Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

David Attenborough-Humans are plague on Earth

Still Waters

Humans are a plague on the Earth that need to be controlled by limiting population growth, according to Sir David Attenborough.

The television presenter said that humans are threatening their own existence and that of other species by using up the world’s resources.

He said the only way to save the planet from famine and species extinction is to limit human population growth.

http://www.telegraph...tenborough.html

• Like 3

He has a point.

I don't agree with killing people or making people infertile etc.

But sex education is a good step along with other ethical methods.

Also less money into war and other stupid things.. Stick it into space exploration so we can shift our population around other planets. (if it's possible)

We should be thinking more collectively as a species and less singularly. (less selfish)

• Like 5

Cannot disagree with his main point, but like Coffey I can't advocate genocide. Humans have screwed up this planet in so many ways.

• Like 2

I could not agree more with sir david.We seem to think that we are the chosen one,s, far from it.If something is not done soon we will destroy the world.

ehm yes: One planet sees the other in the universe, asks the first: "How is it?". "Well", responds the second, "I got me a skin disease". "Really? What is it called?", inquires the first. "Humans"

We're a species that has evolved in a manner to use it's environment in a wasteful manner, does this make us a 'plague'? Sure... in your human language it does, in nature we're just another thing that's doing it's thang, it'll toss us or not. The whole of nature cares not for the individual species or environment.

I guess I just don't like being told by a human being that I'm an awful human being for being a human being and being around other human beings and making more human beings.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 3

We're a species that has evolved in a manner to use it's environment in a wasteful manner, does this make us a 'plague'? Sure... in your human language it does, in nature we're just another thing that's doing it's thang, it'll toss us or not. The whole of nature cares not for the individual species or environment.

I guess I just don't like being told by a human being that I'm an awful human being for being a human being and being around other human beings and making more human beings.

Indeed you are right - but personally thats little comfort to me.

Br Cornelius

Indeed you are right - but personally thats little comfort to me.

Br Cornelius

Totally understandable. A forest fire may help make the soil become more fertile but we still flee from that shizz. It's not wrong to curb ourselves, but I just detest this attitude towards our own species, I feel it even factors into our generations current pessimism. We're seen as cruddy home wreckers.

• Like 2

I've long believed that it is the destiny of our species to migrate out into the galaxy and eventually the rest of the multiverse. If we keep this planet too comfortable and pristine there will be no reason for us to leave, and indeed in order to leave we must expend vast resources. I do believe that even after most of humanity migrates there will remain humans here on the motherworld and those people with thier by that time godlike technology will return the earth to a near pristine state. Sir David is an old man approaching the end of his life, he has not much future so it's getting harder for him to see one for the rest of us.

Edited by OverSword

Totally understandable. A forest fire may help make the soil become more fertile but we still flee from that shizz. It's not wrong to curb ourselves, but I just detest this attitude towards our own species, I feel it even factors into our generations current pessimism. We're seen as cruddy home wreckers.

Until you appreciate that you are a cause of a problem you are incapable of changing your behaviour to address the problem. We are a long way off from accepting our culpability in the current planetary crisis. We are intelligent and capable of changing - but there is so much momentum behind our disfunctional behaviour that it will take a mass change of conciousness to do enough. Start with acceptance and from ther build the cure.

Br Cornelius

I've long believed that it is the destiny of our species to migrate out into the galaxy and eventually the rest of the multiverse. If we keep this planet too comfortable and pristine there will be no reason for us to leave, and indeed in order to leave we must expend vast resources. I do believe that even after most of humanity migrates there will remain humans here on the motherworld and those people with thier by that time godlike technology will return the earth to a near pristine state. Sir David is an old man approaching the end of his life, he has not much future so it's getting harder for him to see one for the rest of us.

Until we discover some radical flaw in our understanding of physics that aint physically possible. 40years of expendable basic resources wont give us much chance to radically change physics - even assuming it is possible.

Br Cornelius

Humanity has completely exploited this planet and now the planet earth can no longer support the burden of this egotistical race.

Human overpopulation is not only very dangerous for the natural world which we have done so much to destroy but also to ourselves. The more humans there are on the planet there will be more suffering, strife and wars.

Hopefully nature will readdress the balance with natural catastrophes which will signifcantly lower the population.

If we decide to take responsibilty for ourselves a solution would be to sterilise large sections of the population.

Humanity has got to remember that it is just one of billions of different species on this planet and it has no right or entitlement to flourish at the expense of other species or to the detriment of the natural world. I hope we get a rude reminder that we're nothing special on this planet!

Edited by greypaperman

Until you appreciate that you are a cause of a problem you are incapable of changing your behaviour to address the problem. We are a long way off from accepting our culpability in the current planetary crisis. We are intelligent and capable of changing - but there is so much momentum behind our disfunctional behaviour that it will take a mass change of conciousness to do enough. Start with acceptance and from ther build the cure.

