Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should Cigarettes Be Illegal?

Hasina

But why do you think I am a taker? I work very hard and I am a very respectful person! But alas, I am from 'that generation.' You know, the generation that our parents generation says are 'takers.' Well they are the ones who raised us! lol ;)

I just think overall, that in my 45 years on this world that the current crop is more self absorbed. I saw a article once that showed what people most hoped to gain in life. 50 years ago, they hoped for happiness and a good family, and currently the biggest hope is for Fame or Recognition. The article claimed that todays young adults would rather be Famous then be Smart, or Wealthy, or Successful, or Educated. That is a new phenomena. People used to "worship" famous people and hoped to meet them some day. But now people hope to Be them and do so Quickly.

I tried it in my youth. I was out in 5 mins and didn't move all night. The doctor told me to stay right away from it. I am also allerrgic to cigarette and wood smoke. It is a real pain in the ****, I will tell you. BUT the big part is, my choice to be smoke free is being taken away from me. That is what I find the most frustrating.

You would have hated the house I grew up in. Mobile home with a wood stove, with 4 to 5 layers of smoke in it at any one time.... cigarette smoke (Mom), cigar smoke (Dad), cooking smoke (Deep fat frier of fries), wood smoke (open woodstove), and the general malaise of poverty. :tu:

To bad non smokers don`t realize how much tax goes towards there healthcare. A couple hours in a bar big deal, second hand smoke yet they spend endless hours in the sun getting skin cancer. . Until smoking is outlawed outright the owners should have the choice to be none smoking or not and leave it up to the patrans to go there or not. To hell to those who need government to dictate a none smoker has a right to go into a smoking bar and tell everyone to butt out.

• Like 1

WELL...I now have to move from the fourplex I am living in because I am highly allergic to pot smoke. A new tenant moved in and says she is not smoking it in the building, but we smell it quite often. She said that she agreed with the no smoking in the building before she moved in, and has smoked not only cigarettes in the building, but, pot, too. It is making both me and my daughter sick. How can someone be so selfish and callous to do this kind of thing? This kind of person makes other smokers look bad, and it is a shame because I have been around some great smokers who don't smoke around others just because they can.

This kind of smoker? But every smoker is like that. They all think the world ends with them and that their smoke just disappears went it enters their bodies.

They never truly understand what an annoyance they are to others and they don't care. They refuse to understand the true magnitude of the consequences of their behavior because they limit their thinking and are selfish.

• Like 2

I use to smoke, on occasion. Up until maybe two or three years ago, all men in Vietnam smoked, and it was normal to offer a man a cigarette, and quite rude to fail to take it and smoke.

Now that has stopped; the government finally woke up and started an anti-smoking campaign. Now I can decline a cigarette with no problem, and haven't had one in several years. I think maybe I was never really addicted. About two-thirds of men here have stopped.

I notice a pretty sharp distinction in the classes on this. Party members and professionals and so on have all stopped, so now those still smoking are the poorer educated and so on. Is this the case elsewhere?

You would have hated the house I grew up in. Mobile home with a wood stove, with 4 to 5 layers of smoke in it at any one time.... cigarette smoke (Mom), cigar smoke (Dad), cooking smoke (Deep fat frier of fries), wood smoke (open woodstove), and the general malaise of poverty. :tu:

I grew up in a house that never had the proper pipes/ventilation for the wood stove. My dad was a chain smoker who would not allow us to open the windows in the car when he was smoking because it would let in cold air (obviously in winter). The doctor reckons this is where my asthma/allergy to smoke comes from

This kind of smoker? But every smoker is like that. They all think the world ends with them and that their smoke just disappears went it enters their bodies.

They never truly understand what an annoyance they are to others and they don't care. They refuse to understand the true magnitude of the consequences of their behavior because they limit their thinking and are selfish.

Yeah, have met many of those.

The brush you're painting with is way too wide, like by a few miles. No, of course 'every' smoker is not like that. There are selfish and non-selfish people, period; I'm not sure there is any correlation between those groups and the groups of smokers and non-smokers.

