Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time Warner Bans All Ads With Guns

BiffSplitkins

Time Warner Cable, the nation's second largest cable company, has banned certain ads from being shown on television if they depict guns.

"We no longer accept ads showing semiautomatic weapons and guns pointed at people," TWC said in a statement over the weekend. "We stand by this policy. If it's essential to a business owner to show this kind of imagery in their commercials, there are other advertising options in the marketplace."

The New York-based multiple system operator's company-wide ban comes just weeks after 20 children and six adult staff member were killed at a school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.

READ MORE

I just don't have words for this. It may be time for me to switch to the Dish Network now for my service provider.

• Like 2

I can't think of any that feature guns, save for advertisements for tv shows. Guess Time Warner isn't going to advertise television shows anymore.

• Like 4

Good, because those commercials were killing people man! Killing them, man!

Er wait, that's just stupid. ;)

• Like 4

Hahaha, like that will make a difference. Things like this are just stupid.

• Like 4

Do they show ads for guns on TV then? What else might they mean, like trailers for movies & so on?

• Like 1

Do they show ads for guns on TV then? What else might they mean, like trailers for movies & so on?

That's what I was pondering as well.

What about a trailer for an upcoming show like 'C.S.I.' or something that shows someone shooting into the camera, will they just ban the ad for that show or the entire show itself?

Or, another possiblitly would be that they realize there really aren't any ads like this out there now and they are using this as a publicity stunt.

Exactly! Just like the five year old girl being examined by a shrink after she pointed a "bubble making gun" at a classmate. It's just out of control stupid now....
  • Like 3

No, there are no ads for guns on television at all. There aren't even any ads for other products which might inadvertently feature guns, that I can think of. So all that's left is to ban advertisements for all of the police dramas.

I wonder if these will be banned?

[media=]

[/media]

NO.. remove anything that normalises Gun Use, Guns should be an absolute final resort, not the resort of first use

Edited by Saru
Removed personal attack

Exactly! Just like the five year old girl being examined by a shrink after she pointed a "bubble making gun" at a classmate. It's just out of control stupid now....

I hadn't heard of that one, that is just insane. LOL I actually laughed at that.

Edited by Saru
Removed response to (now deleted) personal attack

Meanwhile Warner Bros. releases the next blockbuster action bloodbath movie.

• Like 1

The only thing that came to mind for me was ads for computer games like Halo or Call of Duty...

You have a point there Taun. :)

I laughed myself silly when I first read about this. Sure, there are a few ads for stuff like games or toys or movies or shows out there that show people shooting or pointing guns. But I found it pretty darn moot to pull those ads when there is a whole plethora of shows broadcast on Time Warner that have guns all over the place.

Some of these channels would likely lose at least half their programming if shows with guns were blocked.

It's a nice gesture on Time Warner, but a pretty funny one.

• Like 1

Meanwhile Warner Bros. releases the next blockbuster action bloodbath movie.

I was wondering what they had upcoming...

Warner Bros.

Upcoming Releases

er... Bullet to the Head 2/1/13

So I don't suppose they'll be promoting that very much. :blush:

• Like 1

I've noticed no one smokes anymore since they banned cigarette ads.

Edited by Sweetpumper

I think this is funny and hypocritical of them since so many of their shows have guns in them. Whats the difference if its in a advertisement or in a show.

• Like 1

I suppose if an African Aardvark went on a rampage, they would announce that they will no longer run ads that feature Aardvarks... There just aren't that many ads that fit this gun category... so it doesn't hit them in the pocketbook AT ALL..

As Hilander and other have said.. it's very much a hypocritical play for public 'warm and fuzziness' with them... "Oh look at us! We care! We're DOING SOMETHING!"

(I had to use Aardvark as the example... I just love that word!)

Edited by Taun