Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Someone said I should be an atheist...

NothingSetInStone

I myself am a hardcore devout Christian who doesn't accept a majority of the bible.

I'm a Christian but not a follower of "saint" Paul. I was an atheist many moons ago. I went through my blind phase.

I'm a Christian but not a follower of "saint" Paul. I was an atheist many moons ago. I went through my blind phase.

I was a Christian...then Buddhist.....now an Atheist.

Say, what do think of this? I hope you ain't blinded by its light.

I'm ahead of you. Acts of men are not an act of Christ. That's a "funny" video by an atheist.

Euro Ninja, you are 100% correct in that "Acts of men are not an act of Christ," I, as the video states,

wish I could say that the reverse of your statement were true, too.

To the OP, simply discover what you truly are, and go from there. Simple.

I follow no religion, so restriction by traditions aren't a problem.

From your OP you are a theist not an atheist. Theism can come in many forms from; animism, paganism, pantheism, through to difernt types of monotheism, and back to gaeaism. But, as other posters note, you should define yourself, not allow others to define you, or worry about how they define you.

A theist would be (IMO) an accurate, factual description of the beliefs you outlined in your OP.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

• Like 1

Euro Ninja, you are 100% correct in that "Acts of men are not an act of Christ," I, as the video states,

wish I could say that the reverse of your statement were true, too.

I'm not trying to convert you. I hope you didn't make that assumption. You don't have to agree with me.

I guess it's a normal desire for others to want us to label and define what we think and believe about ourselves and things so that we can better understand each other, I dislike the idea of labeling myself or my beliefs because I will usually make a lie-r out of myself when I change my mind...

• Like 1

Dogs less intelligent? So tell me...can humans predict earthquakes before they hit?

Dogs can 'predict' earthquakes due to ground tremours etc, There sense of hearing is the reason... I do not think this is completely 'agreed' upon but with current studies done, the evidence seems to stack with it.

Therefore they do no 'Predict' and Earthquake, they hear them coming.

Which is what I personally have done also - Once I heard a rumble? Said to my Flatmate, is that a earthquake? He said... No? then a mintue or two later we had a earthquake? Consindence? maybe... but that expereince makes me beleive the hearing theroy correct.

Kind Regards,

Me :)

Edited by The Id3al Experience

I dislike the idea of labeling myself or my beliefs because I will usually make a lie-r out of myself when I change my mind...

The older we get the more likely we will manage to change our belief system and needs. As long as you're being honest to yourself the changes you make don't make you a liar. We are all finding our way to our true lasting happiness. It just happens that Jesus Christ has the best offer.
  • Like 1

Is there a religion at all like I'm describing? If not, does anyone have any input on this?

Google for "atheist christian". There are plenty of those. I guess I could count myself as one.

Meaning that I do acknowlegde the history and contribution of Christianity in Western culture (and "like the rituals" as you put it), but I don´t believe any of the religionist nonsense that it contains.

• Like 1

In a way I'm that kind of Buddhist. I think the Buddha story is a nice tradition, but take out all the wonderments and miracles and you have a nice story of a traveling mendicant monk starting a monastic movement out of an original set of ideas derived from more ancient Indian ideas. The thing is, I like his ideas. They make sense.

And of course there are the rituals and chants and beautiful art and temples. I like those too.

But I know a ton of agnostics and they insist I can't be one if I attend mass, even if I explain to them it's less about being catholic and more about ideas of redemption and forgiveness.

You would define what I believe as agnosticism?

I am glad you go to mass, the peace you feel perhaps comes for the Sacrament, perhaps a grace to keep you within certain boundaries. Do you pray? The central core of the Christian is that God became man, suffered for us and with us, died and rose. It all falls on the realilty of the resurrection. We are each unique, don't let anyone tell you how you should label yourself, some can't be, perhaps you are one of them. Read the "the dark night of the sou" by St. John of the cross.

(Songs of the soul delighted at having reached the high state of perfection, the union with God, by way of spiritual negation.)

On a darkened night,

Anxious, by love inflamed,

-- O happy chance! --

Unnoticed, I took flight,

My house at last at peace and quiet.

Safe, disguised by the night,

By the secret ladder I took flight,

-- O happy chance! --

Cloaked by darkness, I scaled the height,

My house at last at peace and quiet.

On that blessed night,

In secret, and seen by none,

None in sight,

I saw with no other guide or light,

But the one burning in my heart bright.

This guide, this light,

Brighter than the midday sun,

Led me to the waiting One

I knew so well -- my delight!

To a place with none in sight.

O night! O guide!

O night more loving than the dawn!

O night that joined

The lover with the Beloved;

Transformed, the lover into the Beloved drawn!

Upon my flowered breast,

For him alone kept fair,

There he slept

There I caressed,

There the cedars gave us air.

I drank the turret's cool air

Spreading playfully his hair.

And his hand, so serene,

Cut my throat. Drained

Of senses, I dropped unaware.

Lost to myself and yet remaining,

Inclined so only the Beloved I spy.

All has ceased, all rests,

Even my cares, even I;

Lost among the lilies, there I die.

http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/J/JohnoftheCro/DarkNight.htm

Peace

mark

• Like 2

Now that I'm older, I don't really believe in a Christian god, well not as its defined by Christians......

There is some sort of force governing us. Whatever causes the ebb and flow of nature, that's what I believe in..

Yeah, Jesus said "God is a spirit", and God himself said "I fill heaven and earth", so we can regard him like 'The Force' in Star Wars.. :)

And we can tap into that strong fatherly power ourselves-

"Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty POWER" -Ephesians 6:10

"Come near to God and he will come near to you" James 4:8

fury.gif

Edited by Crikey

And we can tap into that strong fatherly power ourselves-

... so go ahead and tap. In same way that others tap into the strong fatherly powers of Elvis, or of Ron Hubbart.

Edited by Zaphod222

... so go ahead and tap. In same way that others tap into the strong fatherly powers of Elvis, or of Ron Hubbart.

Whatever floats your boat. BUT The proof of the pudding is in the eating. :innocent: