Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

David Attenborough-Humans are plague on Earth

Still Waters

To the people who view the human species as a plague or a cancer, are you, personally, a plague and a cancer? Should you not be eradicated then?

Any answers? I'm curious.

At this moment in time, as a part of the human race, yes I would consider myself as part of a plague in the old sense of a plague of locust.

Br Cornelius

I would say that the problem is not so much humanity but certain humans who would rather make profit than ensure more eco friendly products and behaviours. I wonder how many plastic products could be replaced with equivilents made from hemp, a quick growing versatile crop? The problem is corporate greed of companies such as dupont and oil companies, not humanity. Humanity needs to Demand, with a capital 'D' that these companies be riegned in and more eco friendly products be produced. If any one here has read A Brave New World they will remember that the society in that novel was based on consumptions and consumerism, being taught that mending your clothes was a sin while buying something new was saintly because it provided a reason for a job. We live in the brave new world. The people who run things need to have thier jobs taken away through decapitation, not humanity wiped out for the good of the earth.

I've been talking about overpopulation for years. How can anybody with any concern for children have them. Having a child is the most selfish and selfcentered thing a woman can do. I see little proof people have higher intelligence when they give in to animal instinct. As far as people being a plague, I think the agent in the first Matrix movie said it perfectly. OOPS! I forgot, all you have to do is believe in the lord and everything will be okay.

Any answers? I'm curious.

Fine! I deserve to die....come over to my house and kill me...I won't fight back.

Certain posts are on about killing humans which is rubbish because unless you die by accident, You..Yes. All of you will not die willingly.When Sir David said "humans are a plague", I would argue that he meant that humans are increasing so rapidly that the food supply is going to become very scarce in a few years time, so we have to look for a source to solve this problem, as its going to get worse not better.I'm sure that most people have seen the sorry state of some African children, some of them don't even have good clean water to drink,never mind having to eat flour and dirty water every day as there is nothing else.Well guys that's going to be Us in a few years time unless we can come up with a solution to the "Plague" problem. Euthanasia / Suicide, is not the answer.

How can anybody with any concern for children have them. Having a child is the most selfish and selfcentered thing a woman can do

You sir, are a read idi@t. I could write pages on why you are wrong, but I doubt you could comprehend most of it. :unsure2:

Are we ready for space exploration though. We may go to outer-space but we will bring our bad habits with us. Even I want to go to outer-space but one must be benneficial to the space community. Sad to say, Im not so benneficial. There will be all-kinds of encounters of the 3rd kind going on and the question is, will they see us as a threat or welcome us. So far they've not made too many steps toward getting to know us one on one. I can see why. We are dirty, filthy beings, spiritually we stink to high heaven. War is inevitable, get ready for it. No one wants a war, not even I. But we do all live beyond our means. We as an american people have grown use to being lazy, eating un-healthy, and food for slacking off. But even still what we need is not war, but greater a greater spiritual revival to rally around.

Since are Population is Growing at a Rapid rate we will need to start colonizing Space sooner or later. Theres lots of room out there.

As the population increases so does the likelihood of a worldwide pandemic and subsequent loss of population. Indeed, given the human's innate need to procreate and explore, it is unfortunate that we dropped the ball following the manned moon landings decades ago and never moved onto other planets that could be inhabited.

But we didnt drop the ball. The simple fact is we cannot even travel between the planets in our own solar system, that we already know cannot sustain life, let alone human life, no the ball wasnt dropped its just that the vast distance and speed needed to actively visit any planet, (and we havent found a suitable one even with todays technology), makes it impossible to do, its just a dream.

This is our planet. Best make do with it. Man will never colonize another world. Its just the way it is Im afraid.

But typical of man to even think that we can just rinse this world of its resources, and move on.

killing extinct animals.

:w00t: How does one kill an extinct animal?

There are going to be too many humans and there arn't many choices to solve the problem but we can either limit chilred per person or something like that say 2 per person. Or colonise other planets which unfortunately we do not have the technology yet

the Chinese limited childbirth... they still have a population of about 1.5 billion tho

We have War to keep the Population in Check.

