Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

flying bat-like creature

grub26

in the summer of 1988 in wapakoneta ohio, 2 friends and i were wrestling in the front yard of my house. it was just about dark, so i would say it was like 8-9 pm. behind my house was nothing but farming fields. across the field towards the road was a big water tower, which is at the end of town. as we were in the front yard, something flew over the house from the back and just over a street light across the street and it landed in a tree. we all seen the underbelly of this creature as it flew over the street light. it appeared to be like lizard skinned, kinda green grey, its wing span looked to be about 6' - 8' . the body was human like in its shape and dimensions.when it landed in the tree, it was like you or me being tossed in the top of the tree and the tree swayed quite a bit. it took off from the tree and flew straight up in the air and was gone. you could hear it flap its wings is what got our attention to begin with. we had no clue what we had just seen. none of us have ever forgotten it either. it was definately sumthing weve never seen before and probly never will again. i have seen on the net of other sightings of the same description. this wasnt the mothman or some mythical creature that u read about. it was almost gargoyle like without the long pointy ears. the next few days after it happened we were talking about maybe it was on top of the water tower watching us wrestle in the yard. we didnt hang out much in the yard after that.

• Like 4

It seems like from the way you are describing, you saw the creeper from jeepers creepers. LOL

But lets get back to reality.....Im not a animal expert, but I do not know a animal who can fly straight up (vertically) unless it is already in the air, as see the creeper doing in the movies.

hmmm bat like with lizard skinned, kinda like dragon, I would say. The jearsy devil prehaps.

Did the creature hanged upside down, when it was on the tree, like bats do.

It is a true fact when people measuring something that is high up and flying to be inaccurate, especially in the dark..

Golden-capped fruit bat is the largest bat in the world, and you can hear it flapping over a great distance

i dont think theres golden-capped fruit bats in wapak ohio.what i described is what all (3) of us seen. 3 people seen the same thing. i was actually seeing if someone else had ever seen anything like it. not looking for opinions on what someone else thought we saw.

well good luck with that

also, it be wise not to post a uncompleted post, since there is no mention of your post saying you want to see if anyone else has seen anything like it, and your post certainly did not mention about other peoples opinions on the matter, all your post states is your recollection of event that happened in 1988

Edited by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart

in the summer of 1988 in wapakoneta ohio, 2 friends and i were wrestling in the front yard of my house. it was just about dark, so i would say it was like 8-9 pm. behind my house was nothing but farming fields. across the field towards the road was a big water tower, which is at the end of town. as we were in the front yard, something flew over the house from the back and just over a street light across the street and it landed in a tree. we all seen the underbelly of this creature as it flew over the street light. it appeared to be like lizard skinned, kinda green grey, its wing span looked to be about 6' - 8' . the body was human like in its shape and dimensions.when it landed in the tree, it was like you or me being tossed in the top of the tree and the tree swayed quite a bit. it took off from the tree and flew straight up in the air and was gone. you could hear it flap its wings is what got our attention to begin with. we had no clue what we had just seen. none of us have ever forgotten it either. it was definately sumthing weve never seen before and probly never will again. i have seen on the net of other sightings of the same description. this wasnt the mothman or some mythical creature that u read about. it was almost gargoyle like without the long pointy ears. the next few days after it happened we were talking about maybe it was on top of the water tower watching us wrestle in the yard. we didnt hang out much in the yard after that.

Thanks for sharing another sighting of the rib-extension winged lizard (REWL).

• 8 months later...

It looked like a frogs skin. Reptile like. No fur or hair or feathers. It really looked like a gargoyle type creature.

• Like 1

over 20 years ago, late at night, no photographic evidence,

also, the description you've given is exactly like a character from the 90's tv series Gargoyles.

not a lot to work with, and was most likely a large bird or bat and the time has messed w/ the memory, unless you're lying just to have a story.*

*no offense...it's the internet

hi

thanks for sharing that very cool story..try to not to let the trollers bother you :)

i don't know if you saw the headlines today, about the 'winged creature' spotted in chile? you know, i do a little research here and there on these 'crptids' i guess is the official term, and there have actually been a lot of reports of sightings of this kind of creature. apparently, some do resemble some sort of lizard, what we would consider a gargoyle with it's almost exaggerated features

there too many reports of strange beings to believe that all are some sort of 'hoax', and we really should, at this point, simply dispense with that idea and move on to the research part(which, in this field, is sadly lacking)

i am curious..what do you guys think it was? i mean, did you get a 'sense' from it?

thanks again for sharing this very cool story :)

msg-97335-0-90585800-1294868484_thumb.jp

jNdrUmA.jpg

And it wasn't a rib extended winged lizard. When I read posts from people that have their own opinion about what someone else posted and they are idiotic stupid smart ass **** that makes no sense referring to the post. Open your ******* eyes and learn how to read instead of posting bull**** about other posts and get out your moms basement and get some fresh air and you mite see sum thin u can post about......

