Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ignoring people in chatroom

Stonecoldvampzy

I've had a few encounters in the chatroom lately with people being rude and talking about topics i need not know off, is there any function in chat to ignore these people like the old chatroom used to have? It was a much better system if you ask me.

Unfortunately, there is no chat room ignore feature at this time.

Just talk to whom you wish to ? Topics is the chat ,are just that,for chatter so....

Ignore what doesn't interest you ...???

Or just make Kazoo talk to you ...he lives in there so *gigglies*

• Like 1

Unfortunately there isn't. I've virtually stopped using it because there is no ignore function.

Because I don't have the abiity to ignore about three users in particular, I just never go in there anymore.

• Like 2

Arent you glad I dont use the chatroom feature Daughter of the Nine Moons. You mods are the greatest. Much blessings to you all :tsu:

Unfortunately there isn't. I've virtually stopped using it because there is no ignore function.

Because I don't have the abiity to ignore about three users in particular, I just never go in there anymore.

Oooo. Gossip. We want names!

• Like 2

No names are necessary... Mostly they are people who continuously pop in with the sole goal of disrupting the flow of conversation by filling the screen up with jibberish that's no where near the topic that was being discussed. I don't really care if they want to fill the screen up with nonsense, but I want to have the ability to ignore them when they do. It keeps me from getting a migraine.

• Like 4

There is no ignore feature on the chat room at the present time but it is something that is likely to be added in a future Invision board update.

In the meantime, if you know of people who are deliberately disrupting or flooding the chat room then please report them, we have zero tolerance for anyone who does this and action will be taken if someone's behavior is disrupting the chat room for everyone else.

There is no ignore feature on the chat room at the present time but it is something that is likely to be added in a future Invision board update.

In the meantime, if you know of people who are deliberately disrupting or flooding the chat room then please report them, we have zero tolerance for anyone who does this and action will be taken if someone's behavior is disrupting the chat room for everyone else.

I did that, it appeared nothin happend with it. Or atleast I have heard nothing of it.

I did that, it appeared nothin happend with it. Or atleast I have heard nothing of it.

The report you submitted is being looked in to and the chat room activities of the individual in question are being monitored. Not every report is an open and shut case, it's often necessary to keep an eye on someone's behaviour for a while before we can decide what action to take.

• Like 3

No names are necessary... Mostly they are people who continuously pop in with the sole goal of disrupting the flow of conversation by filling the screen up with jibberish that's no where near the topic that was being discussed. I don't really care if they want to fill the screen up with nonsense, but I want to have the ability to ignore them when they do. It keeps me from getting a migraine.

That's why I avoid the chat room altogether.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

The chat room is ho humming as usual. Since so many people visit there are going to be wildly different preferences for topics. A successful strategy that many regulars employ is to simply idle, pop in when the conversation interests you, then just idle after when others have their go.

The report you submitted is being looked in to and the chat room activities of the individual in question are being monitored. Not every report is an open and shut case, it's often necessary to keep an eye on someone's behaviour for a while before we can decide what action to take.

I used the chat near daily back when Owlscrying used to moderate it. Then again, that was four or five years ago.. A lot of the time, when conversations diverted towards a topic that broke the chat rules, a member would get a firm warning. Maybe it's because we don't really have moderators in chat now a days that some people just kind of talk about whatever they want? Even if they're breaking the chat rules.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for a good discussion. That's why most members are here in the first place. That and curiosity. I've just recognized in my time here that many of the members on UM are adults, but some times that isn't always the case. Some younger people are apart of the forums, and that's a reality that I don't seem to mind.

But with younger people comes a little immaturity now and again, which isn't all bad. Some times it makes a topic more interesting. A younger view can be refreshing. But I also realize that the chat is a place where topics can change very quickly, and sometimes the topics go into immature territories that make other members uncomfortable. All I am suggesting is that when it gets to the point to where people avoid the chat all together, then maybe we should have a chat moderator in place?

Just my two cents. :D

Edited by Eonwe

The chat room is a difficult beast because people want different things from it and ultimately there's no way we can please everyone.

An 'ignore' feature is something the chat could do with though and I'll be keeping an eye out for a way to do this if it is at all possible. There is currently a thread on Invision Board's own support forums filled with people asking for this exact same feature so it may be on the cards.

• Like 2

The chat room is a difficult beast because people want different things from it and ultimately there's no way we can please everyone.

An 'ignore' feature is something the chat could do with though and I'll be keeping an eye out for a way to do this if it is at all possible. There is currently a thread on Invision Board's own support forums filled with people asking for this exact same feature so it may be on the cards.

Right. Well, that does make sense. I suppose the best way to go about it is to be fair for everyone.

I agree that it's a feature that could help immensely when people are arguing for no reason or baiting.

I used the chat near daily back when Owlscrying used to moderate it. Then again, that was four or five years ago.. A lot of the time, when conversations diverted towards a topic that broke the chat rules, a member would get a firm warning. Maybe it's because we don't really have moderators in chat now a days that some people just kind of talk about whatever they want? Even if they're breaking the chat rules.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for a good discussion. That's why most members are here in the first place. That and curiosity. I've just recognized in my time here that many of the members on UM are adults, but some times that isn't always the case. Some younger people are apart of the forums, and that's a reality that I don't seem to mind.

But with younger people comes a little immaturity now and again, which isn't all bad. Some times it makes a topic more interesting. A younger view can be refreshing. But I also realize that the chat is a place where topics can change very quickly, and sometimes the topics go into immature territories that make other members uncomfortable. All I am suggesting is that when it gets to the point to where people avoid the chat all together, then maybe we should have a chat moderator in place?

Just my two cents. :D

Keep in mind this is a two-way street. I have had to remind others that minors were present in chat and if they could stop talking about "adult" topics,

And then there is this, what is comfortable to one might not be to another, even the conversation our dear Leth was in yesterday was a bit too "Vegas" for me but I'm cool with it.

I just leave with a jaunty wave if the topics not to my liking. I can't change what they're talking about and if I don't jive with the topic then I shouldn't make them change topics for me. I do like the ignore feature idea, for those who don't wish to listen to me in the chat. ;3

Keep in mind this is a two-way street. I have had to remind others that minors were present in chat and if they could stop talking about "adult" topics,

And then there is this, what is comfortable to one might not be to another, even the conversation our dear Leth was in yesterday was a bit too "Vegas" for me but I'm cool with it.

Right, whatever is comfortable with people, I suppose. So long as it's not blatantly disgusting.

I personally am not phased by much, but some people may be.

• 4 weeks later...

remember now, nice boys and girls and "bots" ... zero tolerance

I avoided the chat room because I'm usually ignored :w00t:

haven't step in there since the new decor was up, I'm afraid, I might get lost :alien:

can it be considered also a botton to clear the text in the screen ?

even when you refresh the page the old text .. or some of it still there

and after couple of long chats the chat window becomes laggy and slow

or is it just me ?

can it be considered also a botton to clear the text in the screen ?

even when you refresh the page the old text .. or some of it still there

and after couple of long chats the chat window becomes laggy and slow

or is it just me ?

No ... it was the chat, the dreaded laggy chat.

• Like 1

No ... it was the chat, the dreaded laggy chat.

think the flash chat was more cute and neat :D