Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

greeks gods/goddesses

MissJatti

I was just browsing the internet about the Greek god Zeus and co. And it seems like the first accounts/stories about the Greek god/goddesses, was some where around 800-500 b.c.e.

Well if that's the case, did the people of ancient Greece knew the concept of the god/ god Zeus and co before 800-500 b.c.e.?

Not only Greek gods/myths, what about all other gods/myths in the world in general...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rashore

• orangepeaceful79

• Q-C

• MissJatti

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just browsing the internet about the Greek god Zeus and co. And it seems like the first accounts/stories about the Greek god/goddesses, was some where around 800-500 b.c.e.

Well if that's the case, did the people of ancient Greece knew the concept of the god/ god Zeus and co before 800-500 b.c.e.?

Not only Greek gods/myths, what about all other gods/myths in the world in general...

Some believe we are all born with a knowledge of higher being(s). What we do with it from there is what sets our beliefs or lack thereof apart.

I believe that the Greek gods and goddesses were known well before 500 BC... They are referenced in Homer's Illiad and Odessy and Homer is thought to have lived around 850BC...

I myself have been compared to a Greek god :yes:. Not favorably :no: .

I myself have been compared to a Greek god :yes:. Not favorably :no: .

Lol! I always loved Greek and Roman mythology. Too bad Hollywood keeps messing with it

Mythologies came about when people developed their brains to notice gaps, the unexplained, so thats when they made stories and deities to explain them. Or in the case of the crusades, when someone needed an excuse and way to make a quick and cheap army with an excuse to attack some other place.

Or you could do what the romans did and steal it off the last great civilizations thinking "That big guy with a beard got them a great empire, why don't we use him?"

Also, I believe quite a few greek gods have been known to originate in older mythologies, I believe Ares was first used by the Thracians, hence according to even Greek legend he was born there.