Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Wiccy

I am an orb hunter, this was taken in.....

33 posts in this topic

Sorry if you feel people have been short or abrupt with you. There are just so many people who come here, post things asking what they think, then knock back any sceptical posts by being insistant that what they show just has to be paranormal.

To me, it does look like dust blowing about. Sometimes dust is hard to see with the naked eye but a camera can pick it up. I'd certainly look forward to seeing more videos if you make them. Maybe as someone else suggested, move the camera around so people can get an idea of the surrounding area.

well i havent been orb hunting for very long surely that was plain to see, i have been studying for quite some time

before taking the plunge into filming, i know you cant kill every bug in the damn house did i say that anywhere?

i just said that i had removed the ones that i saw............................also think some of you forgot the rules on here too

well i wont be posting anymore thats for sure

Welcome to UM Wiccy!

People have responded the way they have because there are many threads on here that clearly explain what orbs are and that they are nothing paranormal. There has been much discussion about it but it has been explained many times and there are constantly new threads popping up about it.

You should search the forums and have a read ;)

Can someone please provide a link to 'the truth about orbs' or some other thread which clearly explains what they are...

Probably a good idea to link to a 'rods' thread too as we're talking about flying insects.

Edit: And the people on here talking about 'real' energy orbs etc, well that's just a different misconception altogether.

Edited by Timonthy

That's interesting, OA - may I, not entirely in humour, suggest that you need to take a friend with you on your outings! Do you only see these things during these sessions, ever at other times, eg lying in bed in the dark, or in daytime? Do you have any blood pressure issues, and have you asked a Dr/GP or better yet, ophthalmologist?

We used to take part in many local group skywatches in the 1990s, but we never had a corroboratory ball of light (BOL) sighting by multiple people during one of these (and when a number of us were experimenting with the night/flash orb photography - 35mm film in those days); this is despite some of us frequently seeing them on other occasions while alone - that in itself was/is a curious aspect.

My own BOL sightings were always during dusk/night hours, the vast majority outside; but when I have taken a film/digital image while apparently visually seeing a BOL nothing has been recorded, this has to be a major flag, and it must be highly doubtful these BOLs physically exist external to the perception of the viewer. I haven't seen a BOL, or indeed experienced any remotely paranormal event for 5 years (since I turned 50), this may be down to some sort of physical/psychological change of ageing - still trying to work that one out.

Eyesight was/is corrected by prescription glasses (myopia and astigmatism), and while blood pressure has been slightly above normal for many years, its never been of sufficient concern to my doctor to require medication.

to you people who laugh at the thought of orbs, energy does display itself in the shape of an orb, if a energy source is emmiting from a central point to all directions at an equal distance, that of course creates a orb shape.

Example?

The only examples I can think of are energy sources like stars which are orb shaped only because they are so massive that their gravity forces them into a sphere shape (and not because they emit energy at "an equal distance") or man made objects like light bulbs with cloudy glass designed to diffuse the light giving the appearance of a glowing orb.

In the case of orbs, if it was really a glowing ball and not an optical illusion caused by the camera, then the energy clearly doesn't emit just to a certain distance and stop, it is radiating light equally in all directions outward from the surface of the orb so at least there is some sort of process emitting light at that boundary. I'd be interested in examples other than orbs to illustrate what you are suggesting. What kind of energy travels outward from a central point and stops at the same distance in all directions and what causes it to stop?

Edited by Archimedes
1 person likes this

We used to take part in many local group skywatches in the 1990s, but we never had a corroboratory ball of light (BOL) sighting by multiple people during one of these (and when a number of us were experimenting with the night/flash orb photography - 35mm film in those days); this is despite some of us frequently seeing them on other occasions while alone - that in itself was/is a curious aspect.