Br Cornelius

This is where you and I, and climate change skeptics, do disagree. 'Planetary crisis'? It's climate change caused by a species that evolved naturally and is using the resources of the planet it dwells on. No crisis, just nature. Will it cause problems? Sure. But there will always be climate problems, unless we take a strangle hold approach and devote ourselves to controlling the environment to our liking (and that would still cause problems for other species and natural systems). I guess my whole problem is, I dislike the negative connotation given to our species BY US just for being successful at surviving. Should we care more about other species and watch what we do? We should, yes, our intelligence has given us the ability to self-examine what we've done and want to undo. Must we? No, we're nature, not it's keeper.

• Like 2

Humanity has completely exploited this planet and now the planet earth can no longer support the burden of this egotistical race.

Human overpopulation is not only very dangerous for the natural world which we have done so much to destroy but also to ourselves. The more humans there are on the planet there will be more suffering, strife and wars.

Hopefully nature will readdress the balance with natural catastrphes which will signifcantly lower the population.

If we decide to take responsibilty for ourselves a solution would be to sterilise large sections of the population.

Humanity has got to remember that it is just one of billions of different species on this planet and it hasno right or entitlement to flourish at the expense of other species or the detriment of the natural world. I hope we get a rude reminder that we're nothing special on this planet!

Nature's never in balance, it's in competition with itself.

• Like 2

Nature's never in balance, it's in competition with itself.

And the human race is not above nature and we have been trying to compete with and master nature and hopefully we shall loose. I hope that nature cleanses humanity from the earth.

I feel like all species on this planet are a plague, but we are the dominant ones, so we will be the ones to finally bring it down.

And the human race is not above nature and we have been trying to compete with and master nature and hopefully we shall loose. I hope that nature cleanses humanity from the earth.

And people wonder why our generation doesn't care about things, it's because we don't care about ourselves as a species as well. If you hate your species it'll trickle down to self-hatred.

• Like 3

This is where you and I, and climate change skeptics, do disagree. 'Planetary crisis'? It's climate change caused by a species that evolved naturally and is using the resources of the planet it dwells on. No crisis, just nature. Will it cause problems? Sure. But there will always be climate problems, unless we take a strangle hold approach and devote ourselves to controlling the environment to our liking (and that would still cause problems for other species and natural systems). I guess my whole problem is, I dislike the negative connotation given to our species BY US just for being successful at surviving. Should we care more about other species and watch what we do? We should, yes, our intelligence has given us the ability to self-examine what we've done and want to undo. Must we? No, we're nature, not it's keeper.

How do you define success. Driving half the species to extinction - including ourselves probably - is a strange definition of success. All based on a flawed understanding of our role in the world. Traditional peoples consider their function to be to maintain natures balance for the benefit of all of the biosphere, so I fundamentally disagree that we are destined to behave in the way we are doing - and we are very capable of making conscious choices to behave differently, as our fellow humans have chosen to do.

There is something terribly fatalistic about your attitude to our role in the planets evolution.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Hopefully nature will readdress the balance with natural catastrophes which will signifcantly lower the population.

Humanity has got to remember that it is just one of billions of different species on this planet and it has no right or entitlement to flourish at the expense of other species or to the detriment of the natural world. I hope we get a rude reminder that we're nothing special on this planet!

Prove it.

Until we discover some radical flaw in our understanding of physics that aint physically possible. 40years of expendable basic resources wont give us much chance to radically change physics - even assuming it is possible.

Br Cornelius

That is assuming that there is no way to artificially create gravity fields. Once we do that we're 80% of the way to populating other planetary bodies. You are too ready to believe that we already know everything, thus your view on the climate and most of your other pessimistic view points.

If you believe that then why not kill yourself? Wouldn't that be doing your part?

Prove it.

That is assuming that there is no way to artificially create gravity fields. Once we do that we're 80% of the way to populating other planetary bodies. You are too ready to believe that we already know everything, thus your view on the climate and most of your other pessimistic view points.

I would like to see some small shred of evidence of the breaking of the laws of physics. Even if Gravity distortion is possible, it doesn't allow for us to travel at speeds fast enough to travel between stars and so colonize other planets. There maybe some future development in this direction, but nothing in the window available to us if we continue to exploit our survival biosphere and resource base.

Br Cornelius

If you believe that then why not kill yourself? Wouldn't that be doing your part?

A stupid suggestion as it would not address the fundamental problem of general ignorance which is causing the population time bomb. I get sick of hearing that lame old refrain. Encouraging the people who do understand to kill themselves can only make matters worse.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

I've long believed that it is the destiny of our species to migrate out into the galaxy and eventually the rest of the multiverse.

The only "destiny" we have is death. Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2