species from Earth. The biologist consulted by Dr. Plait thought that they looked like Earth diatoms, but did not specify any particular species. He was apparently working from the published photographs, alone. These, of course, do not tell the whole story. I do not believe that any DNA will have been preserved, if the diatoms are fossilized, as has been reported.

Known species. According to wiki, "It is estimated that there are approximately 100,000 extant species." One questions why they would need to estimate. Possibly something to do with the fact that the things are microscopic and literally everywhere so that the prospect of our having found all of these extant species is rather unlikely. If they are fossilized, that raises the further possibility that they are of a previously unknown extinct species.

Wow,I had not seen this before.

That's amazing .

And what about now, when you have read the rest of the thread?

Some writers and publications have taken to charging, or repeating the charge, that Dr. Wickramasinghe is a 'fringe scientist'. As the context of these remarks makes clear, the intent is critical and dismissive. They are not commending him for working at the edge of what is known, and seeking to expand scientific knowledge. I thought it might be interesting to look up the doctor's curriculum vitae, resume, honors, publications, and accomplishments. Here is a link to a summary of this impressive lifetime of scientific endeavor:

http://www.buckingha...wickramasinghe/

Edited by bison

Some writers and publications have taken to charging, or repeating the charge, that Dr. Wickramasinghe is a 'fringe scientist'. As the context of these remarks makes clear, the intent is critical and dismissive. They are not commending him for working at the edge of what is known, and seeking to expand scientific knowledge. I thought it might be interesting to look up the doctor's curriculum vitae, resume, honors, publications, and accomplishments. Here is a link to a summary of this impressive lifetime of scientific endeavor:

http://www.buckingha...wickramasinghe/

Well if your mentor was Hoyle, you would probably be regarded as somewhat eccentric, or even fringe yourself! A Nobel Prize winner who cannot believe the Big Bang. Hoyle compared the random emergence of even the simplest cell without panspermia to the likelihood that "a tornado sweeping through a junk-yard might assemble a Boeing 747 from the materials therein." Hoyle thought that Abiogenesis was a complete crock, and pushed Panspermia himself, as such, Wickramasinghe seems destined to follow that path that he has. Not sure how the chicken and the egg question goes with Panspermia myself.

Hoyle was regarded a bit nutty at times to, but nobody doubted that he was quite a brilliant man. Still one would be lying if they refused to liken Wickramasinghe to Chicken Little. He does see Panspermia everywhere he looks.

Wow,I had not seen this before.

That's amazing .

It will be very amazing.

If the rock is actually from space.

http://journalofcosm...nnaruwaRRRR.pdf

Sorry too excited to spell properly. Can someone edit the title of this post for spelling ?

Two points:

1. How many significant scientific discoveries have been made after THIRTEEN DAYS of study?

2. The Journal of Cosmology is a joke. It's really nothing more than a blog for believers in fringe science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journal_of_Cosmology

When it shows up in Science or Nature, give me a call.

• 2 weeks later...