My own BOL sightings were always during dusk/night hours, the vast majority outside; but when I have taken a film/digital image while apparently visually seeing a BOL nothing has been recorded, this has to be a major flag, and it must be highly doubtful these BOLs physically exist external to the perception of the viewer. I haven't seen a BOL, or indeed experienced any remotely paranormal event for 5 years (since I turned 50), this may be down to some sort of physical/psychological change of ageing - still trying to work that one out.

Eyesight was/is corrected by prescription glasses (myopia and astigmatism), and while blood pressure has been slightly above normal for many years, its never been of sufficient concern to my doctor to require medication.

Thanks OA, that was interesting, even though it hasn't helped much to pin anything down. :D

Just as an aside, I've seen a few interesting eye-brain effects like the well known 'stars' on a few occasions, but they were related either to a blow to the head or extreme tiredness combined with getting up suddenly... and as those are just very bright points of light that move across your vision, I guess the physiological explanation is fairly easy to accept. Other than that, I've noticed that if I drive along a straight road for WAY too long, once I stop I get an odd effect where what could best be described as small fuzzy, translucent clouds that are cluttered near the horizon move outwards from the centre of my vision and fade, being continually replaced by new ones. They obviously correspond to the vanishing point on the road ahead that was engraved into my vision - it's sort of like that inverted Jesus image, I guess! After ten minutes or so of rest, they go..

But.. as I've described elsewhere, about a year back I saw an optical effect that I simply couldn't believe. Again, it was related to tiredness and a bit of a headache, but I was just idly staring out a window when this weird pattern began to appear. It could best be described as the sort of effect that you get viewing crystaline metallic structures in polarised light - lots of 'shards' of colours in rainbow hues. And the pattern just grew and grew - I was afraid I was going insane or having a weird dream! - it eventually covered about 45 degrees of my central field of view. I could still adequately see 'reality' through the pattern, but it sure was weird. The patterns were semi-transparent, but quite sharp and geometric, with a slight pulsating quality. But then it began to fade again and after fifteen minutes or so it was gone and my vision was back to normal - it was an extremely disconcerting episode. I went online and was relieved to see I wasn't mad, that it was an effect associated with migraine headaches (which, interestingly, I don't have a problem with normally) and wasn't really anything to worry about unless it frequently recurred. I've seen it once more, very briefly and not as vivid, over the last 12 months so I'm not panicking yet..

Anyway, I know that's not really related to your sightings, but it taught me something new about what the brain and eye can get up to when they feel like playing practical jokes..

BTW, yes, that was all just a personal anecdote, so feel free to believe it or not!

How would you distinguish a real orb from dust or camera artifact in a photo? What details would you look for? I've seen orbs on numerous occasions, so I know they exist. I don't expect anyone who hasn't seen them without a camera to change their belief based on anything I say or post, but I have done some research about orbs, I'm really not as credulous as some claim orb-believers are.

How would you distinguish a real orb from dust or camera artifact in a photo? What details would you look for? I've seen orbs on numerous occasions, so I know they exist. I don't expect anyone who hasn't seen them without a camera to change their belief based on anything I say or post, but I have done some research about orbs, I'm really not as credulous as some claim orb-believers are.

All the evidence points to orbs being photographic artifacts.

I would be worried if I saw them with the naked eye,... So my advise to you is to go see an ophthalmologist to get your eyes checked out if it continues.

Edited by Hazzard
1 person likes this

If you've done the necessary research, you would know the answers already.. While I'd be happy to post details about all the reasons for out of focus blobs on any image, it would be pretty long-winded and boring...

Do you have a particular image that you would like analysed, that you think shows a non-photographically-explainable orb? If you do, I would hope you still have both the original image (exif intact) and the camera, and then I can tell you some simple things to test out just how real the orb is .. or isn't.

In simple terms it has to do with the lighting (ie flash), the lens focus setting and depth of field versus the distance of the object, the nature of the optics (lens & sensor characteristics & alignment, aperture size and shape, location of object in the field of view, etc) and of course the object (if any) itself.