Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Personal Opinion: Daughter's Hair

RockabyeBillie

Rockabye.. you'll win the arguement... she'll just be the auntie. Tell her to buy her a headband with a bow on it instead of ponytail holders lol

• Like 1

I had the exact opposite problem. I had my hair always cut to shoulder length till about the age of 3, then I had it cropped very short and cut often as my European parents believed that the more often you cut it the thicker and healthier it would grow as I grew older. I hated the short hair and fought them over it for years, finally was allowed a bob hair cut by about the age of nine which was a relief and then started to grow it long in my teens (finally). I think kids always see the grass greener on the other side. I hated knots in my hair even as a teen and if I was honest in hindsight I probably would have hated looking after long hair every day but I felt resentful for their choice and reasons for a lot of years.

Strangely (and I do believe their belief was an old wives tale most of the time) I have fine hair but alot of it, it looks quite thick and hairdressers are surprised at how fine the strands are by comparison, hmmm.

I had this too,except my mom liked the bob cut . I had bob cuts until I was 16,and I told her to leave my calm hair alone .

I resented it ,and have kept my hair long ever since.

I would say let her have it just past her ears ,and as soon as she understands,let her decide ,or she will not appreciate being forced one way or another.

If she wants it long ,she will want to wash it and groom it ,if not,let her cut it .

• Like 2

I have 2 daughters the eldest has the thickest hair you've ever seen and the youngest fine hair. One curly the other waves.

This is just my opinion, it's nice to see girls with a little bit of length so shoulder length when little is good. Once they start pre-school you'll want hair that can be tied up nice and high as nits are rampant from here till the last 2 years of primary school and they always go for clean hair. If your daughter has thick hair ( both my girls had nits once) you'll be spending 2 hours every day for 1 to 2 weeks combing and checking for new outbreaks, not a pleasant experience with a young screaming child.

Also at 7 or 8 an average child isn't capable of looking after long hair properly. You'll still need to go over it with detangling spray and brushing daily. Plus some still need help tying their hair back or if it's a fancy style they want, you'll be doing it. My 11 year old still won't take care of her hair even with threats of getting it cut short, everyone else has to brush it, put it up and I give it a really good shampoo once a week. I think the rest of the time she just sticks her head under the shower. :no:

Also by about 10 you'll be getting into discussions of colour and stuff, my 11 year old is currently sporting a hot pink chunk. Luckily with all the swimming she's doing it's fades quickly to a pretty pale pink. Her hair is about mid to lower shoulder blade length and that's as far as I'll let her have it.

I have 2 daughters the eldest has the thickest hair you've ever seen and the youngest fine hair. One curly the other waves.

This is just my opinion, it's nice to see girls with a little bit of length so shoulder length when little is good. Once they start pre-school you'll want hair that can be tied up nice and high as nits are rampant from here till the last 2 years of primary school and they always go for clean hair. If your daughter has thick hair ( both my girls had nits once) you'll be spending 2 hours every day for 1 to 2 weeks combing and checking for new outbreaks, not a pleasant experience with a young screaming child.

Also at 7 or 8 an average child isn't capable of looking after long hair properly. You'll still need to go over it with detangling spray and brushing daily. Plus some still need help tying their hair back or if it's a fancy style they want, you'll be doing it. My 11 year old still won't take care of her hair even with threats of getting it cut short, everyone else has to brush it, put it up and I give it a really good shampoo once a week. I think the rest of the time she just sticks her head under the shower. :no:

Also by about 10 you'll be getting into discussions of colour and stuff, my 11 year old is currently sporting a hot pink chunk. Luckily with all the swimming she's doing it's fades quickly to a pretty pale pink. Her hair is about mid to lower shoulder blade length and that's as far as I'll let her have it.

Oh head lice... Growing up the oldest of five kids we all got lice at least once a year. I would get mine washed first so I could help Mom wash and brush the rest of the kids' heads. Ug... lol wonderful memories!

I'm hoping my child is like me when it comes to personal hygiene. I can't stand for my hair or face to feel greasy (I shower twice a day) and I can't sleep unless I've brushed my teeth and bathed at night. I found some cute jawline bobs and reverse bobs online that we'll probably go with until she is old enough to decide on her own what she wants to do with her hair.

As for color... if it weren't for my job I'd have crazy colored/styled hair and I'm almost thirty LOL so that won't be an issue for me! If she wants hot pink hair, that's fine. Let her do it while she's young and able to without repercussions from work and the real world. You're only a kid for a little while.

Oh head lice... Growing up the oldest of five kids we all got lice at least once a year. I would get mine washed first so I could help Mom wash and brush the rest of the kids' heads. Ug... lol wonderful memories!

I'm hoping my child is like me when it comes to personal hygiene. I can't stand for my hair or face to feel greasy (I shower twice a day) and I can't sleep unless I've brushed my teeth and bathed at night. I found some cute jawline bobs and reverse bobs online that we'll probably go with until she is old enough to decide on her own what she wants to do with her hair.

As for color... if it weren't for my job I'd have crazy colored/styled hair and I'm almost thirty LOL so that won't be an issue for me! If she wants hot pink hair, that's fine. Let her do it while she's young and able to without repercussions from work and the real world. You're only a kid for a little while.

My mom used to tell me about lice .

I was lucky,and never got it .

As for color,one of my friends is 55 yrs old,and she just dyed her hair bright purple.

She loves it .

• Like 1

Whenever there was an outbreak of lice in my daughter's school, we started adding tea tree oil to her shampoo. She has never had lice, although her freinds all did.

• Like 1

I don't remember ever hearing about lice outbreaks when I was young. Now it seems like every kid gets them at some point.

Whenever there was an outbreak of lice in my daughter's school, we started adding tea tree oil to her shampoo. She has never had lice, although her freinds all did.

I've never heard of that. I'll have to keep it in mind.

I don't remember ever hearing about lice outbreaks when I was young. Now it seems like every kid gets them at some point.

'Way back when', here in the UK our schools were visited on a regular basis by a nurse (usually built like a brick chicken-house), who was universally dubbed 'Nitty Nora', and it was her job to detect head lice among the pupils, and hand out a foul-smelling liquid to be massaged into the hair of the infected ones. I remember how it stank for days, even after washing! (People always knew who'd had the head-lice!)

'Way back when', here in the UK our schools were visited on a regular basis by a nurse (usually built like a brick chicken-house), who was universally dubbed 'Nitty Nora', and it was her job to detect head lice among the pupils, and hand out a foul-smelling liquid to be massaged into the hair of the infected ones. I remember how it stank for days, even after washing! (People always knew who'd had the head-lice!)

You knew who had lice when they did our inspections because they sent the infected kids home.

This is something I don't get. Why do people think they have right to dictate how their siblings dress or groom their child? Sure if you were neglecting your daughter, I would expect your sister to say or do something. But to start an argument because YOU choose to keep YOUR daughter's hair shorter than your sister would like? I would tell her to button it. Your house, your rules.

Bebe I agree with you here. My sister directly eldest has 3 kids, each of whom I have had a personal part of helping to raise with their dad gone and all. They're 3 very sweet individuals with an extremely able mother and I adore them all. If I thought my sister was unable or unwilling to take care of those kids I'd be the first to say something, but at the same time, if I really tried to dictate how SHE dresses her children, or what SHE lets them watch on TV, I have no doubt my sister would have the good sense to tell me where to stick it.

I use to have my hair cut really short when I was a kid too and I didn't like it. I've had it long ever since. There was a time I could sit on it but now just a little past my shoulders is long enough.

Personally I think the kid should have some input on it. Everyone is different and have different hair types.