• Like 1

One of my sons still smokes, although everyone else has stopped. I must say he is so polite about it, it is almost embarrassing. He goes out onto the balcony, by himself, and puts out the cigarette if anyone joins him. He won't even do that if there is a baby in the room.

They never truly understand what an annoyance they are to others and they don't care.

tumblr_m3be35GAXp1rtcfaqo1_500.gif

They refuse to understand the true magnitude of the consequences of their behavior because they limit their thinking and are selfish.

Why hello Pot! I'm Kettle! Man you sure are black.

• Like 1

This is a pretty arrogant statement!As i said i only smoke when i drink and if there are any non-smokers around i always go outside.I guess if you own a vehicle that runs on gas we all need to start calling you a hypocrite because you are polluting the air we breath,volcano's ban them,anything that ever burns ban,ban,ban.Not trying to be a smartass but on this topic your arrogance and assumptions are way out there man.

This is a pretty arrogant statement!As i said i only smoke when i drink and if there are any non-smokers around i always go outside.I guess if you own a vehicle that runs on gas we all need to start calling you a hypocrite because you are polluting the air we breath,volcano's ban them,anything that ever burns ban,ban,ban.Not trying to be a smartass but on this topic your arrogance and assumptions are way out there man.

I would agree.

I only smoke when not around non-smoker's... I respect their issue with it. I will go outside without reservation, and they respect that.

When I've had my times of non-smoking, weeks, months or even years, I could not handle being around cigarette smoke, so I do understand it from personal experience. During my non-smoking periods, being around, inhaling smoke made me so dizzy.

My take on this is this... cigarette smoke is a powerful, nearly immediate drug that is very disconcerting to non-smokers. As such, I choose to respect both my own desire to smoke but, more especially, getting myself away from non-smokers when I do lite-up.

• Like 2

I just think overall, that in my 45 years on this world that the current crop is more self absorbed. I saw a article once that showed what people most hoped to gain in life. 50 years ago, they hoped for happiness and a good family, and currently the biggest hope is for Fame or Recognition. The article claimed that todays young adults would rather be Famous then be Smart, or Wealthy, or Successful, or Educated. That is a new phenomena. People used to "worship" famous people and hoped to meet them some day. But now people hope to Be them and do so Quickly.

Well you now can say you have talked to someone from that generation who still hopes for happiness and a good family. I would much rather be smart and successful than be famous. In my opinion, fame is glorified to such an extent that it is laughable. I would hate to be famous because I love my privacy. I do agree with you though, many people in my generation do want fame and recognition above all else. It is very sad to watch from my perspective, but it is your generation that utterly failed to raise us to value the right things (not you in particular, but your generation). Not my parents, but many parents of people I know failed to raise their kids with the right values. They were lazy parents, letting their children be raised by TV, video games, and social media. So sad.

Good to see there are so many positive counterreactions to my extreme statements. Shows that smokers are becoming aware and the "smoking is cool" image is shifting towards the "smoking is simply something to be ashamed off".

Nice.

Sometimes it takes extreme statements to get out the real emotions behind something, in this case ppl honestly coming forward saying they are fully aware smoking is an annoyance and something not to burden others with.

Good to see there are so many positive counterreactions to my extreme statements. Shows that smokers are becoming aware and the "smoking is cool" image is shifting towards the "smoking is simply something to be ashamed off".

Nice.

Not to be ashamed of, it's an activity I know others don't enjoy, so why force them to be around it? Now could they stop trying to ban smoking outside?

• Like 3

Nice.

Sometimes it takes extreme statements to get out the real emotions behind something, in this case ppl honestly coming forward saying they are fully aware smoking is an annoyance and something not to burden others with.

I am not ashamed off smoking occasionally,just courteous to others.

Not to be ashamed of, it's an activity I know others don't enjoy, so why force them to be around it? Now could they stop trying to ban smoking outside?

You beat me by about 1 min with that response :lol:

With the exception of activities that include kids, I am ok with smoking outside. I was so p***ed when my daughter was playing ball and a dad watching the game stood in front of the bleachers, blowing smoke in everyone's space.

• 7 months later...