Its the natural disasters that will actually harm us more than wars. Like changing weather patterns, sea level rises and floodings. The Tsunami in Fukushima, for ex, the nuclear plants destroyed, and the fall out that is still happening, will not go away for who knows how many years. Its just not in mainstream news much, but you cant clean radiation. Which is spewing into the sea even as I write, fish/babies/birds/life in general, all are suffering from cancerous mutations from the fallout...on that one subject alone...who can tell what the long term outcome will be? Radiation is in the food chain. Now.

Just in the last 2 years we see droughts in places that were green, and much rain in lands that were arid and dry. The world IS changing right now. This isn't something we can avoid, its the way it is, Due to the weather, Australia and the US corn production has dropped, among many other staple crops and its already pushing prices up, another year of weird weather, yes just one more year, and we are really in the poop.

At this moment in time, as a part of the human race, yes I would consider myself as part of a plague in the old sense of a plague of locust.

Br Cornelius

Just for fun!

Edited by seeder

How exactly are we a plague on the Earth? The Earth isn't a living thing that feels pain or has ups and downs. It's an inanimate piece of rock with some water on it. Life itself could be argued to be parasites on the Earth. We're a plague to other living things, but the only bad from that(from a natural point of view) is that in the long run we will only hurt ourselves if we keep up what we've been doing. Preservation of living things and habitats is good from a moral point of view, but "nature" couldn't care less since nature is always changing for good and bad.

We aren't "destroying" the world. We're changing it. Depending on your point of view, it's either for good or bad. I personally think we've done a lot more good for humanity than bad with how we've changed it. The only issue comes from our growing population, which will require even further destruction/invasion of the "natural" world to sustain it, and pollution that is making the water and air unhealthy in some areas. If at all possible we should reduce our population growth and reduce pollution, but if push comes to shove then we need to, and will, do whatever it takes to keep ourselves thriving.

• Like 1

If we were to continue our destructive consumer-based lifestyles then man could certainly be a plague on poor earth. Our planet's finite resources can never sustain humanity at the current pace of development and population growth.

But if we can consider alternative ways to live that don't destroy our habitat, efficient models of living that utilize the latest technologies perhaps we all can co-exist with our planet.

Here's a good example of sustainable living:

[media=]

[/media] Edited by WHO U KIDDIN

If we were to continue our destructive consumer-based lifestyles then man could certainly be a plague on poor earth. Our planet's finite resources can never sustain humanity at the current pace of development and population growth.

But if we can consider alternative ways to live that don't destroy our habitat, efficient models of living that utilize the latest technologies perhaps we all can co-exist with our planet.

Here's a good example of sustainable living:

and another. a million pounds of food...

[media=]

[/media] Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Humans are indeed a plague. I mean that in a non-misanthropic way. We certainly do lack focus but the solutions will never be agreed upon.

That fact likely will slow the plague or stamp it out. When we begin to run out of resources and ignore the basic human desire to see what lay over the next hill or what is across the sea we will go to war and cause mass death.... It is evolution's population control. Unless we spread out and explore space beyond earth humanity will like extinguish itself and give some other genus a cracked at getting it right :)

I'm not anti-people, just anti-stupid. JMHO.

Edited by Esoteric Toad
  • Like 2

But we didnt drop the ball. The simple fact is we cannot even travel between the planets in our own solar system, that we already know cannot sustain life, let alone human life, no the ball wasnt dropped its just that the vast distance and speed needed to actively visit any planet, (and we havent found a suitable one even with todays technology), makes it impossible to do, its just a dream.

This is our planet. Best make do with it. Man will never colonize another world. Its just the way it is Im afraid.

But typical of man to even think that we can just rinse this world of its resources, and move on.

I get your point but it's a bit too "we'll never be able to (insert amazing technological achievement in the last 120 years)".

