Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chromefox

New CPU?

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys back again, im going to upgrade the CPU on an acer aspire x3400 and i have been looking into it and a good candidate would be the amd phenom x4 black edition 965 what i would like to do though is pick your brains for a second opinion and see if there is a better cpu thats more up to date or even just compatible, note i will be installing a new cooling system too and it is recased with a new psu . thanks for takin the time to read my babble lol

Anybody know offhand how many cores the intel I7's have these days? I haven't been following for a while. Did the I9's ever come out?

Edited by WoIverine

Take a look at the EMachines

I really recommend Intel to be honest. AMD hasn't been as good as Intel for a while now. (will probably change again at some point)

The AMD Phenom x4 black edition 965 isn't that much of an upgrade over your current processor. I would advise you not to waste the money. It's kinda like buying a whole new engine for your car just to upgrade a 2.0 ltr to a 2.2 ltr. You wouldn't notice much of a performance boost for a processor that costs only a little bit more than your current one.

I'd recommend saving if you don't have the spare money for a new motherboard and CPU. I'd say go Intel and get an i5 or i7.

Anybody know offhand how many cores the intel I7's have these days? I haven't been following for a while. Did the I9's ever come out?

The i7 is quad core.

I'm not sure if the i9 is still coming or if it was re-branded as the i7-980x which is a 6 core processor. (very expensive processor, around £700 to £800)

Edited by Coffey

My desktop i7 has 8 cores, according to Task Manager. Not sure if it's 4-core physical plus 4-core logical. But Task Manager shows 8.

I'm on my much less powerful laptop now, but here are some specs of the desktop.

Gateway FX6840

Intel i7 870

2.93Ghz

8 Gigs Installed RAM

Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.

So, I'm not sure. I presume 4 physical + 4 logical CPU cores.

Edited by pallidin

My desktop i7 has 8 cores, according to Task Manager. Not sure if it's 4-core physical plus 4-core logical. But Task Manager shows 8.

I'm on my much less powerful laptop now, but here are some specs of the desktop.

Gateway FX6840

Intel i7 870

2.93Ghz

8 Gigs Installed RAM

Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.

So, I'm not sure. I presume 4 physical + 4 logical CPU cores.

Yeah it's 4 physical cores. It has 8 threads though, which means it can do 8 tasks. It's more like 4 physical = 8 logical.

Edited by Coffey
1 person likes this

Cool, thanks for the info Coffey. I had been wondering what was going on with intel for a while.

1 person likes this

Thanks Coffey. :yes:

1 person likes this

Hey guys back again, im going to upgrade the CPU on an acer aspire x3400 and i have been looking into it and a good candidate would be the amd phenom x4 black edition 965 what i would like to do though is pick your brains for a second opinion and see if there is a better cpu thats more up to date or even just compatible, note i will be installing a new cooling system too and it is recased with a new psu . thanks for takin the time to read my babble lol

I always buy Athlons.

You can get one thats 4Ghz Octacore (8 cores) for £153 - http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Search/CPUs-Processors/Processors-AMD/ instead of the 3.6Ghz 965.

I've brought off them before and they're reliable.

1 person likes this

No problem guys, always happy to give advice or my opinion. lol

I always buy Athlons.

You can get one thats 4Ghz Octacore (8 cores) for £153 - http://www.microdire...Processors-AMD/ instead of the 3.6Ghz 965.

I've brought off them before and they're reliable.

+ 1 for Microdirect being reliable.

I personally prefer Intel processors at the moment though. :P

Edited by Coffey
1 person likes this