Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Laptop Troubleshooting

Link of Hyrule

Ok, I understand that this isn't really a tech-geek website, but I've never really become a member at any of these sites and am not really sure what to look for. Earlier today I turned on my laptop (well, "turned on" isn't quite right, it was already on but on Sleep mode). So the screen turned on and the main screen where you can load your User Profile (not really sure what the technical name for it is) just didn't show up. The screen showed the Windows screen, but the icon to click on my profile to load up Windows just didn't show.

I vaguely remember this happening once before to my PC, at which point I simply turned off the power and when it Restarted everything was peachy. But with a laptop, it has its own power source so when I unplugged it nothing happened, it just transferred to its own battery power (allowing the battery power to drain to zero did not help, it tried to "save" the current session thus leaving me in the same position I started).

Not really sure what to make of it, and I thought I'd ask the UM tech experts for some help. Thanks in advance, guys :tu:

~ Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Link of Hyrule

• Coffey

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

• little_dreamer

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your user profile is set up in Control Panel under Users or "Computer management" (depends on which version of windows you have).

Try doing a full shutdown and then restart it.

You might want to run a virus/spyware scan too.

Similar thing has happened to me, you can try holding the power button down until it reboots or even pulling the battery for 30 seconds or so.

I think your user profile is set up in Control Panel under Users or "Computer management" (depends on which version of windows you have).

That would imply I have access to my Control Panel - something I don't have since I can't actually access my profiles.
Try doing a full shutdown and then restart it.
Love to - if I could access the Shut Down menu!

You might want to run a virus/spyware scan too.

On the cards, as soon as I can access my Profile.

I vaguely remember this happening once before to my PC, at which point I simply turned off the power and when it Restarted everything was peachy.

Ah don't do that with any computers!!!! lol It's bad.

Hold down the power button on a computer and laptop if it freezes or anything like that, never unplug/turn it off at the plug/power.

On your laptop the button you use to turn it on, hold that down to turn it off as Daughter of the Nine Moons said. Should do the job.

Similar thing has happened to me, you can try holding the power button down until it reboots or even pulling the battery for 30 seconds or so.

I'll try that. The Power button may do the trick. Though to be honest, I have absolutely no idea where my battery is - it's pretty well concealed on my laptop. I hope it doesn't need screws and bolts to open.... But I'll try the Power button

edit: And whaddaya know, the Power button worked. It turned off my laptop and when it rebooted I could access my Profile. Thanks Dottie. You're my hero... well, heroine.... same thing...

Edited by Paranoid Android

I'll try that. The Power button may do the trick. Though to be honest, I have absolutely no idea where my battery is - it's pretty well concealed on my laptop. I hope it doesn't need screws and bolts to open.... But I'll try the Power button

The battery will be easy access on a laptop. It will be a slider lock to open it. But the power button should work anyway.

Ah don't do that with any computers!!!! lol It's bad.

Hold down the power button on a computer and laptop if it freezes or anything like that, never unplug/turn it off at the plug/power.

On your laptop the button you use to turn it on, hold that down to turn it off as Daughter of the Nine Moons said. Should do the job.

Lol, sorry. But as you said, it did the job. Problem solved