I think we could do low earth space stations with a bit of centrifugal gravity.... Do we have the technology now? No. Impossible, I can't say I am no expert but I imagine (yeah I know, what I do not know is what makes it impossible) given a couple of decades and dedication we could overcome the materials, building and travel issues (materials from space, and not earth) . If we stuck close to earth we would not have to deal with the huge distances, as many health issues and could perhaps work out the other 'stuff' for warp drives and artificial gravity... and light sabers, and gotta have light sabers.. And fix the whole "no sound in space" or thing. How can you have proper space fighters without that cool tie fighter sound? . :tu:

Better to build up than out. Also it would allow us to look down at the earth and watch it slowly 'heal' itself. (Almost strangled myself on that last bit.... Not much of the 'mother nature, mother earth/hippie speak stuff but it is impractical and stupid to destroy your own and only home)

It took about 65 millon years to recover from the dinosaur termination, as a dominant life force,then we appeared,and have been top of the tree for only a few thousand years. At the rate things are going we wont last another 1000 years,so how long is is going to take for the planet to recover after we have gone,because food for us is running out, so any guesses what the next dominant life form will be.

• Like 1

It took about 65 millon years to recover from the dinosaur termination, as a dominant life force,then we appeared,and have been top of the tree for only a few thousand years. At the rate things are going we wont last another 1000 years,so how long is is going to take for the planet to recover after we have gone,because food for us is running out, so any guesses what the next dominant life form will be.

The dinosaur termination happened about 65 million years ago, but life had recovered within less than a million years, albeit in different forms. What happened from then on was continued evolution, although largely among mammals and birds rather than the non-bird dinosaurs.

I think Attenborough goes entirely too far in some of his pronouncements, and his nature programs seem designed to appeal to some of our grosser instincts (for killing and so on, although he is not as bad as Discovery is). His preaching is tiresome, as is also his superficiality and lack of scientific detail and "gee whiz" approach. I guess this is why he is on the air on TV, a lowest-common-denominator medium.

I think Attenborough goes entirely too far in some of his pronouncements, and his nature programs seem designed to appeal to some of our grosser instincts (for killing and so on, although he is not as bad as Discovery is). His preaching is tiresome, as is also his superficiality and lack of scientific detail and "gee whiz" approach. I guess this is why he is on the air on TV, a lowest-common-denominator medium.

I don't think we a watching the same shows. I am re-watching one of the programs he did on birds. Things are not aways very nice in raw nature. Lions, wolves, and other carnivores kill for a living it is not always a nice to see. Believe me, neither is a trip to a modern slaughter house. Actually his programs are really very tame.

• Like 1

I don't think we a watching the same shows. I am re-watching one of the programs he did on birds. Things are not aways very nice in raw nature. Lions, wolves, and other carnivores kill for a living it is not always a nice to see. Believe me, neither is a trip to a modern slaughter house. Actually his programs are really very tame.

I'm willing to take your word for it. I have downloaded a couple of his programs and found them lightweight and too violent, but have actually seen very little of him. What I think fried me was the quote this thread is about, and which I strongly disagree with. At best our being a "plague" can only be a metaphor, and a poorly chosen one. It overemphasizes the negative and distorts the reality.

I must say I can't stand most nature programs because all they seem to be interested in is the process and excitement of hunting and then the sadistic gratification of the kill. Now I'm not a vegetarian (although I don't eat meat, this is for health and not ethical reasons), and don't say others should do as I do or get pleasure where I get pleasure. Certainly if people enjoy watching animals die, its better that than they do the killing.

Also, I would love it if nature programs were truly informative -- giving information about animal ranges, evolution, ecological relationships, life histories, behavior beyond just mating and hunting, related species and classification, and so on. I know why they don't get into these things much, but that doesn't prevent me from wishing they would. What we get follows such a predictable pattern -- some cute pictures of little ones, maybe a little on mating behavior, and then some hunts and kills and finally a little environment homily.

is he volunteering to commit suicide to lessen the population? Maybe we should start with all the obscenely rich then the criminals. If they are eradicated it would help the status quo and give regular citizens an incentive to clean up the rest of the mess. Like getting rid of poluting big companies and finding a more ecofriendly and cheaper form of energy that is non poluting.

• Like 1