Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lightning may cause headaches

Still Waters

Lightning could cause headaches and migraines, according to researchers who found that people are 25 per cent more likely to develop symptoms on the day of a strike.

http://www.telegraph...-headaches.html

I have noticed this before myself,mainly during hurricane season horrible headaches and blood pressure goes up when one comes through.

lol. I thought this was a 'Science says you're far more likely to have headaches if you've been struck by lightning' sorta thing till I read it.

I was about to pull a smart aleck response like:

+_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png

Edited by AquilaChrysaetos

Hahahaha

Personally I love thunder and lightning, I try to get out in it as much as possible, (where I can be safe of course) its LOUD, scary, exhilarating, exciting, you feel the tremendous 'power' of nature, its a buzz.!! No pun intended.

Never gave me a headache but I do feel oddly energized by thunder storms, maybe thats just the adrenaline though

I get a sinus headache or mirgraine (or both) before every storm without fail. Sometimes it feels as if my whole face is being crushed. I always figured it was from the change in barometric pressure though. I wonder if lightening itself makes my headaches worse.

Edited by RavenEyes19

Lightning could cause headaches and migraines, according to researchers who found that people are 25 per cent more likely to develop symptoms on the day of a strike.

http://www.telegraph...-headaches.html

I wonder if this has anything to do with socalled positive and negative ions in the air.

During dry and hot weather there is a build up of positive ions in the air and at some point lightning strikes. If it also starts raining, the pos/neg ion ratio comes into balance again.

These positive ions appear to increase the secretion of serotonin and histamines, hence allergic reactions and migraines.

Edited by Abramelin

I absolutely LOVE the sound of thunder,lightning & rain when I need to get into my 'sleep' mode.It lulls me to sleep.These sounds make you appreciate the sounds of nature at it's most powerful,when all around you is supposedly in danger,when you are in the safest environment of your cosy little home.

Edited by GirlfromOz
  • Like 1

While not yet mainstream medicine, TMS and rTMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation & Repetitive TMS) are being tried for the treatment for migraine headaches. I can't help but wonder if lightning, which produces a fairly respectable EM pulse, might not be related to that work.

• Like 1