And it wasn't a rib extended winged lizard. When I read posts from people that have their own opinion about what someone else posted and they are idiotic stupid smart ass **** that makes no sense referring to the post. Open your ******* eyes and learn how to read instead of posting bull**** about other posts and get out your moms basement and get some fresh air and you mite see sum thin u can post about......

First off, i kind of agree with what you wanted to get across with your post. But since you just made a comment about somebody else's behaviour, i suggest you take a deep breath before posting or think about an anger management course.....

• 7 months later...

I had thought maybe I had been up to long and was seeing things because I had very little sleep and a messed up schedule. I work as a Controls Engineer, and was called into the facility I work at night. It was 1:45 AM when I seen the thing. I have a Ford Expedition and it has 3 sets of off road lights on it and it is like day light when they are on, so I got a good view of what I could see of it. I had been working on the truck that evening and finished up about 11 PM went in and was winding down going to catch a nap before i had to be in work at 3 AM. I got a call about midnight that one of the lines at work was down and I got ready to go in a little early. I still had to fill my radiator on the truck and I used the outside hose. While getting the water I heard what I thought was a bird until it finished its song and it was unlike any bird I had ever heard at that point, it started out like one but ended in a very high pitch sound, nothing I had heard before. About 1 1/2 minutes later I could hear the sound of wings and a very light shadow of what I thought was a bat on the ground and I kinda shook it off. I left my house in Louisville and went East on I-64 it is 26 miles to work in Shelbyville from the house. I had got off the interstate and was on Old Brunnerstown Rd. in a stretch that has no surrounding buildings and this thing swooped down about 30 feet in front of me about 15-20 feet off the ground. it was in a turn and was pitched with its bottom side toward me at the point of the apex of its arch in the swoop it had flapped its wings down and the view I got was of the wings hiding the body of whatever it was, the wings were like dark leather. It would have been at least an 8 foot wing span but it was going so fast that as the wings opened up to where I could see the body it was headed off into the darkness. I hate to say it but YES it was there and yes the wings did look the jeepers creepers but gargoyle is a very accurate description. That was the first thing that I had choose that came to mind was gargoyle, only because what I know of them they are guardians and watched by angels if you are into that belief, but it was very disturbing and I'm not a small guy about 6'1" 220lbs but I didn't want any part of this thing that I'm sure had followed me from the city. It was a very fast walk to the doors this was just May 26 2014 lastnight.

This happened just last night but you found a 7 month old thread to relate your experience through. Curious.

• Like 1

Yes, that's right because when you search for people that have seen flying gargoyle like creatures guess what, this post comes up in the search, but I'm sure you know that, and you don't get a whole lot of choice for places. So yes, when I seen the thing last night I searched for others today that may have seen similar things because that's how it goes. I had no interest in such things until something swooped down in front of me, I don't really get what your comment is trying to convey anyway seems your comment is really very unintelligent at best and very pointless, it added nothing to subject and seemed to only question those that do have an interest in relating what they have seen to others. I did what I came to do which was share what i seen, wouldn't matter had it been adding to something wrote yesterday, or something on a stone in a cave, documentation of events does not stop just because the previous entry was not recent. Could you imagine if researchers took that view on recording findings the state the worlds technology would be in? I could see it now...... Einstein....."well I'd sure like to write down this E=mc2 atomic theory, but my notes are 7 months old so I guess I won't do it"

Edited by Jaseban

I read a book on this very topic recently.I don't doubt what you think you saw,other people have seen similar things but hard evidence of such creatures is non existent.

http://www.amazon.co...1554553&sr=1-1

It's an advanced Reptilian.. I'm just kidding.

That does sound Jeepers Creepers like.. Creepy.

• 5 months later...

I believe u I've gone thrue the same thing

Tell us your experience Willo_cx, id be glad to hear it

Edited by jamesjr191

I think what you may have seen is a Pallid Bat. Google or bing some more images and see what you think. http://en.wikipedia....s_pallidus1.jpg Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1